Gateway2000 G6-300

I have been given a gateway2000 G6-300s Computer system and it has a lot of
personal things on there. I would like to restore the computer to it's
factory settings but I am not sure if I even have those discs. I can't
seem to find any info on this model and what would come with it and am so
confused!

The computer came with Wondows 95 and has been upgraded to Windows 98 and
I have both CDs.

Where do I start?

I am assuming that you want to wipe out the "personal things" of the previous
person in possession of the system? What about any potentially useful software
over and above the operating system? Is it important to keep, too?

The next step depends on your anwers to the questions.

For example, you could wipe out the entire contents of the My Documents folder,
delete all the Outlook or Outlook Express email info, and delete all temporary
files, cookies, and temporary internet files. That would clean out the
"personal things" pretty well.

Or reformat the hard drive and install Windows from scratch. Then you might
also need driver files for the graphics card, sound card, and/or motherboard
chipset. Finally, Microsoft insists on a Certificate of Authentication that
matches whatever version of Windows you install.

The software that came with the computer originally may or may not have included
something other than Windows. If the original owner also bought a copy of
Microsoft Office, then there ought to be a Microsoft Office CD kicking around.

Hope that helps you get started. If not, post some more questions and describe
more of the materials (CDs etc) you have there... Ben Myers

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 00:02:24 -0400, "BtflFntsy" <kkejkt@msn.com> wrote:

>I have been given a gateway2000 G6-300s Computer system and it has a lot of
>personal things on there. I would like to restore the computer to it's
>factory settings but I am not sure if I even have those discs. I can't
>seem to find any info on this model and what would come with it and am so
>confused!
>
>The computer came with Wondows 95 and has been upgraded to Windows 98 and
>I have both CDs.
>
>Where do I start?

I have a bunch of discs that don't really identify themselves as a restore
disc. I would like to just wipe the computer clean and start over to see
how this computer performs at it's clean state. This is the software I
have...

Microsoft Office 97
Gateway 2000 Information Highway
Webster's Encyclopedia
Encarta 97
Jack Nicklaus DVD-Rom
Gateway Internet
HP Creative Solutions Projection Kit
Warner Music Group DVD
American Greetings CreateaCard
Microsoft Bookshelf 98
Microsoft IE 4.1
Mpact Restoration disc (video driver)
Microsoft Streets 98
Online Component Manual
Windows 95
Windows 98
Upgrade Companion CD (assume this goes with W98)
Printshop PE 5.0
HP Desk Jet 720C Series (printer)
Norton system Works
Impact Mediaware
Intellipoint (mouse)
Windows Update
Microsoft Works

Some of these I know have nothing to do with the system.
Like I said before I want to wipe this computer clean and start over. Even
install Windows Washer to clean the regestry. I know this will take a few
days to complete and I am up to the task! lol

Thanks for your help.

Sorry for the piggy back posts but wanted to add that I have the
certificates for both Windows OS.

Thanks again.

Well I put in the Windows98 CD and followed the directions.

It didn't ask for the Windows 95 CD nor did it install brand new even
though I followed the instructions in the Windows 98 Manual.

I've done it three times hoping that it will take.

My only question is should I have put it in a different folder? I just
left the default destination thinking it would overide everything.
C:/WINDOWS

When system came back up everything was just as it was. <sigh>

Any thoughts?
Thanks

If the Windows 98 CD is NOT an upgrade version, insert CD in the CD-ROM drive,
reformat the hard drive and then reinstall Windows. Reformatting effectively
wipes the disk clean of all the junk on it. Then install the MPact video driver
and the printer software. Next, go on the internet, download the latest
Internet Explorer 6.1, and install it. The IE you have there is quite obsolete.
idea how useful and valuable they are. Some of the software titles there are
quite dated.

If the computer does not have a network card and you have a broadband internet
connection, install a network card.

If the Windows 98 CD will not allow you to reformat the hard drive, go to
www.bootdisk.com and download a Win 98 boot disk IMAGE, and run the program to
create a full boot diskette with FDISK and FORMAT... Ben Myers

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 09:35:03 -0400, "BtflFntsy" <kkejkt@msn.com> wrote:

>I have a bunch of discs that don't really identify themselves as a restore
>disc. I would like to just wipe the computer clean and start over to see
>how this computer performs at it's clean state. This is the software I
>have...
>
>Microsoft Office 97
>Gateway 2000 Information Highway
>Webster's Encyclopedia
>Encarta 97
>Jack Nicklaus DVD-Rom
>Gateway Internet
>HP Creative Solutions Projection Kit
>Warner Music Group DVD
>American Greetings CreateaCard
>Microsoft Bookshelf 98
>Microsoft IE 4.1
>Mpact Restoration disc (video driver)
>Microsoft Streets 98
>Online Component Manual
>Windows 95
>Windows 98
>Upgrade Companion CD (assume this goes with W98)
>Printshop PE 5.0
>HP Desk Jet 720C Series (printer)
>Norton system Works
>Impact Mediaware
>Intellipoint (mouse)
>Windows Update
>Microsoft Works
>
>Some of these I know have nothing to do with the system.
>Like I said before I want to wipe this computer clean and start over. Even
>install Windows Washer to clean the regestry. I know this will take a few
>days to complete and I am up to the task! lol
>
>Thanks for your help.

The Windows 98 is the upgrade version.

Should I follow the same directions with Windows 95 and then upgrade to
98?

If you start with the Win 98 upgrade disk it will ask for insertion of the
Win95 disk for proof of it's existence. Regular install from that point!

