Question Gear 2 setting for 3200 DDR4 shows incorrectly in CPU-Z

Jan 19, 2022
HI. Got a new Lenovo P1 Gen 4 laptop with Tiger Lake i7-11850H processor.
Has 32G of 3200 DDR4 Micron memory in dual channel, two 16G sticks.
Understand that Intel forces it into Gear 2 mode. So memory controller runs at half speed of memory freq.
I believe the memory controller will be running at about 800mhz while dram runs at 1600mhz.
I believe this results in slightly worse performance then if set to Gear 1. However, Lenovo give you no way to get into BIOS to make any changes to any speeds.

CPU-Z is giving a reading of 798 for DRAM freq. I think it is an error in CPU-Z.
But, I want to ensure that Lenovo has not throttled back my memory speed for some reason. I d

I know that DDR4 is double data rate and normally one would expect about 1600 in the CPU-Z DRAM frequency which yields the 3200 stated speed of the memory stick.
However, with Gear 2, I wonder if CPU-Z is reading the memory controller freq rather than the actual Dram freq.

HWiNFO64 states the memory frequency as 1596 and shows Gear 2.

So, can anyone help confirm that in fact my memory is running at full speed (ie about 1600 freq) even though Gear 2 and CPU-Z reporting the dram freq at 798?

Thanks

HI. Got a new Lenovo P1 Gen 4 laptop with Tiger Lake i7-11850H processor.
Has 32G of 3200 DDR4 Micron memory in dual channel, two 16G sticks.
Understand that Intel forces it into Gear 2 mode. So memory controller runs at half speed of memory freq.
I believe the memory controller will be running at about 800mhz while dram runs at 1600mhz.
I believe this results in slightly worse performance then if set to Gear 1. However, Lenovo give you no way to get into BIOS to make any changes to any speeds.

CPU-Z is giving a reading of 798 for DRAM freq. I think it is an error in CPU-Z.
But, I want to ensure that Lenovo has not throttled back my memory speed for some reason. I d

I know that DDR4 is double data rate and normally one would expect about 1600 in the CPU-Z DRAM frequency which yields the 3200 stated speed of the memory stick.
However, with Gear 2, I wonder if CPU-Z is reading the memory controller freq rather than the actual Dram freq.

HWiNFO64 states the memory frequency as 1596 and shows Gear 2.

So, can anyone help confirm that in fact my memory is running at full speed (ie about 1600 freq) even though Gear 2 and CPU-Z reporting the dram freq at 798?

Thanks
What speed does task manager/perf/memory show?