GeForce 3 Question

G

Does anyone know if AGP2X or 4X is required for the GeForce 3
cards? Only having a motherboard with AGP1X featured, I'm wondering if 2X is actually a requirement or something that would be nice to provide enough of a pipeline to fully utilize the GF3's ability to push through more data. Thanks.

G

This is taken from the Hercules website under the system requirements for the 3D Prophet II:

Pentium® II / AMD K6® and higher or compatible
<b> Available AGP slot </b>
64MB RAM
10MB hard disk space (More to install games)
CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive
Microsoft Windows® 95 OSR2, Windows 98 and higher

Says only "available AGP slot." Using only AGP 1x might slow things down for you, but then maybe not. I would also be more comfortable if Hercules had said 1x/2x/4x or something like that. It almost looks like they just forgot to specify it, which means 1x may or may not work. You could try emailing Hercules at cservice@guillemot.com or NVIDIA at info@nvidia.com to find out more specific information. Post it here if you find a clear answer as I have wondered about this myself.

Actually, as I get to thinking more, are you sure your motherboard only supports 1x? In fact, though I could be wrong about this, I think that any board that has an AGP slot supports 1x and 2x. Don't get confused by the specification: AGP 1.0 can do 1x/2x. AGP 2.0 can do 1x/2x/4x. Stupid, eh? Anyway maybe you should double-check that. I bet your board does 2x because 2x was included in the very first AGP spec.

Cheers,
Warden

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
first off please specify your motherboard so someone can double check your findings. second off, why would you buy a gf3 for a computer that is obviously antiquidated and couldnt benefit very much from such a high end graphics card? for the price of a gf3 you could get a new motherboard, 1 gig athlon and 256pc133 ram. check out toms scaling performance of cpu vs. graphics card because it sounds like you really have an old cpu so you might benefit more from a faster cpu/ motherboard.

Even a broken watch is right twice a day...

G

Since the motherboard is a Soft Switch BH6 motherboard (Intel 440BX chipset) running a P3-450 CPU, I'm not exactly certain. Of course, the tech insisted it was AGP1X only, but i've learned not to trust the techs.