GeForce 3 Ti500 twin monitor setup

I've just bought a new monitor so that I have more desktop space for
photo editing etc. My original monitor is a CTX PR710T and my new one
an LG L1715S. Neither have DVI connectors so I bought a converter too.
My PC has XP Pro on it and was working fine with the CTX screen. I
added the LG on the DVI connector and after dropping the refresh rate to
75Hz got a picture on both displays.

BUT its the same picture on both. I've gone to display
properties|settings | advanced but only one monitor (the LG) shows up so
I can't choose how the monitors are set out. I've tried rebooting and
swapping the monitors to the other connector but still get no second
monitor in Windows. I've installed the latest Nvidia drivers and
strangley the Nvidia software shows a single monitor but its the CTX
one! Display properties still shows the LG monitor. I've tried "adding
hardware" through control panel but there is no option for another
display, only for display adaptors.

Any ideas what I should try next?

Thanks

ChrisJ

ChrisJ wrote:
> I've just bought a new monitor so that I have more desktop space for
> photo editing etc. My original monitor is a CTX PR710T and my new one
> an LG L1715S. Neither have DVI connectors so I bought a converter
> too. My PC has XP Pro on it and was working fine with the CTX
> screen. I added the LG on the DVI connector and after dropping the
> refresh rate to 75Hz got a picture on both displays.
>
> BUT its the same picture on both. I've gone to display
> properties|settings | advanced but only one monitor (the LG) shows up
> so I can't choose how the monitors are set out. I've tried rebooting
> and swapping the monitors to the other connector but still get no
> second monitor in Windows. I've installed the latest Nvidia drivers
> and strangley the Nvidia software shows a single monitor but its the
> CTX one! Display properties still shows the LG monitor. I've tried
> "adding hardware" through control panel but there is no option for
> another display, only for display adaptors.
>
> Any ideas what I should try next?
>
> Thanks
>
> ChrisJ

Been a while since I used a Nvidia card (used to have a GF4 with 2
monitors - now have a 9800pro) but it is somewhere in Nview I think.

You could check out a little app called UltraMon which handles everything to
do with dual screen setup and is very very nice.

ChrisJ wrote:

> I've just bought a new monitor so that I have more desktop space for
> photo editing etc. My original monitor is a CTX PR710T and my new one
> an LG L1715S. Neither have DVI connectors so I bought a converter too.
> My PC has XP Pro on it and was working fine with the CTX screen. I
> added the LG on the DVI connector and after dropping the refresh rate to
> 75Hz got a picture on both displays.
>
> BUT its the same picture on both. I've gone to display
> properties|settings | advanced but only one monitor (the LG) shows up so
> I can't choose how the monitors are set out. I've tried rebooting and
> swapping the monitors to the other connector but still get no second
> monitor in Windows. I've installed the latest Nvidia drivers and
> strangley the Nvidia software shows a single monitor but its the CTX
> one! Display properties still shows the LG monitor. I've tried "adding
> hardware" through control panel but there is no option for another
> display, only for display adaptors.
>
> Any ideas what I should try next?
>
> Thanks
>
> ChrisJ
I don't think the GF3 series can do two monitors at the same time. The
GF2 MX ( but not the regular GF2s ) and all the GF 4s ( MX and Ti ) and
everything after that could do 2 monitors with independent displays. I
haven't heard of a GF3 with two monitor outputs before.

"ChrisJ" <chris@youmustbekiddingifyouthinkimusingarealaddress.com> wrote in
message news:4199d72d$0$43612$ed2e19e4@ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net...
> I've just bought a new monitor so that I have more desktop space for
> photo editing etc. My original monitor is a CTX PR710T and my new one
> an LG L1715S. Neither have DVI connectors so I bought a converter too.
> My PC has XP Pro on it and was working fine with the CTX screen. I
> added the LG on the DVI connector and after dropping the refresh rate to
> 75Hz got a picture on both displays.
>
> BUT its the same picture on both. I've gone to display
> properties|settings | advanced but only one monitor (the LG) shows up so
> I can't choose how the monitors are set out. I've tried rebooting and
> swapping the monitors to the other connector but still get no second
> monitor in Windows. I've installed the latest Nvidia drivers and
> strangley the Nvidia software shows a single monitor but its the CTX
> one! Display properties still shows the LG monitor. I've tried "adding
> hardware" through control panel but there is no option for another
> display, only for display adaptors.
>
> Any ideas what I should try next?
>
> Thanks

A different card. The GF3 series did not have dual ramDACs, so you can only
get the same image on two monitors, you cant get different images on two
monitors with that series of cards..

YOu need a GF2MX, any GF4, or FX card. Look for cards with dual ramDACS...

> I don't think the GF3 series can do two monitors at the same time. The
> GF2 MX ( but not the regular GF2s ) and all the GF 4s ( MX and Ti )
Indeed, the lack of dual monitor support was what stopped me from getting a
GF3 card.