Gear for Strafe vs Multi

Jeffo

Distinguished
May 11, 2004
64
0
18,630
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

No no no....don't want to debate the relative merits of S v MS.

What is the best gear for each skill?

Thanks
jeffo
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, jeffo wrote:

>> No no no....don't want to debate the relative merits of S v MS.
>>
>> What is the best gear for each skill?

Ummmm... bows, probably. And some arrows.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

jeffo wrote:
> No no no....don't want to debate the relative merits of S v MS.
>
> What is the best gear for each skill?
>
> Thanks
> jeffo

MS is gimped beyond reason right now, imho. 1 pt + skills wonder... I
know some people still build around it, but I don't see any reason to.
Main problem with MS these days, only the middle 2 arrows of MS carry
effects for the most part[elemental damage still spreads out, i think].
Strafe at least carries effects on each and every arrow.
 

Watchman

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2002
74
0
18,630
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

Brian Brunner wrote:
>
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, jeffo wrote:
>
> >> No no no....don't want to debate the relative merits of S v MS.
> >>
> >> What is the best gear for each skill?
>
> Ummmm... bows, probably. And some arrows.

Or possibly a good crossbow. With a few bolts.

Watchman :)
--
'Anyone who isn't confused doesn't really know what's going on'
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

jeffo wrote:
> No no no....don't want to debate the relative merits of S v MS.
>
> What is the best gear for each skill?
>
> Thanks
> jeffo

Items with Crushing Blow (Goblin Toe)
Might Merc (I made the mistake of trading my might merc for HF)
Cold Charms
Nil on poison charms - useless with all the counter resets for this
girl.

Two good bows

Endlesshail for strafe

If you get a Shakaku put that on weapon switch and when you run into
cold immunes in hell pop a weapon switch and immolate with one mouse
button and strafe with the other during the casting delay

In hell I dumped the Endlesshail for some other better bow, and I
forget the name - maybe Goldstrike Arch. It did more damage.

If you get a Widowmaker that could be a possible one also. But keep the
Shakaku on weapon switch still.

Faster Attack Rate jewels

Smoke runeword armor for the resists and the Weaken charges.

Good Luck

Orion Ryder
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

jeffo wrote:
> No no no....don't want to debate the relative merits of S v MS.
>
> What is the best gear for each skill?
>
> Thanks
> jeffo

Hi Inever used multi b4 but for strafe I think fast bows are better
crossbows just go to slow for strafing. Knockback helps to cuc u cant
move when ur starfing so pushing them back helps lots. So for strafing
use fastest highest damage bow u can get.

Kaytie
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

"Franklin Bratcher" <achijah@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:_RN%d.897$z.472@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> jeffo wrote:
> > No no no....don't want to debate the relative merits of S v MS.
> >
> > What is the best gear for each skill?
> >
> > Thanks
> > jeffo
>
> MS is gimped beyond reason right now, imho. 1 pt + skills wonder... I
> know some people still build around it, but I don't see any reason to.
> Main problem with MS these days, only the middle 2 arrows of MS carry
> effects for the most part[elemental damage still spreads out, i think].
> Strafe at least carries effects on each and every arrow.

Hrm, I hadn't heard that before.


short - must check this out
 

Jeffo

Distinguished
May 11, 2004
64
0
18,630
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 09:06:10 -0500, "short" <shorts@zoominternet.net>
wrote:

>
>"Franklin Bratcher" <achijah@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>news:_RN%d.897$z.472@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>> jeffo wrote:
>> > No no no....don't want to debate the relative merits of S v MS.
>> >
>> > What is the best gear for each skill?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > jeffo
>>
>> MS is gimped beyond reason right now, imho. 1 pt + skills wonder... I
>> know some people still build around it, but I don't see any reason to.
>> Main problem with MS these days, only the middle 2 arrows of MS carry
>> effects for the most part[elemental damage still spreads out, i think].
>> Strafe at least carries effects on each and every arrow.
>
>Hrm, I hadn't heard that before.
>
>
>short - must check this out

Yah...that's definitely an argument for strafe.....

