GeForce 3... me don't care

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

>Fair enough, but then - what is the point of having a computer that has 'potential'
>but can't actually do anything as it is? Thats stupid! It's like buying a car
>without an engine and saying 'well it has the potential to go really fast,
>but right now all we can do is sit in it'.

It's like buying a car with the best engine, but has no stereo. Because the stereo
is incompatible with the car ;). You can drive around the town (play with the OS).
But the chair is prety basic (basic browser), and the air bag not too advance too
(basic word processor). You have no stereo (no major big games).

>I know people like to fiddle with things, and I am no exception any interesting
>looking bits of software I like to try out, but most only end up being used
>once or twice because in the real world, they simply aren't very useful.
>If only OS like BeOS had more software and hardware support it might be
>a different matter, but even then, you are never gonna have the kind of
>support that Microsoft has, just because they have been around for so long.

BeOS wouldn't be good for avarage Joe user.
Some of geek would like to use it, some try it, some play around with it.
But I believe a reviewer site like THG should try it. Expecially on Dual Processor review.
Because that's would be interesting.

>Linux is still crap. No-one can convince me otherwise.

Linux is best on server.
On Desktop I voted BeOS, then MS, then Linux.
I know Linux is getting better on desktop, but it still hard to use for joe user.

Get BeOS (http://free.be.com)
The Best ever Operating System

Gog

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
>I know Linux is getting better on desktop, but it still hard to use for joe user.
I would say fine to use (Caldera is anyway) absolute fugging B***tard to change any system settings (for joe user)

Hmmmm... Donuts

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Cycnuskus & BeOS sitting on a tree, k.i....

.. sorry, couldn't resist!

Wasn't Amiga supposed to have chosen BeOS as its main os or something?

Whats happening with amiga these days anyway?

Linux is great! stop badmouthing Linux. Grrrrrrrrrrr.....

Its got some great apps - 2d/3d graphics, office, plus games (executables for some windows games anyway).
Its also great for running as a server.

I've sampled BeOS, but haven't looked at it in depth.

The problem is that the OS market is getting crowded. From what I've been hearing, BE is not as good as linux or BSD at running server stuff. And, even it is a brilliant home os, its gonna have a lotta problems. Linux already has way more exposure than Be. Windows already has the market in its hands (for now any way). Now, if BE cannot find ways of proving that it is worth leaving linux/windows and going for BeOS, they are gonna remain amongst enthusiasts.

And 50,000 users isn't a very large number of users. Don't get me wrong, it isn't exactly a cult, infact, it can be seen as a community of users. But, the other os's already have billions of users locked in.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Dear seven bloody demons of Hailrond!

Do you actually get dumber as time progresses?

The last time you main such a todo about BeOS, I came to you with honest questions about what made it any better. And you instantly jumped on my as though I had somehow profained all that was good in the world.

Then when I finally do get some actual information out of you instead of just your crappy attitude, I come to hear that BeOS is in actuality no better than any other OS used. It may have been based on better concepts, but the way that they are implemented isn't better at all. And with how much it lacks in other areas, it's a wonder anyone would ever want to use it.

You call me a liar because you say that I tried to discredit BeOS. All I did was show just how much it fails to be everything you claim it to be. It wasn't ME who discredited BeOS. It was BeOS who discredited itself by NOT being what it could/should be. Or perhaps it was you who discredited BeOS by claiming it was more than it actually is.

You want to know why THG doesn't run any comparisons against BeOS? Because it's impossible for them to! BeOS doesn't support enough hardware to run a benchmark with. And even IF it did, what benchmark could THG run on it since it doesn't support ANY software that THG uses? Hmm?

At least THG could theoretically sit down and benchmark Linux against Windows because they have some similar software titles. But BeOS has nothing that could be benchmarked with.

And this in itself says it all.

And you definately need to sit down and calm yourself and look in a mirror before you go even suggesting that the kettle is black.

