Question Geforce 1070 no output. Wired incorrectly?

Oct 26, 2020
Been running a 1070 for a couple of years in my Dell Aurora desktop. I7 8700, 16 gigs of ram, 1 tb HDD, 460W power supply. Upgraded to a 2TB SSD, had to remove the video card to do that. Reinstall and I get a black screen. Check all of the connections and lo-and-behold I had connected the power cord wrong; it is a 6 + 2 connector and I had forgot to add the +2. I'm not sure which 6 of the 8 holes I slotted it into. Reconnected correctly but still black screen. Tried all display outputs, tried moving PCIE slots, nothing.

I ended up using the onboard UHD graphics, running over the same DP cable to my monitor, to clone the HDD and set up my SSD. Flash to latest BIOS. Checked the BIOS, no settings to turn on or affect PCIE. The 1070 has fans running, but the system does not recognize it at all, shows nothing in the slot under device manager, cannot install drivers.

I find an old gtx 670 and plug it in to the PCIE slot. The system recognizes it, I install new drivers, it works just fine using HDMI. I disable the onboard UHD graphics adapter, but did not uninstall it. Tried the 1070 again, same black screen although the fans run. Back to the 670, works fine.

So...PCIE slot seems to be working. DP cable and monitor working. Flashed to latest BIOS. Online wattage calculators say that I should have enough power. Did I screw the 1070 up by plugging in the power cable incorrectly?

Oct 26, 2020
Thank you for your reply. PSU is made by Dell, confirm 460W but no other info. Inside a Dell Alienware Aurora R7. 2.5 years old, good condition with occasional dusting of interior. No over clocking, no mining, lots of gaming.