GE Announces Kepler Graphics Card for Military and Aviation

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

If you read just a few words further, I say where I got the four times number. The best possible DP to SP ratio is 1 to 1 (and even then, it comes at the price of hindered SP performance), so the best possible performance for a GCN based compute card is four times faster than a similar GCN consumer card (only true for the 79xx cards because the rest of them, although they use GCN, have less of the compute oriented improvements than the 79xx cards, leaving them only ahead of Kepler. For example, the 7870 is a little ahead of the GTX 680, but that's hardly an achievement).

The 7970 has a 1 to 4 DP to SP compute ratio, meaning that it's SP compute performance is about one fourth of it's SP compute performance. Professional cards are better at compute than consumer cards because they have modifications to improve that ratio.

I was explaining why GCN would not beat Kepler, based on current information about the two. I'm not fabricating things, I'm using known information to show why you are wrong. You were wrong and you were denying it and accusing someone else of being wrong, so I used wording appropriate for that. All of my numbers and alpha's numbers are freely available information from Tom's, Anand, Nvidia, and AMD.

redeye

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2005
20000 dollars for this card!... you know that it has to be mil-speced and cost-Prohibitive in order for miltary to consider it... LOL

It's a compute card, so it's automatically overpriced. That it beats many of the previous multi-thousand dollar compute cards in performance, all while using a mere fraction of their power, and being rugged enough for military use, it's price actually isn't bad for what it is.

If there's one thing NVidia foresaw is the need for GPGPU. It was smart enough to actively develop and pursue customers in this market. Now AMD can't even get near this market, and NVidia's got it cornered.

I think that you're overstating AMDs loss in this. AMD is doing very well compared to Nvidia, just not quite as good. This is the closest that AMD has ever been to Nvidia in compute. AMD is most certainly not cornered, I think that it's Nvidia who should be worried, especially with AMD having proven that they can hang with Nvidia, even in the high end. AMD is right behind them and Nvidia now knows that AMD is a true threat in this market.

I was explaining why GCN would not beat Kepler, based on current information about the two. I'm not fabricating things, I'm using known information to show why you are wrong. You were wrong and you were denying it and accusing someone else of being wrong, so I used wording appropriate for that. All of my numbers and alpha's numbers are freely available information from Tom's, Anand, Nvidia, and AMD.

You are still trying to compare the consumer card vs this card listed here so your still wrong.

If GE made a similar AMD version - then I guess all this talk would be laid to rest. There's no way to prove or disprove how a card would perform if GE made a non-consumer card out of GCN. So you just sound like a complete fanboy by trying to say im COMPLETELY WRONG, to which im not.

You can give all the benchmarks/information in the world, but as long as there's no actual card to compare it to - you cannot say i'm completely wrong. Simple as that.

So you can shove your your crap somewhere else.

You have failed at reading comprehension and understanding this topic. The FP64 cores have a 1 to 1 SP to DP ratio. This 384 core card has one fifth of the amount of cores that the GTX 680 has. However, it has more than four times more performance than the GTX 680. That means that a card with one fifth the amount of cores has over four times more DP performance. The low core count card has a 1 to 1 SP to DP ratio. The 680 has a 1 to 24 SP to DP ratio. The difference in ratio is almost exactly identical to the relative difference in performance relative to the ratio. This card is about half as fast as the Radeon 7970 at DP math, despite it almost definitely using about one fourth to one fifth of the power (power usage number based on this card's specifications relative to the other Kepler cards and the card's of it's SP performance levels, a much better factor for determining power usage than DP performance is). In order to compete with it, GCN would need a 1 to 1 DP to SP ratio, which is four times better than the ratio in the Radeon 79xx cards. Even then, Kepler would still win, just not by a huge amount, due to it being a more optimized solution. Thanks for the conversation, but you are wrong and I hope you realize why you are wrong by

Thanks for your "information". See my reply above. Your still trying to think i'm comparing A CONSUMER GRADE GPU TO A NON CONSUMER GRADE GPU.

You can throw all the numbers out there you want, but if there's no similar GPU offering from GE with AMD inside you cannot compare them at all.

We compared it to both consumer and professional cards to illustrate the difference. A professional GCN card can not be more than x times faster for DP compute performance than the similarly consumer GCN cards for SP, where x is the SP in the SP to DP ratio. That is a fundamental law of mathematics that can not be changed. Kepler FP64 is better at DP compute than professional GCN's theoretical best and that's a fact. Beyond that, GCN might not even get a 1 to 1 ratio, it might max out at 1 DP to 2 SP (which is actually likely), so at best, it would be between one third and one half of Kepler's DP performance in the same SP performance range.

Kepler FP64 wins in DP performance and there is no getting around that.

[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]Hmmm...from wikipedia:GK107 is used in OEM versions of the GT 630 and 640. This is probably a cousin of the GT 640 DDR5 version. 80GB/s memory bandwidth, 729.6 GFLOPS from 75w. That gives it 9.73 GFLOPS/W. Thus this is likely a 63w card, unless the EXK107 is even more power optimized.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeFor [...] s#ProductsBTW, now i think i know where most of the kepler parts are going[/citation]

That wiki is using SP performance, not DP performance, and this card has less memory bandwidth than the GT 640 GDDR5 (not DDR5, GDDR5 and DDR5 are very different). The lower clocked memory will decrease power usage. Beyond that, this card is likely more power optimized (as you suggested) since it's a professional card.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Ah. I think i'll have to read the thread again (with respect to SP and DP, i don't know the details, beyond the fact that i presume SP=>Stream processing).

I know it's got less memory bandwidth, but if you assume power use should scale with mem bandwidth, at 63w, you would get about 67 GB/s, which is close to the reported bandwidth of this card. Of course, i'm only making a rough estimate.

My bad on the omission of the G from GDDR, but i was talking about the same thing. It's a bit difficult to be accurate about something you're not really paying attention to (as me omitting the G wouldn't have reduced the bandwidth!) ;)

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Ah. Interesting. Didn't know that. Btw i edited the post a bit, so now it reads the other way around wrt power and mem bandwidth.

Thanks for the SP/DP thing too! :)

Edit: Yeah because double precision would calculate a decimal place more? Tough i don't see why that would result in 1/10 of the SP performance. I'll just look it up, actually :D

Lol you keep adding more! New stuff to learn every time i refresh the page...thanks a lot though, appreciate it :)

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Ah so it's float and double stuff. I was totally missing the point. I was thinking...god that was dumb. lol. And it's even sadder because i've been coding on C++ for a while now. Guess i should go to sleep :D

f-14

Distinguished
this will not play crisis, there is no pci-e bridge if this is the right picture, so no windows , no windows, no crisis. and it amuses me because the author failed to do some research and yet still printed this:
....as well as 16 GBps external PCI Express bandwidth.

Status
Not open for further replies.