Question Geezer needs help with getting a new graphics card

RockyCoast

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2012
Hello helpful folks; I sure do appreciate your being out there. I'm an 80-year-old; had computers from the old CP/M days (Kaypro 26-pound "portable".) Today's problem: I just gritted my teeth and bought a new ASRock Radeon RX 6700 XT video card (because I was advised that my old AMD Radeon R9 380 was dying.) The new one arrived today and it looks like it's a half-inch too long to fit in my ASRock Z97 Extreme6 motherboard. Before I send it back: how do I check to see if it really doesn't fit? (You'd think ASRock would make video cards that fit their own motherboards.) How do I find out if the next one I get will fit?

And, while I'm at it, can anyone recommend a good gaming video card for less than (OUCH!) $400. (When you're my age, everything seems way more expensive than it ought to. I remember when gas was 19 cents a gallon, when Motel 6 cost $6/night.) Thanks again and again for being there.

Reactions: Rokinamerica

RockyCoast

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2012
At the inside end of the card there is a row of sockets for other things to plug into the motherboard; those sockets protrude up enough that I think it would prevent me pushing the video card in all the way. Don't want to force anything.

RockyCoast

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2012
Also of note, your new video card will pull about 30 more watts than your old one. Hopefully your power supply is up to the task.
Well, I got it in; I'm embarrassed to admit, I didn't see the cover on the pins (or whatever they're called) that prevented me from inserting. And I thank you for mentioning the power. I have a 750W power supply so that wasn't a problem, though I had a heck of a time inserting a second cable. Anyway, the bad news:
The computer boots up but the graphics default to the built-in display adaptor and monitor. Zat mean the computer isn't seeing the new card?

Rokinamerica

Estimable
Nov 30, 2021
Could mean you need to pick which GPU to use, I do apologize because I have not used AMD, also, are you plugging the monitor in to the GPU of M/B?

And a big old shout out to you mentioning KayPro.

RockyCoast

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2012
It doesn't see the new GPU. In device manager all I see is "Microsoft Basic Display Adaptor". Did I not push the new card in enough? It didn't come with a drivers disk of any kind... WAIT!
After restarting a couple times, it's suddenly there! This is why I'll always be a perpetual beginner, though willing to try stuff. Now to investigate everything. THANKS again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richj444

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
It doesn't see the new GPU. In device manager all I see is "Microsoft Basic Display Adaptor". Did I not push the new card in enough? It didn't come with a drivers disk of any kind... WAIT!
After restarting a couple times, it's suddenly there! This is why I'll always be a perpetual beginner, though willing to try stuff. Now to investigate everything. THANKS again.
Now make sure you download and install the latest driver for your video card.