Question GeForce 210 graphics card... running on win7.... Fix for blacked-out screen.

Jul 21, 2022
Old school ET here.. My job is to keep 20 plus year old industrial PCs running as long as they can... Allen-Bradley, Pro-face, Beckoff, Siemens, etc.... Every once in a while. I get one that's running win98,... but mostly XP... At home,..I'm hanging on to win7 as long as I can.... So,.. I had a devil of a time trying to get the Geforce 210 card to run rite... There maybe other fixes,..but here's mine...

Do all the normal stuff,..down load software,..install the pic,..re-start pc,..etc..... And when your done,.. you get a black-out..no signal vga screen... You have to pull the pic card to get the pc to switch back to the on-board gpu,.. if you want to see anything...

So,.. after some screwing around with it for awhile.. here's what I came up with... YOU MUST USE A FULL SET 15 WIRE VGA CABLE.. Most newer vga cables only have the basic pins connected,.. R,G,B, H,V,..gnd... even though it's a 15 pin D connector... The on-board gpu doesn't need the monitor ID sig,.. it just defaults to a generic monitor,... The Geforce will not come on unless it knows what the monitor is... I've got a dozen or more vga cables at the house and only one was a full 15 wire set... And it was the oldest, gnarly looking cable that I had... HOW TO CHECK??? best way is to meter the cable,,.. No meter ??? look for the fattest vga cable you've got,... Those new skinny cables won't work.....