Geforce 280 GTX strange errors/crashes, please help!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Did you ever get those 3dmark vantage scores? or perhaps 3dmark 06 scores? you can always compare the 2 to see if there is an actual framerate loss.

Hopefully your video card was not damaged during all the cutting off business you had with the old unit.

Zalgradis

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
I did get two scores using 3dMark06 Basic, both were around 6400 +-50 with PS 3.0 (11600 overall). I have been unable to find any systems with my spec to compare the scores though, so im not sure quite what to make of it :(

@jaydeejohn: That does sound like a good idea, but unfortunately i have no idea which connectors are on the 28 amp 12v3 and 12v4 rails. I assume they are the 8 pin molex to 8 pin PCI-E. Even so, if the 6 pin molex to 6 pin PCI-E are 18 amps, that still adds up to 46 amps, well enough over the 40 amp requirement. I do have two 8 pin molex to 6 pin PCI-E adapters though, so i can test that a little later.

As for the card being damaged, that thought had crossed my mind, but in terms of stability it seems absolutely fine. It would seem rather odd if actual physical damage to the card would only decrease the frame rates in games rather than some more serious damage.

As your rig is stable now and that the 3dmark 06 scores from the old psu and the new one we're roughly the same I'd have to say that your problem is solved. As long as the fps is not horribly low you should just play through a couple of games.

Zalgradis

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Wonderful.

Everything is working fine, couldnt be happier.

Then 3 hours into playing wow... system turns off, and refuses to boot. The red light on the back of the PSU (coolermaster real power 1000w modular) is on, and lights on the motherboard are on (blue led screen on the back of the asus commando shows "CPU-INIT" indicating it is receiving power, but does not respond to either the case power on button, or the motherboards power button.

I put the old coolermaster 650w (the one i first replaced with the 1010w OCZ which is now back with ebuyer) into the system, conecting only the CPU power, mobo power, and graphics card power (2x molex to 6 pin, 2x 6 pin to 8 pin), and the system turned on.

I'm guessing the PSU has blown.. RMA'd it for a direct replacement.

sigh.

pilot3729

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
From what I'm reading you are still suffering from in game graphic lockup?

I had the same problem running Age of Conan and Everquest II...I'm running:

Asrock p45-2000 Wi-fi
E8600 3.33 Wolfdale
8 GB of OZC Reaper
ABS 1100 W power
Velociraptor 300 GB
24" ASUS 2ms 1900x1200
Xtreme Pro Xi-Fi Creative Soundblaster PCI-E
ABS El Diablo Case
2 Antec Spot fans-one on memory/one on right side of the GTX280
VGA slot cooler fan

First thing I did was test my memory sticks, removed two of them, replaced NVidia 177.41 with 177.89 from www.3dguru.com
I downloaded CPU temp monitor there also.

I also dowloaded Ntune 2.09 and went into the control panel and selected Age of Conan DX10 profile....

my temps went from 70 C under load to 63C under load....

I know some of these cards can run hot, but sometimes the thermal paste they use needs to break in. Everyday my card is running cooler as I just got it five days ago.

I also downloaded Rivatuner and set the fan to 100 percent, but beware you might not be able to access NTunes sensor monitoring as this caused a conflict in my system and blue screened me every time I tried to open it.

I know this is frustrating but just keep trying....I did and it paid off!

Now I run full settings in AOC with hours of no crashing. I'm now going to try to add my other 2x2 memory sticks and see what it does. Unfortunately, I'm defraggiing right now and it's taking forever so as I'm writing this I hope this could get you started on a solution.

Note: before you go buying a set of Antec fans make sure your mobo has extra sets of fan plug-ins and make sure they're close to where you want to mount them. Unfortunately I learned this the hard way and had to make my own adapters and run them straight off my power supply...

Good luck.....if you have any questions feel free to email me at pilot3729@hotmail.com

Cheers

Zalgradis

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
I'm no longer experiencing graphics lockups, i haven't done since i uninstalled nTune, but my problem was that the OCZ PSU WAS faulty (Ebuyer confirmed after testing), Coolermaster blew... I'm now using a Corsair HX 1000W Modular - fingers crossed.

Zalgradis

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
The coolermaster that blue had 6 rails. The problem is, not only is having 6 rails bad (apparently mad power fluctuation), but i have NO idea which connector is on which rail, since they are not labeled. Its possible that i overloaded one rail with too many connectors, but i will never know.

The corsair has two rails.. all SATA/Molex connectors are on 12V2, plus two of the 8x molex -> PCI-E connectors are on 12V2, leaving the other 2x 8 molex -> PCI-E connectors, and i THINK the two hard wired PCI-E connectors (which i am currently using to power my 280) on 12V1.

If this is so, 12V2 is powering all 6 drives (4x hdd 2x dvd) + case fans and fan control, spread across 4 cables, and 12V1 is powering the graphics card.

I cannot think of a better way to set this up, so if THIS fails as well, the PCs next stop is the ground 30 feet below my window.

Zalgradis

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Still getting errors with the card when running multiple WoW clients. FPS dies and some polygons are ditorted. Closing the game causes the system to lock up for a few seconds, but then seems fine. this usually doesnt happen for several hours though, and happens completely at random while the game is running.

Zalgradis

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
I'm opening a new thread concerning my problems witht he geforce 280 card.

Thank you everyone for helping me with my power su pply issue, i hope that this system will be runnig stabally soon.

Zalgradis

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Almost two weeks on, and the Corsair HX 1000W is performing brilliantly, i would strongly recommend it to anyone who is looking to power multiple SATA devices and 1 or 2 high end cards (9800gx2 / 280's).

Unfortunately I am still having a few problems with my 280 card. Details can be found here: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/254491-15-geforce-glitching-issues#t1860880

Thanks again to everyone who helped me with this issue.