Geforce 6800 cards=600 watt psu?

TwoBells

Distinguished
May 29, 2004

Hey All

I need some advice here, mainly to clear up a probable misunderstanding.

Currently I'm building a system around the AMD FX-53 cpu on a ASUS SK8V
mobo, with 1gb CORSAIR EEC, 80gb UDMA133 hdd, 200gb UDMA133 200GB HDD,
Plextor CDRW, PIONEER A07 DVDR and for my graphics solution I've decided on
the Geforce 6800.

I had ordered a AKASA 460 watt PSU and thought that was that, however, I
have since been told by a friend that the 6800 series will require a 600
watt psu.
Is that right?

Any relevant advice is welcome.

many thanks

SP

The 6800 requires a MINIMUM of 480 Watts from a conservatively rated (i.e.
not cheap) power supply unit. With the other hardware that you have I would
recommend getting the excellent Antec 550 Watt Tru-Power power supply unit.
It should handle your system fine, due to its conservative ratings and beefy
high quality build.

--
DaveW

"TwoBells" <toobells8@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hey All
>
> I need some advice here, mainly to clear up a probable misunderstanding.
>
> Currently I'm building a system around the AMD FX-53 cpu on a ASUS SK8V
> mobo, with 1gb CORSAIR EEC, 80gb UDMA133 hdd, 200gb UDMA133 200GB HDD,
> Plextor CDRW, PIONEER A07 DVDR and for my graphics solution I've decided
on
> the Geforce 6800.
>
> I had ordered a AKASA 460 watt PSU and thought that was that, however, I
> have since been told by a friend that the 6800 series will require a 600
> watt psu.
> Is that right?
>
> Any relevant advice is welcome.
>
> many thanks
>
> SP

I'm having no trouble with the following using an Antec TruePower 480

Athlon 64 3200+ @ 2.2GHz
GF 6800 Ultra OC (450/1170)
1GB RAM
2 Optical Drives