Thanks
jeffo
>
 

Jeffo

Distinguished
May 11, 2004
64
0
18,630
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

On 22 Mar 2005 13:32:09 -0800, "Orion Ryder" <orionryder@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>
>jeffo wrote:
>> No no no....don't want to debate the relative merits of S v MS.
>>
>> What is the best gear for each skill?
>>
>> Thanks
>> jeffo
>
>Items with Crushing Blow (Goblin Toe)
>Might Merc (I made the mistake of trading my might merc for HF)
>Cold Charms
>Nil on poison charms - useless with all the counter resets for this
>girl.
>
>Two good bows
>
>Endlesshail for strafe
>
>If you get a Shakaku put that on weapon switch and when you run into
>cold immunes in hell pop a weapon switch and immolate with one mouse
>button and strafe with the other during the casting delay
>
>In hell I dumped the Endlesshail for some other better bow, and I
>forget the name - maybe Goldstrike Arch. It did more damage.
>
>If you get a Widowmaker that could be a possible one also. But keep the
>Shakaku on weapon switch still.
>
>Faster Attack Rate jewels
>
>Smoke runeword armor for the resists and the Weaken charges.

Thanks! That's a good list. Of course I don't have any of those
items. I have a near perfect Buriza, but that's too slow for strafe.
And if MS is gimped like Franklin Bratcher says....

Thanks
jeffo
 

Jeffo

Distinguished
May 11, 2004
64
0
18,630
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 02:00:08 -0800, LineNoise <linenoise@pobox.com>
wrote:


>>True? I have a couple of 100/5 poison SCs on my M'av strafeazon. Are they
>>useless there?
>
>Not *completely* useless, but less useful for Strafe than for MS. Poison
>charms are more a playstyle question than a gear and skills question.
>
>Although, playstyle will definately affect your skills choice, as well.
>
>Personally, I can't stand Strafe. MS for teh win. But that's a long
>story. Basically, I can't stand the immobility of Strafe. I play a lot of
>hit-and-run tactics, and I also play *very* aggressively. So I'm often
>dealing with more mobs on the screen than I can conveniently Strafe. So
>I'm locked immobile for what feels like forever, waiting for that Strafe
>animation to finish.
>
>With a higher-than-average MS, and good Pierce (and good "herding"
>tactics), I can turn a *lot* of monsters green all at once. Way more than
>conveniently be handled by strafe. My Windyzon had upwards of 1500 in
>poison charms, IIRC. That means that they're losing life at a fair clip
>right from the start, and throughout the fight.

What would constitute a higher than average MS and good Pierce? And
if I lack the poison charms might I still go this way?

I have a near perfect Buriza, but it's still pretty slow for MS.

Assuming I lack much for gear, I'm thinking strafe would be best.
Yes?

Thanks
jeffo
 

Jeffo

Distinguished
May 11, 2004
64
0
18,630
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

On 22 Mar 2005 17:35:04 -0800, "Kaytie" <kaytiekat@aol.com> wrote:

>
>jeffo wrote:
>> No no no....don't want to debate the relative merits of S v MS.
>>
>> What is the best gear for each skill?
>>
>> Thanks
>> jeffo
>
>Hi Inever used multi b4 but for strafe I think fast bows are better
>crossbows just go to slow for strafing. Knockback helps to cuc u cant
>move when ur starfing so pushing them back helps lots. So for strafing
>use fastest highest damage bow u can get.

It makes sense that speed is essential for Strafe. I will have to get
used to the immobility of the skill though. Knockback might be pretty
useful if I can't scare up a good fast bow.

