GeForce 2 Ultra - is it dead?

G

I've spent some time now researching Graphics cards as I'm putting a new box together. I've decided that the GE2 Ultra looks like the one I want, but I'm having an unbelievably hard time tracking one down. I've spotted a couple of online sites with stock left so I'm gonna try them and see if they deliver to Australia, but I'm wondering why I'm seeing this.

Is the card long gone now? Is it that old that no-one bothers to stock it anymore? Or does it mean that it's soooo good that everybody buys them and no stores have any left?

I'd be very interested in any opinion on this.

"I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it" - Voltaire.

chaotictech

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Officialy it was replaced by the slightly slower geforce2 TI. Which is kind of a mix between the pro and the ultra specs, \With it having 400mhz ddr sdram(as with the pro) and a gpu clock of 250(as with the ultra).
For the price (about 185 for the pny version at newegg.com)you can pick up a Geforce TI200. It will run directx8 games faster than the ultra. You could also overclock it to the Geforce 3 specs and get some sheap performace.

If you ever stop learning, YOU'ER DEAD!!

G

Thanks. I think you're right. The Ti200 seems more readily available and it does give me the access to the new instructions. The memory bandwidth of the Ti200 is less than the Ultra though and since memory b/w seems to be the gaming bottleneck at the moment I was trying to optimize that. I've just re-read Tom's review of them here and the results are fairly self-evident. The Ti looks like the go.

So much to learn - so little time

reapur

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2001
Damn! My GF2 Ultra isn't even a month old.
I like it tho, it's plenty fast.
Will I need another card to best play Unreal 2?

chaotictech

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Not sure but my gts is overclocked past the ultra specs and I have trouble in max payne above 600x600, And my gts has 64mb ddr.

chaotictech

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Not sure but my gts is overclocked past the ultra specs and I have trouble in max payne above 800x600, And my gts has 64mb ddr.

G

Having decided on the Ti200 and winding it up a bit, I'm now leaning towards a Radeon 8500. They cost the same money as the Ti200 (at least they do here in Oz) and appear to have better specs. The only problem seems to be driver quality which looks suspect at the moment, but I'm figuring that'll get sorted out in the next few weeks.

So many decisions, so little time