You tell me that I over-react to your posts on BeOS. What have I EVER said that is an over-reaction? All I've done is ask you about it, research it myself, and find it to be sorely lacking. And so I tell people the TRUTH about BeOS. I haven't said a single thing about it that isn't true. If you can call that an over-reaction, then maybe you need to look up the words in a dictionary.

Meanwhile, there's you. You call me a liar when it's obvious to anyone who read those posts that you're the one not telling the truth. You constantly jump on me for things I haven't even implied in my words. You make extreme and completely incorrect judgements about me with absolutely nothing to base them on. I'd have to say that without any doubt, you're the ONLY one over-reacting here.

You talk of Zen like you know what it is. But then your words are so UN-ZEN-LIKE that it clearly shows that you either know nothing about Zen, or that you have no idea how to live Zen. Either way, only stupid people preach that which they do not practice.

And as for Linux, it really DOES need to come up with some better standards. My saying this has nothing to do with Microsoft, BeOS, or even the color of the sky. I think it's best summed up with the old proverb, "Too many cooks spoil the broth." Right now Linux is being pulled in too many directions. People are constnatly re-inventing the wheel. They spend too much time writing code to do the same thing that someone else wrote. And why? Because Linux doesn't have a set standard that everyone can follow.

Don't even try to suggest that I don't know what I'm talking about because as we speak I'm researching as much as possible into Linux as I can because I'm in the process of converting code from Windows 2000 to Linux and trying to use QT to do it. I KNOW Linux.

So stop your ranting and your lies. If you want to hold an INTELLIGENT conversation about BeOS, I'm completely open to it. But so far you haven't proven that you could even hold an intelligent conversation with a five-year-old.

And if all that you are going to do is over-react to everything that anyone says and call people liars and make up lies about them because they can prove that BeOS isn't all that you claim it to be, then don't even bother posting. This is a FORUM. A place for holding INTELLECTUAL conversations about topics. Not a place for you.

- Sanity is purely based on point-of-view.

>And 50,000 users isn't a very large number of users.
>Don't get me wrong, it isn't exactly a cult, infact,
>it can be seen as a community of users. But, the other
>os's already have billions of users locked in.

it's around 50,000 user that use BeOS as primary OS that
want to post their opinion on web... acording to Be

There were more than that.
Some user use BeOS as primary OS, but don't care about OS war. They just use it.
Some use it as secondary OS.

I estimate user around 200k - 500k (active+pasive).
It's still small... but we are real.

Get BeOS (http://free.be.com)
The Best ever Operating System

>Dear seven bloody demons of Hailrond!
>Do you actually get dumber as time progresses?

I read your post too much, and learn too much from you.
I must stop reading your post if I don't want to get dumber.

>The last time you main such a todo about BeOS,
>I came to you with honest questions about what made it any better.
>And you instantly jumped on my as though I had somehow profained
>all that was good in the world.

You talk sweatly, but there were poison inside every word you said.

>Then when I finally do get some actual information out of you instead of just
>your crappy attitude, I come to hear that BeOS is in actuality no better than
>any other OS used. It may have been based on better concepts, but the way
>that they are implemented isn't better at all. And with how much it lacks in
>other areas, it's a wonder anyone would ever want to use it.

I never said this.
I wonder why you like to twist a fact so much.
I said that for server Unix/Linux is better than Win2000/NT/9x/BeOS.
But for desktop BeOS is the easiest & powerfull. It just it lack of apps.
And apps is not equal to OS.

>You call me a liar because you say that I tried to discredit BeOS.
>All I did was show just how much it fails to be everything you claim it to be.

I call you liar because you like to twist a fact so much.

>It wasn't ME who discredited BeOS. It was BeOS who discredited
>itself by NOT being what it could/should be. Or perhaps it was you
>who discredited BeOS by claiming it was more than it actually is.

