Question Gear S3 Frontier Battery Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANTFKBA

Commendable
May 30, 2020
The battery on my gear s3 started to drain really fast, lifetime is around 12hrs now and my normal battery life is around 3days. I havent updated it or the phone app, havent changed any settings it just kinda happend. I have tried most things people say to do in similar threads to no effect. Those thing include hard reset, wifi off, location off, telemetry off. in the battery manager it shows that my watch face is consuming tonnes of battery but that cant be correct because i use a dark simple face and havent changed it in months.

Mar 29, 2020
I also have an S3 Frontier watch, today it died on me in the afternoon. Didn't have any apps running. Wonder if there's an update causing the battery drain.
On a typical weekday with the heart rate monitor always on for most of the day, I'll have about 50% battery left when I go to bed.
It's about 2.5 years old, so some loss of battery capacity is normal.

This is my first smartwatch, is it even possible to replace the battery?

Jul 29, 2020
Well, on my side the same. From one day to another, battery life dropped from 3+ days to <10 days. It was with the upgrade to 4.0.0.7. Hence, for sure, I expected this to be a bug, which came with the upgrade. Optimizing everything possible (without losing main functionality of a smart watch), I was able to reach 12-14h without special activity.

I tried any "hotfixes", I found in google. resetting watch, reinstalling phone apps, clearing caches, avoiding restore from backup, even avoiding logging in to Samsung. After 6 weeks, I decided to bring in a new orig battery. This helped to get to 18-20h. So, old battery lost a bit of its capacity, but not too much.

In the meantime, I flashed back to 4.0.0.2, which earlier ran for days with the old battery, without the situation getting better. Even going back to 2.3.2.4 (which was known as long-runner firmware), I just reach about 20h max. Be sure: even after flashing, I cleared caches, re-installed phone apps etc. to be sure, I am starting with the flashed firmware from scratch.

Partially, I am thinking about a hardware issue, that occasionally started at the same time when the upgrade came. But my watch never fell down or anything like that. Possibly a bug in the upgrade caused a part of the hardware to die?

Meanwhile, seeing so much people in the internet having the same issue with the frontier, I am kind of thinking about a predetermined breaking point or an internal "expiration date", that shall allow Samsung selling newer models.

But to be honest: with all the above and knowing what happened to so much Samsung watch users, I do not guess, the next watch will be a Samsung.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS