GEforce 4 MX 440 problem

PyroManiak

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2002
I just bought a VisionTek GEforce4 440 MX and when I tried to plug into my Asus A7V mobo, my monitor won't display anything, it's as if my computer was off. My monitor won't turn on like it does normally with my GEforce 2 MX. Is it my motherboard or do I have to change anything in bios to get my video card to work? Thanks.

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
You might want to check you bios to see what type of agp your mobo supports.

You dont have any onboard video right? If so install the cards drives, then diable the onboard.

-Tim

It seems that every time I reboot my wallet gets smaller.

rubikian

Distinguished
May 20, 2002
I have had this problem before with the Leadtek A170T GF4 MX440 with my ASUS P4T mobo as well. The monitor never turn on and can't even see the boot screen or going into the bios. I've contacted ASUS for a few times but they never reply. I ended putting that card into my P3 mobo which can only support AGP 2X. Till today, I'm not sure what happened. Maybe if you find the solution you can send it to me.

Dinski

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2002
First, put in your old card. Is everything OK?
Second, check the AGP-slot. Is your card completely put in?
Third, check the BIOS. Does it support AGPx4? If it's necessary, update it from the site of your mobo manufacturer.
If all these tips don't work, contact the card salesman. He must help you.

rubikian

Distinguished
May 20, 2002
My older card is GF3 Ti200. I bought the GF4 MX440 because my P3 is using TNT2 and performing damn poor. Just thinking of putting the GF3 into my P3 to boost up the performance and at the same time don't want to spend so much and get a GF4 MX440 for the meantime to get my P4 running. Thinking of upgrade to GF4 Ti4200...or maybe looking forward for ATI Radeon card.
Okay, back to the problem...With GF3, it was okay and the system is running AGP4X. The ASUS P4T is i850 chipset using RDRAM and it can only support AGP 1.5V and it seems like the GF4MX440 is AGP 1.5V (AGP 2.0 standard). Boot with GF3 to check the bios, everything looks fine. Then I even flashed the bios to the latest version from ASUS. Still can't work.
I found one interesting thing, that is the USWC (uncacheable speculative write combining) mode in the mobo. It says, if VGA card does not support this, the system will not boot. So I disabled (changed to UC, that was the only choice) it before I insert the GF4 MX440 card. Still no luck. The card was properly put in, no beep from the system, fans were all running, monitor shows nothing (not even boot screen for Bios) and the hard disk lighted up but not running.
I couldn't find the solution till today. Maybe one of you knows what went wrong... I can always try your suggestion as both PCs are now with me.

Well, this is configurations if you need one:

P4 1.7GHz (S423) - clocked to 1.9GHz
2 X 128MB RDRAM
ELSA GF3 Ti200 (Work) changed to Leadtek GF4 MX440(Not work)
ASUS P4T mobo with latest bios
SB live! 5.1 DE
Maxtor 7200rpm HDD
Samsung Syncmaster 753DFX monitor

I guess that's all that relevant. Another thing was that I clocked back to 1.7GHz for my processor but still can't work with the GF4 MX440 card. Now seems like pretty scare to upgrade to GF4 Ti4200.