See what I mean. You talked nicely at first sentence of your paragraphs, then twisted a fact with lie on the latter sentence.

>You want to know why THG doesn't run any comparisons against BeOS?
>Because it's impossible for them to! BeOS doesn't support enough hardware
>to run a benchmark with. And even IF it did, what benchmark could THG run
>on it since it doesn't support ANY software that THG uses? Hmm?

First of all, THG has Linux kernel compilation benchmark.
Why don't THG has Windows kernel compilation benchmark.

It would be a great article if THG could show the benefit of dual processor using an OS design for it.
Every OS do job differently. And Be claim that BeOS did the best on dual configuration.
I can't prove this because I don't have the knowladge to benchmark like THG did.
And I don't have Win2000/NT4.0 either. It's too expensive.
So I asked Tom nicely over several e-mail.

And THG did had hardware to do benchmark.
BeOS support great amount of hardware.
It even support propulsion chipset (8-way Xeon).
And THG could use some native BeOS software to test for SMP system.

It doesn't have to have the Window counterpart.
As THG didn't have Windows kernel compilation.

>At least THG could theoretically sit down and benchmark Linux against
>Windows because they have some similar software titles. But BeOS has
>nothing that could be benchmarked with.
>And this in itself says it all.
>And you definately need to sit down and calm yourself and look in a mirror
>before you go even suggesting that the kettle is black.

>You tell me that I over-react to your posts on BeOS. What have I EVER said that is
>an over-reaction? All I've done is ask you about it, research it myself, and find it to
>be sorely lacking. And so I tell people the TRUTH about BeOS.

How can you know the truth about BeOS if you never touch it.
You definetly playing a good troll roll here.

>I haven't said a single thing about it that isn't true. If you can call that an over-reaction,
>then maybe you need to look up the words in a dictionary.

This is why I hate you soo much.
You always said you never said a single things that isn't true.
But you put FUD everywhere on your sentence.
Like you said because THG doesn't have the hardware to do benchmark.
How do you know about it.

* motherboard: BeOS can run on i440BX, i440LX, i440ZX, i815, i810, i820, Atlon, Duron, VIA chipset, ALI chipset.
* processor: intel pentium & up, AMD K5 & up.
* memory: all
* HD: all
* Video card: nVidia Riva128 & up, ATi, Matrox G200 & up, 3DFx Voodoo2 & up.
* NIC: 3COM 905, 905b, 905c

So how can THG doesn't have the hardware?
This is your lie, fud, lie, fud, lie.

>Meanwhile, there's you. You call me a liar when it's obvious to anyone who
>read those posts that you're the one not telling the truth.

Where's my lie??
Can you point it out??
I don't want a twisted lie from you again.
Show me where I lie without twisting the fact!!!!

>You constantly jump on me for things I haven't even implied in my words.
>You make extreme and completely incorrect judgements about me with
>absolutely nothing to base them on. I'd have to say that without any doubt,
>you're the ONLY one over-reacting here.

As I said before, I judge you by what you did. And I found out you were a liar.

>You talk of Zen like you know what it is. But then your words are so UN-ZEN-LIKE
>that it clearly shows that you either know nothing about Zen, or that you have no
>idea how to live Zen. Either way, only stupid people preach that which they do not practice.

I did better than you.

>And as for Linux, it really DOES need to come up with some better standards.
>My saying this has nothing to do with Microsoft, BeOS, or even the color of the sky.
>I think it's best summed up with the old proverb, "Too many cooks spoil the broth."
>Right now Linux is being pulled in too many directions. People are constnatly
>re-inventing the wheel. They spend too much time writing code to do the same
>thing that someone else wrote. And why? Because Linux doesn't have a set
>standard that everyone can follow.

Standard limit imagination.
Only idiot like you need standard to use Linux.
Linux is good because it has more than one standard.
Even microsoft reliase this and had made WinCE, Win9x, WinNT.
Why?? Because one can't fit all.

