GeForce 2 Pro/400 vs. GeForce 2 MX

G

is the GeForce 2 Pro/400 really that much better than the GeForce 2 MX? i am looking to purchase a Gainward CARDEXPERT GeForce 2 Pro/400 however i have heard that the cost is around $300 something. is Gainward CARDEXPERT GeForce 2 Pro/400 worth $300? does it support high end 3D graphics? 2D graphics? if anyone can give me any information about this i'd greatly appreciate it. thanks!!

G

i forgot to mention. the GeForce 2 Pro/400 that costs around $300 has 64megs of DDR. should it then be worth $300? and support high end graphics for 2D and 3D? thanks!!

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
What do you exactly want or need in a video card? All around performance? Sheer speed in games and 3d apllications? Superior 2d graphics? Great Video capability? Some people have a HDTV, 5.1 sound system with a dedicated DVD drive on a 60' HDTV and could care less about DVD on a computer. While someone else does alot of programming, web pubishing etc where looking at a monitor 8-14 hours a day only the best 2d card can keep them from having a migraine, lost production etc. Once you know what you need or want then the rest comes easier. It could be business presentation where video is important. Maybe just plain fun having the best game machine on the planet is the thing. Myself sometimes I spend 12-16 hours in a day so having a card that has excellent 2d is paramount. I also will play games so a good game card is good too. Then I do 3d work in TrueSpace5 so good 3d performance in openGL and Directx is important. I also watch my DVD's and watch TV on my computer. So for me a good compromise was in order and I choosed the Radeon. Cost performance and features I found to be very enticing, someone else may not. Which GeForce 2 Pro are you looking at? What features do you want and need?

G

hi noko. i am looking for a card that has good 2D and 3D quality. dvd and tv r not very important. i am a computer graphics artist that works with web design, digital design, 3d character design. and much like urself i spend a good amount of time in front of the computer. about 12-16hours/day. i am currently looking at the Gainward CARDEXPERT GeForce 2 Pro/400 64DDR. would this be a good card for me? or r there other recommendations for me? thanks!!

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Well I tried to visit Gainsworth site and it took repeated attempts to get through, not good. I have a cable modem and most sites pop up. Checked for reviews for Gainsworth GTS pro and havn't found to many. You can do a search also. Well speaking of 2d quality I did find something applicable at ShakeyExtreme. Good read:
<A HREF="http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/articles/super_he_video_shootout_10-00/8.shtml" target="_new">http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/articles/super_he_video_shootout_10-00/8.shtml</A>
Looks like the Gladiac is the one for resolutions 1280x1024 and above if 2d is paramount and high refresh rates. Elsa makes a number of professional boards so they know how to design a outstanding 2d board with the Nvidia chipset. If you are using lower resolutions than any GeForce II pro is probably good enough. Performance wise any Nvidia GeForce II pro will do extremely well . Just remember the service you get if you have problems from a Nvidia chipset video board will vary. I can't tell who is good or bad here, you might want to send a E-mail to each one and check them out and see how they respond. Elsa and Hercules seems to be the best. I would recommend the Elsa overall (check out the whole review at Sharky). Try out Elsa site <A HREF="http://www.elsa.com/international/us/products.htm" target="_new">http://www.elsa.com/international/us/products.htm</A>, you have sites world wide, 3 year warranty. Except one clevit there is no Pro version mention. Hercules makes a pro version so check them out too. In any case good luck and enjoy. Hopefully someone with a GTS 2 pro will respond and give you a better answer. Alright you GTS pro guys, give him a hand.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 02/12/01 01:53 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Nethawk

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have the Guillemot/Hercules Prophet II GTS Pro (64mb), which I run at 1280x1024, 85hz refresh rate on an iiYama 22" Trueflat monitor. Performance of this display card is outstanding - I have overclocked just a bit and gotten excellent results on benchmark tests. At this resolution, I don't think you are limited to the Ultra cards. I'm not sure what noko's justification was for his indication that this is not the case.

I play an online WWII combat flightsim, where framerate is of the utmost importance. I average about 85fps while a friend with Ultra card, 1.2ghz T'bird averages just over 100. Incidentally, my processor/mobo combo is AMD Duron 800/Abit KT7A-Raid.

I'm SO glad I didn't buy the ultra!

Good luck with your choice.