"BtflFntsy" <kkejkt@msn.com> wrote in message
> The Windows 98 is the upgrade version.
>
> Should I follow the same directions with Windows 95 and then upgrade to
> 98?

Good! Thanks for the reminder. Cobwebs start to form when I think about some
of the older combos of software and upgrades and software and upgrades...

.... Ben Myers

"BtflFntsy" <kkejkt@msn.com> wrote in message news:f43e9867f57f25579d3c1911ce2a029d@localhost.talkaboutcomputing.com...
> I have been given a gateway2000 G6-300s Computer system and it has a lot of
> personal things on there. I would like to restore the computer to it's
> factory settings but I am not sure if I even have those discs. I can't
> seem to find any info on this model and what would come with it and am so
> confused!
>
> The computer came with Wondows 95 and has been upgraded to Windows 98 and
> I have both CDs.
>
> Where do I start?

Last summer I upgraded a Gp6-300 (June-98) to Win2k sp4.
Since the original drive was only 4 GB, I put in a new
Maxtor 40GB, formatted NTFS, and started fresh.

Before I started I put in the latest Intel Bios for the
4A4LL0X0 motherboard which is P18 (October 1998). This
allows you to boot from the CD ROM.

Look for file: 7502621.exe if you have the 4A4LL0X0 motherboard.

The only hardware adjustment necessary for Win2k was
to swap out the STB 4/8 MEG video card for a SIS 6326.
I also removed the video sound jumper from between the
CD-ROM and the sound card. That video card has a hardware
decoder for a DVD drive.

The SIS 6326 card was already in the Hardware wizard and
needed no new drivers.

We are also running Office 2k sp3, ActiveState Perl, and
IE 6 sp1.

In order to deter spyware and coolwebsearch variants I've
set the user as restricted, but the group policy settings
allow me to elevate the user for installs -- that's how
I got Office 2k Apps to open without prompts.

I wouldn't be surprised if I could also get Linux to
install too now that both sound and video are running on
standardized external cards.

good luck,
gnu customer

You have to format the drive first to get a clean install.

In news:cd1f3fde495458abab914e2c7fbe8a04@localhost.talkaboutcomputing.com,
BtflFntsy <kkejkt@msn.com> stated
| Well I put in the Windows98 CD and followed the directions.
|
| It didn't ask for the Windows 95 CD nor did it install brand new even
| though I followed the instructions in the Windows 98 Manual.
|
| I've done it three times hoping that it will take.
|
| My only question is should I have put it in a different folder? I just
| left the default destination thinking it would overide everything.
| C:/WINDOWS
|
| When system came back up everything was just as it was. <sigh>
|
| Any thoughts?
| Thanks

By George I think she's got it! Big relief. Never done this before and
after many head scratchings the final stages of the clean install is
underway. Drivers are being installed and soon I will see if I did this
right.

Thanks all for your help.

Right. See my earlier posting. The DOS mode command is:

FORMAT C:

Also, once you have reformatted the drive, you will have wiped out all traces of
the previous installation of Windows. The odds are excellent that the Windows
98 UPDATE install CD will ask for the Windows 95 CD to be inserted to make sure
you are doing an "update".

.... Ben Myers

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 19:38:56 GMT, "Joan F \(MI\)"
<jjfahl@removethisameritech.net> wrote:

>You have to format the drive first to get a clean install.
>
>In news:cd1f3fde495458abab914e2c7fbe8a04@localhost.talkaboutcomputing.com,
>BtflFntsy <kkejkt@msn.com> stated
>| Well I put in the Windows98 CD and followed the directions.
>|
>| It didn't ask for the Windows 95 CD nor did it install brand new even
>| though I followed the instructions in the Windows 98 Manual.
>|
>| I've done it three times hoping that it will take.
>|
>| My only question is should I have put it in a different folder? I just
>| left the default destination thinking it would overide everything.
>| C:/WINDOWS
>|
>| When system came back up everything was just as it was. <sigh>
>|
>| Any thoughts?
>| Thanks

Alright. The clean install did great. Just what I needed done.
BUT (there's always a but isn't there?)

Now the computer wont detect the modem. I have spent all day trying to get
the darn computer to install the modem.

I have a floppy for the driver but the most recient update is 2000.
Anyway, the modem installs but my internet connection can't find it. When
I look in the properties it's not set on the port it installed to. So it
seems the modem is installed on Communication Port (comm 1) (the only port
there is) and the driver gets put on port 1 - port 4 it's different
everytime I look.

All I want is to get online and spend, oh about 4 days on Windows update
updating the darn thing ;)

I tried to install MSN8 and get online that way but it errored out and now
my disply setting are gone.

I gave up for the day.
Any input would be appreciated.

BTW the modem is a Telepath with x2. I have version 1.41.017 and the
update 1.60.020

Scott

BtflFntsy,

I've installed Win98 on several blank hard drives. Typically, the
full Windows98 CD doesn't install properly. What always works for
me is to use the Windows98 Upgrade CD. Along the way, it will ask
for the Win95 CD to be inserted for verification, and then the installation
finishes normally.

Scott

BtflFntsy wrote:

> Well I put in the Windows98 CD and followed the directions.
>
> It didn't ask for the Windows 95 CD nor did it install brand new even
> though I followed the instructions in the Windows 98 Manual.
>
> I've done it three times hoping that it will take.
>
> My only question is should I have put it in a different folder? I just
> left the default destination thinking it would overide everything.
> C:/WINDOWS
>
> When system came back up everything was just as it was. <sigh>
>
> Any thoughts?
> Thanks

TRENDING THREADS