>Don't even try to suggest that I don't know what I'm talking about because as we speak
>I'm researching as much as possible into Linux as I can because I'm in the process of
>converting code from Windows 2000 to Linux and trying to use QT to do it. I KNOW Linux.

Yeah right.

>So stop your ranting and your lies. If you want to hold an INTELLIGENT conversation
>about BeOS, I'm completely open to it. But so far you haven't proven that you could
>even hold an intelligent conversation with a five-year-old.

Don't tell me that you only 5 years old.
No wonder your post doesn't show any inteligent a grown up should have.
I appolize to you then. For 5 years old, your post is very GOOD.

>And if all that you are going to do is over-react to everything that anyone says and
>call people liars and make up lies about them because they can prove that BeOS isn't
>all that you claim it to be, then don't even bother posting. This is a FORUM. A place for
>holding INTELLECTUAL conversations about topics. Not a place for you.

Right...
This is a forum.
If you don't like the conversation about it.
Skip this thread, and don't spread FUD.

Get BeOS (http://free.be.com)
The Best ever Operating System

Dear all,

I'm really sorry that a couple of my last message is really Off Topic.
At first, I just try to tell how I feel about GeForece 3, but somehow
some troll bait me into flame war.

slvr_phoenix has been trying several time to bait me into flame war
in several topic we made.

I'm really sorry about all of this.. and won't continue the flame war.

Mr. Slvr_phoenix, if you really want to talk intelegintely about BeOS
I invite you to talk in person to more than 1 BeOS user, so you know
what going on in other side of word. And you will be ready for BeOS
if BeOS revolution success ;P

-----
Send mail to the BeUserTalk mailing list,
send your message with a descriptive subject to beusertalk@be.com.
Note: you must be a member of the BeUserTalk list to send a message to the list.
The list will reject messages from non-members.

Get BeOS (http://free.be.com)
The Best ever Operating System

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Good, please discribe some of the software that you use and is available in BEOS. Is BEOS open source like Linux? What particular (please be brief as possible) do you see better in BEOS? You have sparked my interest and hope you are not turned off by all the flaming. Does BEOS support USB, AGP, busmastering, IDE ultraDMA100 for via chipsets? Does Via or BE have BEOS drivers for via chipsets? Printer drivers? (Just be brief here please.) I hope you will be able to answer some of the following. One note is that I can't say anything about BEOS since I've havn't tried it. Has everyone here tried it and are expressing their evaluation of the operating system? If not then why are you debating this issue? Thanks.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Okay, you asked for it. You want proof that you're a liar, you've got it.

"It's more advance than Linux (Linux is based on Unix)
and it's more advance than WinNT (NT is based on Windows)"
Two lies right there. Newer does not mean more advanced. BeOS has crap for networking and very little driver support. So right there, you started this whole topic with lies.

">It has crap for hardware support. It has crap for software titles.
It's not"
It does too have a complete lack of software titles. And the ones that it does have are stripped-down pieces of garbage that hardly have near the functionality that Windows, Linux, and even Macintosh software have. It doesn't support NVIDIA video cards. It doesn't support a large number of cheap audio cards. It doesn't support ANY old hardware such as a Creative Labs AWE32. It has crap for hardware support and for software titles.

"Linux is better than Window in server, but not in home/office user.
Linux is better than BeOS in Server, but not in home/office user.
BeOS is better than Linux/Window in home/office user."
Linux and Windows 2000 are perfectly tied for server use. They're both darn good products. BeOS is absolutely NO FASTER than Linux or Windows when running on a single-cpu system. Since only an extreme minority of home or office users have dual CPU systems, this makes BeOS in NO WAY better. And add on to that the fact that there isn't even proof that BeOS even IS any better at running multiple CPU systems. And, if you account for the fact that BeOS doesn't have any real games, that means that it isn't good for many home users at all. Gaming is a large portion of home PC use.

