geforce 2

G

I recently purchased a gainward geforce 2 64 mB card, but I have not seen the performance that Tom's reviews have seen. Specifically, Quake 3 timedemo demo001 runs at about 70 fps, even at the lowest rez (400 or whatever). The frame rate does not drop off as resolution/comlexity increases. It doesn't seem like the CPU should not max out at 70 fps, so I suspect that there is something else holding it back.
Looking at tom's tests, I expect to get about 120 fps at setting of "normal".

Here's the setup:

Iwill vd133 motherboard with VIA 133 (not 133A) chipset. It supports AGP 2x but not 4x.
PIII 533
64 mB system ram w/150 mB virtual swap file
sony multiscan 15sx monitor set to 1024x768x16

I tried all of the following:
updated the motherboard bios
enabled agp 2x
agp aperture 32

updated the video card drivers and tried the older one that Tom used.

flashed the video rom to 2.15.01.10.00

any help appreciated...

George

TBone

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The video card is out-performing your computer. The computer having 64MB of RAM is not enough, and the swap file would mean that your hard drive would have to run during the benchmark, slowing the process down, consideribly.
TBone

G

It all of the above. It's your AGP 2x. You are not taking the full advantage of the video card. 70 fps is right with mb that only support AGP 2x. If you get mother that support AGP 4x, that should increase your fps.

bubu

JoeHead

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Alright man. Be careful with the results of those things. If you look a sound card is not even installed. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE SOUNDFX ON LOW AT LEAST. Second there are so many variables by turning off marks on walls, sky res., yatta yatta yatta ... Also at low settings you will not compare with a fast cpu but at high settings you can match a 1.2 GHz sys cause it's the card that will slow you down now.

I know it sucks not to have your sys perform but anything above 60 fps is all you will ever need!!!

Now Fragg at will!!

TRENDING THREADS