GeForce 8400 GS PCI Compatability

jbo5112

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
I just bought a PCI GeForce 8400 GS (G98) for my wife's computer, so she can get better video playback (and Intel is content to leave a fatal bug in their Linux graphics driver). The card runs just fine in my computer, which is only 2.5 years old and has v2.3 PCI slots. My wife's computer has v2.2 PCI slots and the screen goes blank after the POST. The card itself is from Sparkle, model# SF-PC84GS512U2LP, with passive cooling (http://www.sparkle.com.tw/product_detail.asp?id=86&sub_id=239).

The card doesn't have a real manual to tell me which PCI version it is, but I assume it SHOULD work, since it has the universal voltage keying. There was a printed quick install guide, a CD with a "manual.pdf" file that was just the quick install guide and a "TroubleShooting.pdf" guide that was really just a FAQ, and the website has a "manual" that is just a lengthier install guide for my PCIe or AGP card. The FAQ states that I just need a PCI v2.0+ slot, but they've proven themselves rather incompetent up until telling me that.

I'm assuming the card is PCI v2.3. Is there any reason why this shouldn't work in a v2.2 PCI slot? I'm afraid of trying to speak to their tech support, and I really want a good card for video playback in Linux. My options are PCI, which has some recent cards, and AGP, which doesn't have VDPAU support (PureVideo in Linux).

jbo5112

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
The thread would be more helpful if it were on PCI 2.2 and 2.3 instead of being on PCI 2.1 and 2.2. The slots in both of the computers are 5v slots, and the card keying shows it supports 3.3v and 5v.

Ok, here's a comparison
http://www.roalan.com/Report%20pci%202.3%20030206d1%20ro.pdf

And as wiki has put it, you'll need to check the specs of both the mobo and the card
#
# PCI 2.1, released on June 1, 1995, allows for 66 MHz signaling at 3.3 volt signal voltage (peak transfer rate of 533 MB/s), but at 33 MHz both 5 volt and 3.3 volt signal voltages are still allowed. It also added transaction latency limits to the specification.[7]
# PCI 2.2 Power rails to provide 3.3 volt supply voltage are now mandatory.[8]
# PCI 2.3 permits use of 3.3 volt and universal keying, but does not allow 5-volt keyed add-in cards.
# PCI 3.0 is the final official standard of the bus, completely removing 5-volt capability.