"I wonder why you hate BeOS so much without ever trying it."
Yet another collection of lies. First off, I don't hate BeOS. I just find it severely underwhelming. Second off, I did try using it, and it couldn't even support my hardware, so I quickly got rid of it.

"pitty you.
used by MS
tricked by MS

money gone to MS for nothing
brain wash by MS
pitty you."
Another collection of lies. MS has never yet tricked me nor used me. I however use MS. That doesn't make me some sort of MS pawn. It just means that the software I NEED runs on the Windows OS. The money I have spent on MS products has been well spent as with MS products I get to use ALL of my hardware. I get to use any software that I need. And I get to write software that I know other people will actually be able to use. If anyone here is brainwashed, it's you. You seem to think that MS is somehow evil incarnate and that Windows is completely useless. I pity you.

"It seems a bit imposible right now because nVidia has been laid by MS."
Yet another lie! They are simply supporting the OS that has the MOST USERS! They support Linux too. Linux isn't MS. So it's dreadfully obvious how much of a lie your statement is.

"BeOS even more user friendly than MacOS."
Yet another lie. The ONLY thing that the Macintosh has over any other computer is that their OS is so annoyingly easy to use.

"BeOS/Linux beat Win9x/WinNT"
Yet more lies from you. This obviously your personal opinion because it has absolutely no fact to back it up.

"Liar...
When I first post in THG about dual motherboard.
I wrote that I want THG to test dual processor mobo with several OS.
And please compare it with: NT4/2000, Linux kernel 2.3/2.4 (more is better), BeOS R4.5/R5.
I want to know which OS is better in Dual processor env.
I have read a lot about this, but never read it from hardware reviewer that I trust the most
(THG).

When I post for THG to benchmark with those OS,
you then discredit BeOS.
You wrote that THG shouldn't use/try BeOS because nobody use it, it's crap, not supporting your hardware, and not supporting your software. Now you want to tell the other way around??? LIAR"
Yet more lies from you. I never did discredit BeOS. I merely pointed out the FACTS. The FACTS are that BeOS does NOT support enough hardware AND it does NOT have enough software titles. And that the BeOS API while sounding better, is actually in no way better than the Windows API because to truely multi-thread an application you still have to do it all manually under BOTH OSs. The ONLY difference between BeOS and Windows is that the software written for BeOS is all written as fully multi-threaded. And that, obviously, isn't even an OS difference. It's a software product difference!

"See what I mean....
You always over react when I posted about BeOS."
Yet another lie. You obviously don't know the definition of over-react because I didn't. I only gave FACTS that prove thatBeOS isn't the best OS ever.

"Linux is more free than BeOS.
Your post here has no point.
Another FUD by slvr_phoenix the liar man."
Again you lie. Because first, I didn't lie, so when you call me a 'liar man' you're obviously the one telling the falsehoods. And second, my point was that the only reason BeOS might be better than Windows is if you are looking at the price. But since Linux is totally free and much better than BeOS, it proves that BeOS really has no advantage over any other OS.

"I happend to like MS."
How in the world can you say you don't lie when you say things like that and then turn around and call me brainwashed by MS and wasting my money for using Windows? It's obvious that you've completely lied here.

"I use BeOS just because BeOS has more power"
Yet another lie from you. The BeOS operating system has absolutely no more power than Linux or Windows.

"MS want discourage other to use Linux by saying that if Linux is not agree to some
standard then Linux is not good."
Another of your lies, since these views are from the LINUX COMMUNITY, not from Microsoft. Frankly, Microsoft doesn't even care much about Linux because they have nothing to fear from Linux yet.

"The OS has the most potential of all other OS out there."
Yet again another lie from you. This whole statement is complete speculation. It can't even have a single fact behind it. The potential of any OS is based on the writers of the OS, not on the OS itself. When an OS needs to grow in areas, the programmers write the code for it to do so. It has absolutely nothing to do with what is already in the code.