Thanks
jeffo
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

"jeffo" <nospam@forme.com> wrote in message
news:kph341t16aqf5f5htvhm21i7hgcd457pco@4ax.com...
> On 22 Mar 2005 17:35:04 -0800, "Kaytie" <kaytiekat@aol.com> wrote:
>
> >
> >jeffo wrote:
> >> No no no....don't want to debate the relative merits of S v MS.
> >>
> >> What is the best gear for each skill?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> jeffo
> >
> >Hi Inever used multi b4 but for strafe I think fast bows are better
> >crossbows just go to slow for strafing. Knockback helps to cuc u cant
> >move when ur starfing so pushing them back helps lots. So for strafing
> >use fastest highest damage bow u can get.
>
> It makes sense that speed is essential for Strafe. I will have to get
> used to the immobility of the skill though. Knockback might be pretty
> useful if I can't scare up a good fast bow.
>

If you can't get knockback either, a few Cold damage SC's work pretty well
too to slow them down.


short
 

Jeffo

Distinguished
May 11, 2004
64
0
18,630
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:25:51 +1200, "~misfit~"
<misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote:

>jeffo wrote:
>> On 22 Mar 2005 13:32:09 -0800, "Orion Ryder" <orionryder@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> jeffo wrote:
>>>> No no no....don't want to debate the relative merits of S v MS.
>>>>
>>>> What is the best gear for each skill?
>>>>
>>>> Thanks
>>>> jeffo
>>>
>>> Items with Crushing Blow (Goblin Toe)
>>> Might Merc (I made the mistake of trading my might merc for HF)
>>> Cold Charms
>>> Nil on poison charms - useless with all the counter resets for this
>>> girl.
>>>
>>> Two good bows
>>>
>>> Endlesshail for strafe
>>>
>>> If you get a Shakaku put that on weapon switch and when you run into
>>> cold immunes in hell pop a weapon switch and immolate with one mouse
>>> button and strafe with the other during the casting delay
>>>
>>> In hell I dumped the Endlesshail for some other better bow, and I
>>> forget the name - maybe Goldstrike Arch. It did more damage.
>>>
>>> If you get a Widowmaker that could be a possible one also. But keep
>>> the Shakaku on weapon switch still.
>>>
>>> Faster Attack Rate jewels
>>>
>>> Smoke runeword armor for the resists and the Weaken charges.
>>
>> Thanks! That's a good list. Of course I don't have any of those
>> items. I have a near perfect Buriza, but that's too slow for strafe.
>> And if MS is gimped like Franklin Bratcher says....
>
>The burrito can be Ok for strafe (IMO) if you socket it with a Shael and
>maybe put IAS jewels in your hat and coat. I haven't looked up the
>break-points for it and it's been a while, hang on......
>
><goes to>: http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/weaponspeed.php?lang=english
>
>Scratch the IAS jewels in hat/coat. The breakpoints for the burrito and
>strafe are as follows:
>
>Burrito, (80% IAS as part of weapon): 4 frames per attack, 6.2 attacks per
>second.
>
>Burrito, socketed and Shaeled (or 15% IAS, the BP is 105% IAS) 3.5 fpa, 7.1
>per second.
>
>Burrito, with the impossible-to-reach total 215% IAS: 3fpa, 8.3 per second.
>
>So it would seem that, if you are going to use a burrito for strafe you need
>15% IAS, either on-weapon or elsewhere. Lavagouts and Laying of Hands are
>the first two (gloves) that spring to mind. Both have 20% IAS, leaving you
>free to put a Nef maybe in the burrito for knockback.
>
>Some belts (Goldwrap, Nosferatu's, both 10%) and armour (Twitchthroe, 20%.
>(I've often wondered about upgrading this armour, it has some quite useful
>mods on it.) Crowcaw, 15%) and hats (Stealskull, 10%) also have IAS. And
>that's just uniques, I'm sure some set items also have IAS but don't know
>them off-hand.
>
>Personally I like Lavagouts for the IAS, fire damage and free enchant (even
>though it's only lvl 10). It's always handy to have as much varied elemental
>damage in your attack. If you meet a PI/CI at least with Lavagouts you're
>still doing a bit of fire damage. (While knocking back if you have a Nef in
>it) Laying of Hands has 350% (!!!) damage to demons.
>
>I have taken a zon all the way to Matriarch with a burrito and strafe, with
>guided as my left-click attack and lots of leech.
>
>Good luck.


Thanks. That certainly lays it out nicely. I'm going Strafe in any
case. If nothing more interesting than the Buriza appears then I'm
sure I'll go with it.

Thanks
jeffo
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote in message
news:424219d3@news01.wxnz.net...
> jeffo wrote:
> > On 22 Mar 2005 13:32:09 -0800, "Orion Ryder" <orionryder@hotmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >>
> >> jeffo wrote:
> >>> No no no....don't want to debate the relative merits of S v MS.
> >>>
> >>> What is the best gear for each skill?
> >>>
> >>> Thanks
> >>> jeffo
> >>
> >> Items with Crushing Blow (Goblin Toe)
> >> Might Merc (I made the mistake of trading my might merc for HF)
> >> Cold Charms
> >> Nil on poison charms - useless with all the counter resets for this
> >> girl.
> >>
> >> Two good bows
> >>
> >> Endlesshail for strafe
> >>
> >> If you get a Shakaku put that on weapon switch and when you run into
> >> cold immunes in hell pop a weapon switch and immolate with one mouse
> >> button and strafe with the other during the casting delay
> >>
> >> In hell I dumped the Endlesshail for some other better bow, and I
> >> forget the name - maybe Goldstrike Arch. It did more damage.
> >>
> >> If you get a Widowmaker that could be a possible one also. But keep
> >> the Shakaku on weapon switch still.
> >>
> >> Faster Attack Rate jewels
> >>
> >> Smoke runeword armor for the resists and the Weaken charges.
> >
> > Thanks! That's a good list. Of course I don't have any of those
> > items. I have a near perfect Buriza, but that's too slow for strafe.
> > And if MS is gimped like Franklin Bratcher says....
>
> The burrito can be Ok for strafe (IMO) if you socket it with a Shael and
> maybe put IAS jewels in your hat and coat. I haven't looked up the
> break-points for it and it's been a while, hang on......
>
> <goes to>:
http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/weaponspeed.php?lang=english
>
> Scratch the IAS jewels in hat/coat. The breakpoints for the burrito and
> strafe are as follows:
>
> Burrito, (80% IAS as part of weapon): 4 frames per attack, 6.2 attacks per
> second.
>
> Burrito, socketed and Shaeled (or 15% IAS, the BP is 105% IAS) 3.5 fpa,
7.1
> per second.
>
> Burrito, with the impossible-to-reach total 215% IAS: 3fpa, 8.3 per
second.
>
> So it would seem that, if you are going to use a burrito for strafe you
need
> 15% IAS, either on-weapon or elsewhere. Lavagouts and Laying of Hands are
> the first two (gloves) that spring to mind. Both have 20% IAS, leaving you
> free to put a Nef maybe in the burrito for knockback.
>
> Some belts (Goldwrap, Nosferatu's, both 10%) and armour (Twitchthroe, 20%.
> (I've often wondered about upgrading this armour, it has some quite useful
> mods on it.) Crowcaw, 15%) and hats (Stealskull, 10%) also have IAS. And
> that's just uniques, I'm sure some set items also have IAS but don't know
> them off-hand.
>
I've always wanted to upgrade this armor also, but I always back out at the
last minute. If I ever get a Bowazon with respectable resistances and still
use a Twitch, I might.
It's good for a Bow/Javazon Hybrid, with the +Block as well.

> Personally I like Lavagouts for the IAS, fire damage and free enchant
(even
> though it's only lvl 10). It's always handy to have as much varied
elemental
> damage in your attack. If you meet a PI/CI at least with Lavagouts you're
> still doing a bit of fire damage. (While knocking back if you have a Nef
in
> it) Laying of Hands has 350% (!!!) damage to demons.
>
LoH would be my choice, they have respectable Fire Resists as well :)



short
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

short wrote:

>
> Hrm, I hadn't heard that before.
>
>
> short - must check this out
>
>

go to Amazon Basin forums, go to the bowazon forum... and you will see
more than a few posts mentioning the current limitations of MS ;O)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

jeffo wrote:

> Thanks. That certainly lays it out nicely. I'm going Strafe in any
> case. If nothing more interesting than the Buriza appears then I'm
> sure I'll go with it.
>
> Thanks
> jeffo

Another strafe option, that I am enjoying in hell, is an upgrading
Witchwild String, doesnt seem like much, but drop a couple of shael's in
it, and have some IAS elsewhere, getting Laying of Hands is a nice
option for gloves, tals mask w/fervor jewel. thats what I am using along
with lionheart loricated mail, razortail, ravenfrost, dwarfstar and
sandstorm trek boots[still hoping to find war travs]. I am able to solo
in hell comfortably, and partying is just gravy.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote in message
news:42434d1a$1@news01.wxnz.net...
> short wrote:
> > "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote in message
> > news:424219d3@news01.wxnz.net...
>
> <snip>
>
> >> Some belts (Goldwrap, Nosferatu's, both 10%) and armour
> >> (Twitchthroe, 20%. (I've often wondered about upgrading this armour,
> >> it has some quite useful mods on it.) Crowcaw, 15%) and hats
> >> (Stealskull, 10%) also have IAS. And that's just uniques, I'm sure
> >> some set items also have IAS but don't know them off-hand.
> >>
> > I've always wanted to upgrade this armor also, but I always back out
> > at the last minute. If I ever get a Bowazon with respectable
> > resistances and still use a Twitch, I might.
> > It's good for a Bow/Javazon Hybrid, with the +Block as well.
>
> And FHR.
>
> If I ever find myself with a plethora of runes I'm gonna upgrade a twitch
to
> elite, a wire fleece. Just need a spare Tal, Shael and Pdiamond to
trellised
> armour (no problem) then a Ko, Lem and another Pdiamond. There's the
> problem. I seem to use Ko's as fast as I can find/cube them. They're used
in
> Obedience and both Ko and Lem are used in Lawbringer (I wish I could make
> that in flail-class weapons).
>
> A twitch upgraded to a wire fleece and then socketed with whatever could
be
> good armour. Damn, gonna have to look on the rune mule later. Shame it's
> just +25 def and not an %ED figure, that would scale much more nicely.
>
I'd like to upgrade one and socket it with an Um, but I'm short the Um. Of
course, I always seem to be one rune short for whatever runeword I want to
make :(. Perhaps I should get my CB sorc up to snuff and run the Countess
continually for awhile. I just hate having to rely on the merc to kill her
(which is what I have to do with my current FO/FB sorc).

> >> Personally I like Lavagouts for the IAS, fire damage and free
> >> enchant (even though it's only lvl 10). It's always handy to have as
> >> much varied elemental damage in your attack. If you meet a PI/CI at
> >> least with Lavagouts you're still doing a bit of fire damage. (While
> >> knocking back if you have a Nef in it) Laying of Hands has 350%
> >> (!!!) damage to demons.
> >>
> > LoH would be my choice, they have respectable Fire Resists as well :)
>
> Yeah, I didn't mention resists. LoH have 50% FR as opposed to only 24% on
> Lavagouts.
>
> I like Lavagouts. I have a pally swinging a Cresent Moon phase blade ATM
and
> it looks good when the enchant kicks in (and then stays, it refreshes
itself
> faster than it runs out when you're playing). The handle and cross piece
of
> the sword go crimson, very cool!
>

You are sooooooooo addicted to Lavagouts! Maybe I'll try them someday to
see what the big deal is :)


short