GeForce 2 MX interfering with sound card?

G

Has anyone seen the following problem before? It's driving me nuts:

I have just replaced my SiS 6326 video card with a new GeForce 2 MX 64 (from Cardex). Since then I get noise/crackle on my audio output. My audio card is a Crystal CS 4281. There was absolutely no 'noise' when using the SiS and the problem definitely started once I had installed the GeForce 2.

The problem occurs in certain circumstances only; when I'm playing SimCity 3K there is no crackle during the opening 'splash' animation, but it affects the background music prior to starting the game and thereafter; when I'm playing Black & White it affects the voices of the consciences (and others) but not the background sounds; the basic background sounds in Windows aren't affected.

My base system is a K6-III+500 in a TMC TI5VGF. The CS 4281 is the only PCI card installed and the system has no ISA slots at all. I have a modem and scanner on USB.

I've tried re-installing everything (in different orders) without success so far. Does anyone know what might be occurring?

Regards,
NJD.

meecal

Distinguished
May 21, 2001
NJD,

I just put together a system today w/ a MSI K7 Master motherboard w/ onboard AC'97 audio and a MSI nVIDIA GeForce 2 MX video card. I'm experiencing the same problems with the sound. If I play a simple .wav file in media player it crackles when opening. I thought the problem might be the onboard audio but then I found out the video card and the audio were sharing the same interrupt. Couldn't figure out how to change the interrupt settings, though (using Windows 2000). If you found a solution let me know.....

G

This is most likely caused by your sound card and Geforce 2 mx sharing the same IRQ. Click Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and choose System Information. Click the plus sign next to Hardware Resources, then click on IRQs. The only thing that should be sharing the same IRQ as the GF2MX is an IRQ holder for PCI steering. If your sound card is sharing the same IRQ, you must change its IRQ assignment in your system. You can switch the PCI slot that your sound card is in which usually fixes the problem. If you cannot change the sound card's IRQ assignment, you should contact the sound card manufacturer to find out how to do so.

You can also refer to the following suggestion from the GeForce FAQ web site to see if this works as well: http://www.geforcefaq.com/#hw:gef:troub:sound.

never fear, the bdtman is here!

priit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I write this one more time: with 95% of probability your SS7 mobo can't handle AGP traffic caused by GF2. It's very common problem with SS7 mobos and newer Nvidia graphic cards. Things you can do is either swap mobo/video card (probably you need sth. other than Nvidia's) or try to disable AGP/set it to 1X speed.