"And THG as reviewer site should look into this wheter is it good or not,
whether is usefull or not."
Yet another lie. THG has yet to look into something that isn't good or useful just because someone thinks that THG should look into it.

"good religion doesn't counted by their follower.
Could you say religion A is better than B because having more follower?"
Another perfect example of you twist words. How can anyone compare an OS to a religion with a straight face?

"BeOS is stand for Best ever Operating System.
And it is...."
It most certainly is thoroughly proven that it is not the best OS ever. It does have some good concepts. But it lacks in MANY ways.

"you 100% against BeOS for no reason"
Yet another lie, since I've given reason after reason after reason. And I'm not against BeOS. I'm against you preaching BeOS like it's some answer to all the world's problems. And against you arguing with me when I have facts and you have only your attitude.

"because you said BeOS is sux."
Another lie because I am 100% certain that I NEVER said BeOS, "sux".

"I don't running an advertise for BeOS."
Geeze! This is the biggest lie of them ALL! Your autosignature is an advertisement for BeOS. Or hadn't you noticed? And you posted this:
"BeOS is a new OS created from scracth.
It's more advance than Linux (Linux is based on Unix)
and it's more advance than WinNT (NT is based on Windows)
You could find some BeOS news on
* http://www.benews.com
* http://www.beoscentral.com

Or download BeOS from:
* http://free.be.com
* http://www.gobe.com
* http://www.bebits.com

some BeOS tips:
http://ww.betips.net"
What can anyone call that other than an advertisement for BeOS? You lie! You lie! You lie!

"Not everybody created equal."
Another lie. EVERYONE is created equal. Not everyone has the same needs, wants, personalities, etc., but everyone IS created equal.

"You talk sweatly, but there were poison inside every word you said."
No. There were honest questions that I had about the OS. I'm ALWAYS interested in looking for a better product. I asked you completely innocent questions. And you attacked me with absolutely no provocation. The ONLY poison in anyone's words, was the poison in yours. You claimed to want to have an intellectual conversation about BeOS, and then you turned it into a fight.

"I never said this." (Referring to you saying that BeOS being no better than any other OS.)
Yes, you did say it. You didn't say it in this section. You said it in the other 'conversation' (if you can call it one since it was only you attacking me). I asked why BeOS was better. You explained how the entire API is based on multi-threading. But then you explained how the automatic multi-threading is really very basic and not very useful. And that to get a good multi-threaded application you had to still program it all manually anyway. In case you're not smart enough to put two and two together, I will spell it out for you. THIS MAKES IT EXACTLY LIKE ANY OTHER OS! So you DID say that BeOS WAS no better than any other OS.

"I call you liar because you like to twist a fact so much."
Yet another lie, as I haven't twisted a single fact yet. They're all right there for anyone to plainly see. It's YOU who twist things. And it's YOU who lie because you fail to accept the truth.

"
>It wasn't ME who discredited BeOS. It was BeOS who discredited
>itself by NOT being what it could/should be. Or perhaps it was you
>who discredited BeOS by claiming it was more than it actually is.

See what I mean. You talked nicely at first sentence of your paragraphs, then twisted a fact with lie on the latter sentence."
Yet more lies from you. I didn't twist a single fact there. You ARE claiming that BeOS is more than it actually is and are serving to greatly discredit it in doing so.

"BeOS support great amount of hardware."
Yet more lies. It supports SOME hardware. It is hardly a 'great' amount though.

"And THG could use some native BeOS software to test for SMP system."
Yet another lie. They most certainly could not use some native BeOS software to test because then they would be completely unable to run the same software on a Windows or Linux system. And if they can't run the same software on all platforms, then it isn't any sort of a fair comparison because the software itself could be making the difference in performance. Thus it CANNOT be used to benchmark.

