GeForce 8800 GTX graphics card troubles

mandomank

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
Hi, my first post, so bear with me. I have an Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, with two 3.2 GHZ processors, and 3.9 GBs of RAM.
I had this system built for some games I wanted to play that were too fast for my other desktop. It ran really well with the GeForce 8800 GTX for a while, but then the system crashed. I don't know exactly why. However, when I reloaded, and tried to set the card back up with the latest drivers, it would no longer perform, causing wobbly yellowish lines across the screen. I'm running Win. XP Home 32 Bit. Finally the question.
I have no experience with these video cards, other than this GeForce card. How can I tell for sure if the card is still good? Also, what are some other video cards that would work well with this system? Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Solution

FINALLY, I got back on the forum. I'm sorry for the delay, but I've been trying to log in and answer these replies for the last two days, with no success until now.

The internal seems to be working okay with simple stuff, but I have been noticing that it struggles with things like shaders, and other effects in much more simple games than I originally bought it to play. I've got the newest Intel drivers/updates, as well as the newest BIOS update. Could something have happened to the MB when it crashed in the middle of "Star Wars: The Force Unleashed"? I didn't think that game was that big of a deal, but it...

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
try to use the onboard ans see if you have good video on the monitor dont forget to remove the geforce 8800 from the system for this test if you could test that geforce 8800 in another computer and for another gpu we will need to know your psu name and model .

mandomank

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
The CPUs are Intel Pentium Dual Core(R) 5800. I don't have another computer that can handle a graphics card of this type. Wish I did. I switched off the on-board graphics in the BIOS when the card was installed, but have switched the on-board back on when I removed it. I was trying to use the latest recommended driver from NVidia with the card, but though the system showed it installed, and running correctly, it definitely was not running correctly. Without the card, I have since downloaded and installed the latest Intel drivers recommended for this system.

mandomank

Distinguished
May 21, 2014

FINALLY, I got back on the forum. I'm sorry for the delay, but I've been trying to log in and answer these replies for the last two days, with no success until now.

The internal seems to be working okay with simple stuff, but I have been noticing that it struggles with things like shaders, and other effects in much more simple games than I originally bought it to play. I've got the newest Intel drivers/updates, as well as the newest BIOS update. Could something have happened to the MB when it crashed in the middle of "Star Wars: The Force Unleashed"? I didn't think that game was that big of a deal, but it just shut the whole system down in the middle of play. That was with the GeForce card installed. I have tried reinstalling it several times, changing this, or that in the BIOS (usually switching on or off the on-board Intel graphics), but I just can't get the card to work anymore. In fact, I can't even play simple 3D games to full effect anymore.

I would try the card out on another system, but I truly don't know anyone near me that has a system that could handle it. Maybe this one can't anymore, either. Which is why I asked how to detect the health of the card. Now I'm suspecting the health of the PC. Only one problem, nothing shows as malfunctioning, or damaged.

Here is a list of my Display settings, though I know you didn't ask for that.

Name Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_29C2&SUBSYS_82B01043&REV_10\3&11583659&0&10
Adapter Type Intel(R) GMA 3100, Intel Corporation compatible
Adapter Description Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family
Adapter RAM 384.00 MB (402,653,184 bytes)
Installed Drivers igxprd32.dll
Driver Version 6.14.10.5009
INF File oem11.inf (iBLB0 section)
Color Planes 1
Color Table Entries 4294967296
Resolution 1280 x 1024 x 75 hertz
Bits/Pixel 32
Memory Address 0xFEA80000-0xFEAFFFFF
I/O Port 0x0000DC00-0x0000DC07
Memory Address 0xE0000000-0xEFFFFFFF
Memory Address 0xFE900000-0xFE9FFFFF
IRQ Channel IRQ 16
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\igxpmp32.sys (6.14.10.5009, 5.98 MB (6,273,504 bytes), 5/6/2014 8:58 PM)

It shows no confilcts, and the same goes for every other system setting I've looked in to.

Solution

mandomank

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
Okay, here it comes.

System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10 GenuineIntel ~3199 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0702, 8/27/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume3
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 2.94 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 5.33 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

AUDIO
Name VIA High Definition Audio
Manufacturer VIA Technologies, Inc.
Status OK

SERIAL PORTS
Name Communications Port (COM1)
Status OK
PNP Device ID ACPI\PNP0501\1

PARALLEL PORTS
Name LPT1
PNP Device ID ACPI\PNP0401\4&2C575ACB&0
I/O Port 0x00000378-0x0000037F
I/O Port 0x00000778-0x0000077F
DMA Channel Channel 3

