GeForce 1060 into my TC-705

Jul 26, 2018
Hello so i wanna ask if i can upgrade my Acer TC-705 by switching gpu NVIDIA GeForce 1060. Surely i will upgrade my supply to atleast 400w, but im worried about airflow? I dont wanna burn it. Will it be ok? And also can gpu fit in the case(dimensions)?
Thanks a lot

Solution
If length is the issue, one of the single fan models should fit. If height is the issue you'll need a low profile card. If you can't find a low profile 1060 then maybe a 1050 Ti will do.

I don't think overheating will be an issue but I do think it's possible any gaming card you use will run hotter than in a more air flow friendly case. This is not bad, but the downside is this might mean more fan noise. I'm sure the fan will keep the card in safe temps, it'll just have to run faster and therefore make more noise.

Check things like the power/reset button connector. If the motherboard is non standard the first clue will be unusual connectors, such as for the power button.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Looks like you'd be pretty limited on airflow, just from looking at the outside.

I cant find any teardowns or decent internal pictures though, so can't say for sure that it would fit..... I would expect one of the single fan designs to fit without much hassle, but those typically run warm to begin with. Not a great idea in a limited airflow case.

You might want to consider a new case with better airflow & transplant the motherboard etc into it.

Jul 26, 2018
New case isnt problem but i heared that these motherboards in premaid PCs are switched or something ( that they are made for case) , so i was thinking if the kotherboard can fit other case.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Really depends. Some are proprietary in form factor, layout, or both.

From the limited info I can find though, it appears to be a standard mATX form factor:
s-l300.jpg

If length is the issue, one of the single fan models should fit. If height is the issue you'll need a low profile card. If you can't find a low profile 1060 then maybe a 1050 Ti will do.

I don't think overheating will be an issue but I do think it's possible any gaming card you use will run hotter than in a more air flow friendly case. This is not bad, but the downside is this might mean more fan noise. I'm sure the fan will keep the card in safe temps, it'll just have to run faster and therefore make more noise.

Check things like the power/reset button connector. If the motherboard is non standard the first clue will be unusual connectors, such as for the power button.

Solution

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
From what I can find, the Acer case has a single rear exhaust. So there's no airflow to the GPU at all. Some of those mITX variants of cards barely keep them cool when in well ventilated cases. Not saying it can't be done, it's just likely far from ideal.

Not only will there be more fan noise; with a card that can't keep cool, it won't boost it's clock speeds (and may even throttle). Add to the fact you'll have a single fan that will probably run 100% speed, 100% of the time (or close to it).... that fan isn't going to last too long.