"It doesn't have to have the Window counterpart.
As THG didn't have Windows kernel compilation."
Again you twist things into horrible lies. THG has NEVER compared the performance of Windows against that of Linux. They have compared two different CPUs on how well they work under both platforms. That is COMPLETELY different from comparing the two OSs. So you CANNOT use this as a legitimate argument for why THG should benchmark BeOS.

"How can you know the truth about BeOS if you never touch it."
Again, another lie. First, how COULD you know if I never used BeOS? Second, I DID TRY TO USE BEOS. It didn't support my hardware. I couldn't use it.

"And THG did had hardware to do benchmark."
Since an important role would be to see how well the best hardware runs under each OS, that means they would be using a GeForce 2 Ultra. Where's the BeOS support for that, may I ask? Oh, it doens't exist?

"I did better than you." (referring to practicing Zen)
First off, I NEVER preached Zen. You did. So you can't possibly hold it against me for not practicing it because I never even suggested that I do. Second off, every other statement from you is an attack on me. Me, I only call you intellectually challenged every so often. So that in itself proves that you're again lying because it's blatantly obvious that I AM more Zen-like than you. Those who practice Zen don't go around attacking people. It's a simple and obvious fact.

"Standard limit imagination."
Spoken like a true liar. Standards do NOT limit imagination. Standards prevent numerous people from having to write the same thing over and over and over. Standards give a solid groundwork to things so that anyone else can come along and UNDERSTAND what is being done. STANDARDS ARE THE BUILDING BLOCKS OF GOOD PROGRAMMING! Anyone who says that standards limit imagination are only trying to hide the fact that they aren't smart enough understand the standards.

"Only idiot like you need standard to use Linux."
Again, you twist my words. I NEVER said that I needed standards to use Linux. I said that Linux will flounder and never be able to compete successfully against Windows until they can set some standards so that the different Linux coders aren't fighting each other anymore and instead can concentrate on just making the code better. Even Linux programmers will completely agree with that.

"Linux is good because it has more than one standard."
No, Linux is hard for Linux fans to upgrade because it has too many people trying to set completely different standards.

"Even microsoft reliase this and had made WinCE, Win9x, WinNT.
Why?? Because one can't fit all."
Again you lie and twist things into complete nonesense. Microsoft wrote NT different from Windows9x because Win9x users didn't need (or want) things like forced security and multiple-processor support. Then later MS realized how painful it was to support several different OSs and wrote Windows 2000. Windows 2000 is Microsoft's effort to bring all Windows users back under a single Windows standard because THEY DON'T WANT TO SUPPORT SEVERAL DIFFERENT OSs.

"Don't tell me that you only 5 years old."
Again, you have twisted words into falsehood. I never said I was. I never even suggested or hinted that I was. It's only YOU TRYING TO FIGHT ME. Not very Zen-like, are you?

"No wonder your post doesn't show any inteligent a grown up should have."
Yet two more lies here. First off, my posts happen to be a lot more intelligent than yours because unlike you I actually give facts and reason, where as you just argue and attack my personhood. Second off, I think it's pretty obvious by your grammar who's posts don't show intelligence. But I'm willing to grant that you may not be a native speaker of English and am willing to overlook that. But again, the pot should never be calling the kettle black.

"but somehow some troll bait me into flame war."
For your information, in case you don't realise how much you're lying here, you voluntarily walked into it. And YOU'RE the only one blatantly flaming anyone/thing.

As for me, I've only been giving the side of the coin that you refuse to admit BeOS has: That BeOS does not meet the needs of most users, and that it is NOT the best OS ever.

I have never once said that BeOS is horrible and should never exist, or even anything close to such. I look forward to a day when fanatics like you will help to make it an actually good OS that may one day actually be able to compete against Windows.

However, if anything is capable of doing such I will be putting my bet on Linux.

Cycnuskus, so far you have sounded like a childish intellectually-challenged bully. And I don't for one second regret showing this to everyone here. Because it's obvious that anything that comes out of your mouth has a high probability of being twisted if not a flat out lie. For example, I haven't 'baited' you once. You freely walked right into starting a fight with me, even in the last section in the forum when I was only trying to ask you for more information about BeOS. You have time and time again started every fight. All I have ever done is try to give the whole picture to BeOS so that other people can decide for themselves if it is useful to them or not.

If you can call pointing out flaws with a product 'baiting' you into a 'flame war', then you have some issues to work out.

Personally, I'd LOVE to hold an intellectual conversation about the benefits of BeOS. Just not with you, because you obviously are not capable of such.

However, if you would like to prove me wrong and talk about it's usefullness without simultaniously bashing Linux, Windows, or myself then by all means please do so because I do enjoy a good conversation with intelligent people.

- Sanity is purely based on point-of-view.

>Good, please discribe some of the software that you use and is available in BEOS.

I use N+ to surf the net most of the time.
We also have Mozilla 0.8 & Opera 3.62/1, but I like N+ the best because it's speed.
For viewing a HTML 4.0/CSS/DHTML I use Mozilla 0.8.

I use BeMail for e-mail.

And also BeIDE for development (included in BeOS Pro,
and free download for BeOS PE from http://free.be.com).

I use ProcessController, Workspace Switcher (search in http://www.bebits.com).

>Is BEOS open source like Linux?

The kernel is not open source.
But the Tracker is open source (http://www.tracker.org).

>What particular (please be brief as possible) do you see better in BEOS?
>You have sparked my interest and hope you are not turned off by all the
>flaming.

I'm not really good as describing why I use BeOS.
I saw BeOS first on CPU-Central
(http://www.cpu-central.com/articles.asp?article_id=6879&decor_int=1)
And decide to buy it. After I try it I fall in love.
* It has journaled/MIME file system.
* It's responsiveness.
* It design natively with SMP in mind.
* It's the most OOP OS I ever use.

If you really want to know more, you might want to read: http://www.byte.com/index/Be_View
Scoot know how to describe a technology in an attractive manner.
So it won't bore people like I did ;)

>Does BEOS support USB, AGP, busmastering, IDE ultraDMA100 for via chipsets?
>Does Via or BE have BEOS drivers for via chipsets?

For more information on Be hardware compability (http://www.be.com/support/guides/beosreadylist_intel.html)

Be support some VIA chipset.
I don't remember what VIA chipset, but I believe it's all Pentium, PentiumII/Celeron, PentiumIII, Duron/Athlon.
I've read some BeOS user use VIA dual processor for Pentium III (newest).

>Printer drivers? (Just be brief here please.)

Most HP, Epson driver.
Will support most of Epson printer (based on new relationship with Epson).
See (http://www.be.com/support/guides/beosreadylist_intel.html)

You could try BeOS: http://free.be.com
BeOS apps: http://www.bebits.com
BeOS tips: http://www.betips.net
BeOS pub: http://www.benews.com

Get BeOS (http://free.be.com)
The Best ever Operating System

Wow cysybakus or whatever your name, you're really on BeOS's nutz huh? I'm just curious, what the hell kinda NASA space program, high tech, hackin', programming, "work" do you actually do on BeoS that makes it so great. And makes Win2K (the greatest OS of all time) a "toy OS". Sounds kinda lame to me, like some geek who really doesn't use this for anything productive other than the fact of being able to argue about why you are so special becuase you use some whack ass OS.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
**chuckles**
Heh heh.

Thank you for saying what I was trying to be nice and not say.

:)

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking those thoughts.

I still haven't found an OS better than Win2K. It may be expensive. It may eat up hard drive space and memory. It may require disableing some of the fruity eye-candy if you want it to respond well, but it's a rock-solid OS that's really easy to use and has support for all sorts of cool stuff like multiple CPUs and extreme networking (even beyond NT4's).

- Sanity is purely based on point-of-view.