GeForce 2 GTS vs ATI Radeon in 32 bit gaming

G

Still not sure for my new gaming machine if i should go with Hercules 3d Prophet 2-->GeForce 2 GTS (i can get for around 300....or the Fastest Radeon.,...is that 64 DDR...or the all in wonder?

Anyway, my main games are online RPG's played in 32 bit....Anarchy-online, Shadowbane....

I do some FPS's ,..rogue spear...and ur CnC like games every so often though

Which card would be best IYMHO.

Thanks

=Quantum
AO Admin
The Dr.Twister Network
http://ao.drtwister.com

G

If you're looking for comparable scores to the GeForce GTS, go with the ATI Radeon LE 32MB DDR... its 80 some dollars, not very expensive, and pretty much the same scores as the 64MB version.. depends if you want VIVO or not..

-AMD's are not for the faint of heart... Intels? those are for newbies :eek:)-

G

For the ultimate performance the GF2 Ultra is unmatched (I wouldn't recommend it though). The radeon 32meg DDR is a steal and performs the same or better than a GTS. Be carefull, there's a VE version that has DDR memory, but it is slower than the SDR version so make sure you get the good one. The difference is that the VE has 64-bit DDR vs. 128-bit for the normal version.

G

Err maybe I should just go with a GEforce2 ultra......

I do not want TV in and out...but I would think Radeon 64 DDR..would be better then the LE version...

=Quantum
AO Admin
The Dr.Twister Network

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
hmmm. Go with the the Radeon 64mb.

Then with the money you could of wasted on the geforce ultra you can get 256mb SDRAM

:cool: First person to get a topic banned. ABIT BP6 Lives FOREVER!!! :cool:

G

lol...yes i know (not a computer idiot....i may not be the amazing hardware guys you are...i'm programmer.....) anyway, i was just stating that...since I'm going with DDR memory..which really is still on pricey side.

=Quantum
AO Admin
The Dr.Twister Network

G

Exactly stay away from the LE version. The regular 32 meg DDR version is the one you want. There's nothing wrong with the 64meg DDR but make sure if you get it you get a retail one. The clock speed is 166mhz in the oem 64meg version vs. 183mhz in the retail. I think the 64meg version is too expensive for the performance you get, same with the GF2 ultra.

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
There´s no comparison in performance between any Radeon and a
Geforce 2 Ultra!
Simply put, they´re not in the GeForce´s league!

Better burn in Hell with some company than freeze in Heaven all alone

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
you know what:

Get the RADEON 32mb DDR

Get can get 256mb SDRAM + 16x DVD drive to watch movies on.

Or

Get 1 stinky overpriced Geforce2 Ultra w/ no on-board dvd decoder. Also stick with less sdram + no 16x dvd.

:cool: First person to get a topic banned. ABIT BP6 Lives FOREVER!!! :cool:

tfbww

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2001
Who said he wants or needs a DVD player? I wouldn't presume that since all he has said was to play games. If he speaks up on this, then that's different.

OK, here's the deal Quantum: if you want PURE performance and you have the appropriate budget, go with the Ultra. There is NOTHING in its league yet. End of story. If you are looking for price:performance, which you kind of hinted at in your last post, then a Radeon is certainly something to consider. The best performer is almost never the price:performance winner so you need to tell us what your budget is and all of your criteria are.

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
You know what?

I have GeForce 2 GTS w/ 64 Mb! (Perfect in DVD playing,as a matter of fact!)
256 Mb PC133 memory!
And 8x DVD ! (Who and why the hell needs a 16x DVD ?)

G

Actually, I may go with the Game Theatre....Basically I use computer for programming and gaming mainly...The gaming being my reason for building a powerhouse comp. Now I have around 2000$ to spend, and I can get monitor for around 200-250$....(My dad has sony 20 inch trinitron...so i just have to get him a sucky 19in to replace it, he does no graphical intense applications.)

Thats my budget basically.

I also do not want a DvD player, or even a CD burner since they are on my network and I can use them from my dad or brothers computer.

=Quantum
AO Admin
The Dr.Twister Network

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
It seems that 20" Sony monitor will be the cherry on top
of you Powerhouse Comp!

GO FOR IT!

G

The ultra is overpriced. You're paying a lot for that extra bit of performance. I've never stated that the ultra isn't clearly the fastest card available.