GeForce 8800 GTS 512 MB: A Christmas Miracle?

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
If you already have the 8800GT, for the price difference, it wouldnt be worth it. Most games from Tom's the GTS leads by 5~10FPS. But I have mine OC @ 700/1950 which I'm pretty sure cleans the margin up to just about no difference. I noticed in the end they OC the GTS quite a bit but they said @ stock speeds it was 85C during load. So OC'd I really wouldnt want to know how hot that thing gets, prob over 90C. Mine I did buy an Aftermarket Artic Cooling Accelero S2 for $17 +ship, at my OC'd settings it never goes over 70C.(I used rivatunes recording feature during intense action games) This is completely passive, no fans on it, just case cooling. In other words, I would still get the 8800GT.

Seems to me that the policy of introducing a midrange card to plug the gap that ATI were about to fill has backfired a bit.
They (Nvidia) havent had great sales due to avaliability and now will find it hard to sell the GTS cards as they are not that much better.
Some will get them just because: and some will buy for using at higher resolutions,I just cant help thinking that if they had stuck to the old way ie release top of range and release lower spec SKU's later it would have worked better for them.
Mactronix

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
The translation is quite good but at the beginning of the article you missed a few MOs. Apart from france there aren't many countries using Megaoctets instead of Megabytes.

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006

I guess the aim was to spoil the launch of the 3870 with the 8800GT. In doing so, they must have impeded sales of the 8800GTX.

But you are right - with the 8800GTS out now who on earth would buy a 8800GTX? They need to replace it fast.

Still, it's good for the consumers - the best card you can get is less than £200 again.

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006

I think you're being very generous - imo the translation wasn't great.

Sure I could work out what the article was saying, but it was clear to me right from the start that it had been translated into English from another language.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006

Valid point. I based my opinion on the fact that i could understand the article. Sure it's not Mark Twain but it conveyed all information that interested me in an understandable way. Translating an article isn't easy and i'm not too fond of the french language (great people though), so i'm willing to take it as what it is.

samir_nayanajaad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
"Sure it's not Mark Twain but..." Your kidding right? I would gladly read this article 100 times any day over trying to read Mark Twain.

I understand Mark Twain wrote in that style intentionally but, I'll be damned if I can understand half of it. I can understand Shakespeare plays in Old English better than Mark Twain.

rallyimprezive

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
I dont want to read reviews where I can just "get the basic idea" from the poorly edited text.

I think Im going to start going to a different website.

KekaiGenkai

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
You turds. I have a BA in english and had no complaints about the way this article reads. You can tell that "Crime and Punishement" is translated from a different language, but that doesn't mean it's a bad read.

Either way, it turns out that people will buy whatever new technology they can simply because it is new. The 3870's flew off of the shelves despite the obvious fact that the 8800 gt is a much better buy. I get the feeling that the g92 gts will be much the same. Most people won't care that the 8800gt is marginally worse and significantly cheaper and therefore much more cost effective.

S

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I didn't even know it was a translation. (But I was just looking for numbers.)

However, per the review's test results, the 8800GTX remains the faster card. (The results the author mentions in the conclusion as going to the GTS and vice versa are backwards from what the graphs show.)

kpo6969

Distinguished
May 6, 2007
My miracle was the 8800GT 512.
Because of system limitations, I can only use a single-slot card. An 8800 series was not possible until the 8800GT.
Put an aftermarket cooler on it, added a couple case exhaust fans, and couldn't be happier.
Will hold me until a new system purchase.
Best bang-for-the-buck solution for me.

HamRadio

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
(slightly off subject, forgive me)
No wonder you had no complaints about they way the article read. You have a BA in English, and you spell punishment "punishEment" ??? OMG. :lol:

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
I'd like to point out that from the drop down selection when it states "Crysis" and than the bar graphics say "Crysis", yet in the screen shot it states in the upper right hand corner, "Pre-Release Demo." Can it possibly be made clear if this is the demo or if this is in fact the retail version of the game?

David Civera

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007
Hello guys,

Being this article's translator and since I read that some of you thought it could be improved, I was just wondering what specific passages you had in mind so we can all share our views and I can basically do a better job next time :D

FYI -> JustinMcG67 Florian should tell me exactly what version of Crysis he's using... will let you know as soon as I have the answer.

JCCIII

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Words about NVIDIA and its 8800GT

Dear NVIDIA,

With great pains I write this e-mail, and yet, thank you for your past excellence. These days research has become frustrating for me as I try to put together a system based on SLI and am unable to find a suitable motherboard. If NVIDIA wants to make SLI unprofitable for leading edge manufacturers like ASUS and Intel, shouldn't then the corporation be ahead of new technology. It becomes a lesson in audacious arrogance projected toward NVIDIA while trying to find a motherboard suited for its very own 8800 GT. Unfortunately, AMD/ATI does not have enough wanted advancements, yet, for me to buy from them, so I must wait for NVIDIA to figure out how to make a motherboard for its own card. For me, this attitude that NVIDIA is responsible for has created resentment toward NVIDIA, itself, and I should not be the only consumer that feels this way.

Dear NVIDIA, please become more customer friendly or else lose profits. The only thing that the market had to provide me with to move away from NVIDIA was an AMD-Spider or similar platform with DDR3 and four lanes running PCIe 2.0, with a few PCI. And though I would not have been totally satisfied with my purchase, I would have comforted my discontentment with NVIDIA for tying up SLI, which now I currently am even more frustrated over because of having to wait, unnecessarily. Do not believe that within the human psyche these stimuli go unnoticed when making future purchases. AMD need only prove itself to be close to NVIDIA's performance in order to gather the loyalty of a cheated community of thoughtful enthusiasts.

Maybe there is a CEO that does not care about these matters because he or she has amassed a personal fortune. However and regretfully so, another company has allowed for the wrong move to be made, and people do not forget. I hope that in the future there will be no more hyper-capitalism from NVIDIA.

Sincerely,
Joseph

Pollux

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2007
Nvidia doesn't make motherboards.. just the chipset.. and Asus has listed the new 780 motherboard. If you want DDR3 wait until 790 in January.

If you want four lanes with 2.0 PCI-e and DDR3 look out for MSI and Gigabyte.

Pollux

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2007

The full retail versiondoesn't have the Pre-Release Demo on the corner. The reason they benchmarked with the demo is because, really, the retail version doesn't show any improvements on performance over the demo, so the full retail is not needed.

Florian Charpentier

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
As described in the previous roundup, we used the demo version for Crysis, as we hadn't all the graphic boards anymore and as we haven't measured significant differences between the performance in the demo and in the final game. We'll use the final game for the next articles.