STORAGE DRIVES
Description Disk drive
Manufacturer (Standard disk drives)
Model SAMSUNG SP2504C
Bytes/Sector 512
Media Loaded Yes
Media Type Fixed hard disk media
Partitions 1
SCSI Bus 0
SCSI Logical Unit 0
SCSI Port 2
SCSI Target ID 0
Sectors/Track 63
Size 232.88 GB (250,056,737,280 bytes)
Total Cylinders 30,401
Total Sectors 488,392,065
Total Tracks 7,752,255
Tracks/Cylinder 255
Partition Disk #1, Partition #0
Partition Size 195.31 GB (209,711,706,624 bytes)
Partition Starting Offset 32,256 bytes

Description Disk drive
Model TEAC USB HS-CF Card USB Device
Bytes/Sector Not Available
Media Loaded No
Media Type Not Available
Partitions Not Available
SCSI Bus Not Available
SCSI Logical Unit Not Available
SCSI Port Not Available
SCSI Target ID Not Available
Sectors/Track Not Available
Size Not Available
Total Cylinders Not Available
Total Sectors Not Available
Total Tracks Not Available
Tracks/Cylinder Not Available

Description Disk drive
Model TEAC USB HS-MS Card USB Device
Media Loaded No
Media Type Not Available
Partitions Not Available
SCSI Bus Not Available
SCSI Port Not Available
Size Not Available

Description Disk drive
Model TEAC USB HS-SD Card USB Device
Media Loaded No
Media Type Not Available
Partitions Not Available
SCSI Bus Not Available
SCSI Port Not Available
Size Not Available

Description Disk drive
Model TEAC USB HS-xD/SM USB Device
Media Loaded No
Media Type Not Available
Partitions Not Available
SCSI Bus Not Available
SCSI Port Not Available
Size Not Available

IDE
Name Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 27DF
Manufacturer Intel
Status OK

Name Primary IDE Channel
Manufacturer (Standard IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers)
Status OK

Name Secondary IDE Channel
Status OK

Name Intel(R) 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C0
Manufacturer Intel
Status OK

Name Primary IDE Channel
Status OK

Name Secondary IDE Channel
Status OK

Is that what you wanted? There's a heck of a lot of info about these systems.

mandomank

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
I can't find a name on any part of the PSU that is showing. I'm afraid I might have to remove it to find the name, and that doesn't appeal to me. I'll do it if I have to. According the the power usage in the BIOS, I think it's at least 12 volts. 12.096, but I'm not sure if that is the actual voltage of the unit.

mandomank

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
It's a Thermaltake TR2-430W. It reads as follows:

Item # 731820
Manufacturer # S4420079
brand name Thermaltake
Certifications & Standards Safety:; FCC; UL; cUL; CSA; CE
Compatibility Intel; AMD
Input Current 9 A @ 110V; 5 A @ 220V
Input Voltage 230 V AC
Input Voltage Range 115 V AC to 230 V AC
manufacturer Thermaltake Technology Co., Ltd
number of fans 2
Output Power 430 W
Product Name TR2 430W AC Power Supply
Product Type ATX Power Supply
Receptacles 20-pin ATX Motherboard; 4-pin ATX12V; 2 x Serial ATA; 1 x 6-pin PCI-E
weight 5.73 lb

mandomank

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
Oh yeah, I didn't notice that. Thanks. I looked up the recommended cards to use with this MB, and I noticed that not only was the 8800 GTX on the list, but also the 9800 GTX. In fact, the 9800 was recommended over the 8800. Are there any others you would recommend? I sure appreciate your help with this.

mandomank

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
I even tried setting up the GeForce 8800 GTX again, but it's still a no go. What I don't get, though, is that when I boot up in Safe Mode, with all the drivers for the card installed, XP shows the card in Hardware Manager, in the Video sectioned, as installed and running correctly. That was one of the reasons I asked about checking whether the card is actually bad, or not. I know it took the guy who built the machine three complete reloads of XP, and therefore three complete installations of the 8800 before he got it running correctly. He was pissed that I crashed the machine after all the trouble he went through building it. I still don't have a clue what I did to crash it, though. Right in the middle of Star Wars The Force Unleashed 2, the screen started flickering, and then it went black, and the computer just locked. I couldn't boot it back up after that, so I reloaded. Man, what a pain.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
with the last details you give it could have something else broke in the system also usualy we dont need to install the os 3 time and the driver on a hdd to have it work in a system ,you could memtest the memory then use the hdd maker tool to test it also if you have another psu around try it so the last resort could be something with the motherboard .

mandomank

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
I didn't think that sounded right, either, but I'm no expert. If it's the MB, it will be a long time before I can afford to replace it. I'll check the PSU as you suggested, but I don't think it's that. I'll also run a memory check. Thanks.

mandomank

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
I purchased a GeForce 8400 GS from Amazon, simply because if it doesn't work, I can send it back (I've got a "Prime" account). From what I can tell, any of the 8 series cards from NVidia should work, right? I don't really know, but I got a good deal on this one, so I hope it works.