GeForce DDR or GeForce 2 MX?

SirWalker

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2001
So, I've taken the point, and I'm buying a new graphics card to replace the TNT2 M64 graphics card I have currently.
So, now I have two options. I can either buy an older GeForce-based card with DDR RAM, or I can buy a brand new GeForce2 MX card. What is the better card?? Anyone have an opinion?

Thanks again ;)

The pure and simple truth
is rarely pure and never simple.

toonces

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you'll get better performance out of the ddr geforce than the mx. it'll run a little hotter and use more power though. i've got a leadtek geforce ddr and i'm very happy with it.

<font color=red>booyah, grandma, booyah..</font color=red>

mpjesse

Splendid
That depends on who your asking and what benchmarks. Most benchmarks show the GeForce 2 MX performing at or better than the GeForce DDR. I'd recommned the MX because it's highly overclockable. But, that's just my opinion. =)

-MP Jesse

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I also recommend the Geforce 2 MX. I've got the chance to try out a MSI816 and I was quite impressed, considering the price of it too.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

SirWalker

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2001
Thanks for your input!
To summarize, most of you recommend the GeForce 2 MX. If I add that I might get the GeForce DDR for about 2/3 of the price of the MX, is the MX still worth the price? Curious :)

G

Any review I've read shows the GeForce DDR performing about the same as the MMX until you go up to 1024x768. Then the DDR board clearly outperforms the MMX and the gap gets wider as the resolution increases. As a whole, the DDR is the faster card. I refer to non-overclocked cards.

Granted, I haven't read any reviews since I bought my DDR card several months ago, but I researched this thoroughly at the time.

Mike

toonces

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
really? could you point us in the direction of those benchmarks? i'd be really interested in seeing them. i'm sure others would like more info. on this topic too.

<font color=red>booyah, grandma, booyah..</font color=red>

SirWalker

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2001
This is actually one of the reasons why I posted the question in the first place. The nVidia Detonator 3 test here at Tom's Hardware actually shows the effect. It shows that the GeForce DDR outperforms the GeForce 2 MX in almost all the tests.

However, I guess there are some features in the MX that aren't present in the GeForce, which might show up when the game producers enhance the graphics support? Maybe I'm wrong... I guess only time will show.

G

Amen to the Geforce DDR. I have the guillemot 3dprophet DDR/DVI, since last feb. This card really kicks ass. I got it for a measely $260. I can't quote any benchmarks like the rest of these other guys though, I don't really care about comparing a 1st gen to a 2nd gen device.

In my recommendations, wait for the NV20 chipset to come out. Then the prices of the GTS2's and PRO's and ULTRA's will drop enormously, then you won't have to buy a stripped down GTS2 or an old DDR... But if you have to have one now, get the cheaper one (DDR). I don't know where you guys got your boards, mine runs cool (I WILL not oc this board until my next one).

-Raising the awareness of dumbasses everywhere...

G

When you refer to a Geforce 2 MX, do you mean the SDR version (most manufacturers) or the DDR version (Creative Labs)?

OwenW

G

Why do you ask?

-Raising the awareness of dumbasses everywhere...

mpjesse

Splendid
Tom Tom Tom!!! If tom jumped off a bridge- would you. If tom said that aliens are going to invade the moon tomorrow- would you believe him? Just kidding. I'll go find some benches for you RIGHT NOWW!!!!

-MP JEsse

mpjesse

Splendid
OK homie- here's a couple reviews. Now, remember that I said the GF2 MX performs AT or above the performance the GeForce DDR. Now, there is one thing I didn't put in there- overclocked. Overclock it a little bit and it's on par.

1.http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/elsageforce2mx/page 5.asp

2.http://www.xbitlabs.com/video/geforce2-mx.html

3.http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/reviews/video/GF2MX_Roundup_3.html

4.http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1316&p=6

In most cases your talking about a difference of about 3 frames per second- not overclocked. The big advantage of the GF2 MX is the fact that it overclocks soooo well. So, i'm going with my original recommendation to that one dude- The GeForce 2 MX is a better buy over the GeForce DDR- if you overclock. =)

-MP Jesse

jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
DDR. mainly because it performs as well if not better and right now is cheaper- anhialator pro on pricewatch is like 90 bucks.

HACK THE PLANET!!!

SirWalker

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2001
When I started the thread, I guess I was referring to the SRD version, but I know that Creative has launched a DDR version. I originally thought that the MX couldn't handle DDR RAM, but I guess I was mistaken ;)

SirWalker

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2001
Thanks all, for your help and advice!
I have now bought a new card, and the winner was.... GeForce DDR! Two reasons... first, because it was cheaper (paid $70 + a TNT2 M64 card), and second because the difference wasn't that big in performance.

Oh, and one more reason... my wife wouldn't let me spend the $50 extra for a GeForce 2 MX DDR from Creative, so after the discussion with her, it turned out there was one and only one option... and hardly that!

Happy CPU-ing!

G

While the DDR GTS are much faster than SDR, the ddr mx's are slower than the sdr. This is because of the crippling 64 bit interface they use. Why do they use it? To compensate for the cost of the faster memory. And to keep the performance level down, it is after all, supposed to be a budget card.

Tom Mc

Even a fool, when he remains silent, appears wise.

G

Oh, hey, I was just about to answer your other question when I noticed that you just posted. I think you made the right choice. The card is great, and it keeps the 'boss' happy. A perfect solution.

By the way, she won't let you spend some extra money, but she lets you stay up this late at night? Oh well, most wouldn't let you get away with either!

Tom Mc

SirWalker

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2001
Thanks, glad I'm able to do something right ;)
Actually, since I live in Norway, it's 11 in the morning here. So my wife isn't too upset about that, hehe.
Besides, she doesn't matter if I'm up late, but I hate myself in the morning when my son wakes me up... so I've learned better habits!

Thanks for your time ;)

G

Ah... That explains it.

At the moment I find myself wishing that I lived somewhere where it wasn't 3 o'clock in the morning!

Have a nice night. Or afternoon. Or whatever you're having right now.

Tom Mc

SirWalker

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2001
hehe
Even in Norway, the clock is sometimes 3 in the morning, so I guess moving here wouldn't help you ;)

Same to you (probably morning when you read this?)

Jon