Gddr5 vs ddr5 vs ddr3

Jun 15, 2018
Which one is faster I'm looking at budget card options and I am gaming on it do I go for 1 gig gddr5 or 2 gig ddr5. My system has a gt 710 2 gig ddr5, 8gig of ram and, i5 750. I'm pretty much asking upgrading options for low profile preferably under 60$.

Solution
There is no such thing as ddr5 plus the 710 only has ddr3 and gddr5 versions. The gpu itself is more important than vram type. A 730 would not be a significant upgrade. Save more money for a better upgrade.

You completely missed the point, they are the same, when discussing GPU's. Many just forget to put G infron of DDR.

There is a difference between ddr3, which is used for cpus and gpus, and gddr3 which is based off of ddr2. But there is no ddr5 (yet) and it's an error for gddr5. You an use gpuz to see what vram type you currently have. I'll bet you a 1060 it's not ddr5.

What kind of card were you hoping to upgrade to? About the only low-profile card that you are currently likely to find that offers significantly better performance in the sub-$100 price range would be the GT 1030 2GB, which should be somewhere around three times as fast as what you have. They're currently priced higher than you were hoping to spend though, generally over $90.

Another card I can think of would be the GTX 750, but I believe low-profile versions of those were uncommon. Those should offer relatively comparable or slightly better performance than a GT 1030 in many games, but only have 1GB of VRAM, which would likely hurt performance in others.

For around $60, you can probably find something like a GT 730 or an R7 240, but don't expect them to be much more than 40-50% faster than a GT 710. I would consider it worthwhile to spend another $30 or so for something like a GT 1030, which should be more than twice as fast as those cards.

TRENDING THREADS