Geforce 750 but which?

akiranyo

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
Greetings.
I use my computer mainly for work - Photoshop/Illustrator and anime watching (h264, MP4 -720/1080p) but also I like to play ocassionally games on Steam. My usual aim by a GPU was being quiet, with reasonable TDP. And of course always only nVidia, they just seem more compatible me as their rival (no offense to AMD fans of course)
My current GPU is a ASUS Geforce 450GTS (underclocked with passive cooling).
Other components are:
CPU i3-2120, Kingston 8GB RAM/1333, MB ASUS Z68 V-LX, WD Green 1TB, PSU Seasonic SS-400W 80+ Bronze, Win 7 HP 64 bit

So now, since the selling point of Maxwell is the low consumption, I thought of a upgrade to the non-Ti Geforce 750 and if possible without the 6-pin power cable.
Guess they all come with active cooling, but which brand would offer the most quiet from them?
I don't mind to pay more for less noise.
I'm deciding between ASUS, MSI or Gigabyte. Gainward is one of the really noisy ones as I have read and I have only few info from brands like EVGA or Zotac, though those you can also buy in my country.
Any help will be appreciated.

Joniostis

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013
Go with EVGA, although you might pay a little more, they produce some of the best quality GPU's out there. It runs quiet, cool and looks good too.
As far as models go you should go with the models without acx cooler as they don't require that extra 6-pin connector. So either the 750 standard or the 750 superclocked, that's up to you of course

Cheers

Joni

akiranyo

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
I added EVGA to my possibility list, however I decided to wait another month and read all popping up reviews. Unfortunately the reviews on the non-Ti 750 one seems much more scarce as on Ti. Another reason is that my Seasonic PSU started to make a grinding noise on startup/ more load and since cleaning didn't helped, I simply bought a new one (Corsair) which means another non-calculated money-give-away.
Thanks for your answer notheless, I really appreciate it.

Joniostis

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013

How old was your PSU, seasonic makes the best PSU's so if it were a new or almost new one that should be very weird. Also if one of the given answers was helpfull to you, please make sure you select it as "best answer" to help out the community so people with similar situations can quickly find a solution to their problem.

Joni

akiranyo

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
It just went trough the warrantly age (some kind of curse?) and I was surprised myself as long I considered Seasonic as one of the best - if not the best PSU brand. Even my crappy 350W Eurocase lasted 5 years before it went up in a white smoke. (first I though that my PSU is chosing a new pope) The Fortron in my secondary PC works since 7 years. (5 from that was in the PC of my friend though - he replaced my Eurocase with that) Good thing they don't sell Diablotek arround this parts *lols hard*

And of course I will, but as long Geforce 750 is a pretty hot article now, I want keep the topic a bit up before I decide for a answer.

Joniostis

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013

Alright then, good descision.
Wich exact Corsair model did you purchase??

akiranyo

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
I just have read especially about EVGA 750 cards that they have a problem with their fans, as long the minimal allowed speed is 42%. Thats just too much if your computer is in idle mode (browsing, 2D apps).
If ASUS or ZOTAC would now pull out a passive 750, I would be forever their customer for GPU's. The passive GT640 has even more TDP and they both managed to make a card without known issues.