Geforce 740 sc 2gb installation problem

jingo500

Reputable
Feb 17, 2016
Hi Guys an Gals,
Got a bit of a problem, in several different parts :(
Recently picked up an HP xw4600 Workstation, running Win10, with an Nvidia Quadro 370 GPU in it.
I also picked up an EVGA Geforce GT 740 SC 2gb(single slot).
Problems started when I removed the 370, and installed the 740, when I powered the system on, I got 1 slightly long beep, system powers down, then system powers back up, and beeps 6 times, and proceeds to run all fans at what seems to be 100%.
The 740 has 2 DVI connections, and 1 mini-HDMI on it. I had to use a DVI to VGA adapter, as my tv only has a VGA input, and 3 HDMI.
The previous owner of the 740 tells me the card was working fine from his end, and that I just need to update my BIOS, and all will be fine. HP, on the other hand, has NO BIOS update for this system under W10, but *does* have one for W7(both exactly the same hardware, just not the OS).
Will downloading and running this BIOS update for W7 be detrimental to the system(read: Brick it), or will it just update itself, and then it will recognize this newer card?
I have read so many pages of people saying the 7xx series of GPU's don't play well with Legacy BIOS( the old kind), and that it needs a UEFI system for support. Previous owner of the 740 says it works fine under Legacy, but the spitting the dummy at boot kinda puts his claim in some murky waters.
I don't want to brick this system, and I also don't want to wreck the card by doing the wrong thing in the wrong order.
PSU says it's 465w, so it's getting the juice it needs.
If you need more info, just ask.
Any help would be appreciated, cos I'm buggered if I know what's goin on.
Cheers

That Quadro is an older Directx 10 card, so you'll need to uninstall that card's videocard drivers.

The GT 740 is really a rebadged 6xx series card, so all that UEFI bios/legacy bios stuff does not apply to it. You do need to install new videocard drivers for it though.

edit: In short, I think your issue is using the wrong drivers, you can't just swap these cards.

jingo500

Reputable
Feb 17, 2016

Hi there.
I did uninstall the 370 driver before installing the 740. System gave the beeps, and then the fans tried to fly to the moon. Couldn't pass POST, so I couldn't install the 740 drivers. I've had to go back to an AMD HD 6350, even though device manager tells me it's an HD 5450(go figure).
Could it be the DVI to VGA adapter I have to use to connect it to my tv? Should I try and get a mini hdmi to vga adapter and try connecting it like that?
This is def a weird one. I tried 3 cards, and only 2 work(6350 and 370).