[SOLVED] GeForce 3060 on old system

Oct 31, 2021
Hi,
I am considering jumping on cryptocurrency mining, just for exposure and experience. I already have an old computer Dell 660, with GeForce 630 on it along with i5 3450, working just fine.
I was wondering if I can put 3060 on it replacing 630? Oh and BTW I have replaced PSU with a Gigabyte 750W Gold certified.

Solution
Just any one else facing this or similar issue, I got display on my monitor. Problem was cable being used to connect monitor was either faulty or was one way - DVI to HDMI(not the other way). I got those HDMI DVI converter and display was there. So far its been a week and there are no issues whatsoever.
Secondly my OS I installed on legacy mode, and still 3060 is working fine, so the UEFI thing does not apparently apply.

Thanks everyone for all the support 🙏.

Yes all those adapter cables are only good in one direction. It's actually a very common thing to just use the sides randomly but it does matter. The conversion and name is always from the video card to the monitor, so if you bought a DVI to HDMI cable it would be DVI...
Oct 31, 2021
That's a B75 chipset. IF the bios is uefi, then it'll work. If the bios is the old style, then highly doubtful. Some chipsets were updated to uefi after the z68's, many z77's, but not sure on a Dell B75.

Thanks for a swift feedback. I checked the bios and it does have UEFI mode in boot sequence, though current OS, Win10 Pro, is installed in legacy mode. I tried to change it, but it won't boot anymore citing no boot device found.

Anyway does above information is enough for me to proceed with 3060 or not?

Furthermore pardon my ignorance but how UEFI is associated with graphic cards, especially in my context?

Oct 31, 2021
Which model exactly?
P750GM

Does the fit in the Dell case?

Yes. Quite well actually. It even powers up, I see lights light up on card. But I am not getting any display on monitor.
BTW the monitor is hooked up using HDMi to DVI cable (monitor does not have HDMi port).
Also the Windows boots up properly as I am able to connect to it via RDP, but device manager does not list GeForce 3060 under display adaptors.

Oct 31, 2021
Just any one else facing this or similar issue, I got display on my monitor. Problem was cable being used to connect monitor was either faulty or was one way - DVI to HDMI(not the other way). I got those HDMI DVI converter and display was there. So far its been a week and there are no issues whatsoever.
Secondly my OS I installed on legacy mode, and still 3060 is working fine, so the UEFI thing does not apparently apply.

Yes all those adapter cables are only good in one direction. It's actually a very common thing to just use the sides randomly but it does matter. The conversion and name is always from the video card to the monitor, so if you bought a DVI to HDMI cable it would be DVI on the video card to HDMI on the monitor.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS