Geforce 9400 GT 1 gig overheating!!

solidpro9

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
ok today i was just here normal as i do everyday i noticed that the temp was 64 C and is normaly 54-60 C when i started up cod4 and played for about 10 mins then i looked at my temperature again its was 76 C!!!!! i opened the computer and touched it and it was hot!. now i restarted my computer and waited 10 mins and it was fine started off with 58C and now its 61C as im typing. any ideas wat happened?

Yeah, that card got stressed :D. Really though 76C isn't too hot for that GPU. If you're worried about it you can always put in a better aftermarket cooler. Of course such a cooler is probably worth more than the card itself ^_^. If you're card is passively cooled then you can probably just put a small case fan on it.

solidpro9

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
ill try that when my parents arent around lol. um if it did stop how would i be able ro make it work again. it started overheating when i downloaded speedfan and some other bs programs

mcnuggetofdeath

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
Rivatuner will allow you to force the fan to run at whatever speed you want, as well as overclock/underclock it. Try dusting it out too, ppl overlook the simple things sometimes. And for the record, 76*C is still hot, even if its within the thermal limits of the GPU, that creates ambient heat which is bad for its neighboring components. Ive got an overclocked 4850 (700MHz core/2.4GHz mem)with a special Zalman heatsink that idles at 36*C and hits 61*C under full load

solidpro9

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
ive tried rivatuner many times and it does not work for me it says something about a digitaly signed driver is needed or something.

solidpro9

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
well its the same thing. do u think a better psu will help? because the requirements are 350W and i think i have a 300W or 350W. and the temps still the same

They make 1 gig 9400gts?
lolz

Shouldnt be the PSU. Sometimes an errant cable can end up touching fan blades causing them to stop. Try uninstalling the "other bs programs" one of them may be the culprit. But your temps are still acceptable so I wouldn't worry about this too much.

jennyh

Splendid
If you've got heat issues in your pc, it's best to figure out why and fix them before buying new hardware.

The graphics card could be running hot for a variety of reasons. Some just run hotter than others, sometimes the fan needs cleaning (a 9400gt probably is fanless though?), sometimes you need better airflow into your case.

solidpro9

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
card looks pretty sweet great price and its a ddr3. but i do not have a credit hard and i cannot get it cause my parents wont let me use it. can i use a prepaid credit card?