GeForce Experience Beta Updated With New Features To Get Streamers Excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

If the driver file becomes unavailable by itself as a direct download from nvidia, there are other sites that'll simply repackage it. I heard nvidia might be moving to that setup where GE is mandatory to get the driver from nvidia, or was at least considering it. That sort of thing would probably cause a pretty loud uproar though.

I only use GE for managing the quality of and what directory file I upload my in-game video capturing to. But it is nice to have screenshot capability since I have to run MSI AB for that as I play Steam, Origin and GOG games. I play games just fine without it even being on and ignore any update icon notifications as necessary. But I do update GeForce drivers through that portal just for convenience (read: clean install).

Haven't had any complaints in the nearly three years and multiple video card upgrades using it. I was skeptical at first about it but it has grown on me and not as obtrusive as I had originally thought. Also, I don't always update to the latest GeForce drivers because I don't like risking jacking something up. Usually I wait before upgrading after reports from others with similar hardware to mine come in.

rtware923

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Geforce experience is forced. you can get drivers direct from the web however in the installers it auto installs Geforce Experience. I dont think I missed a checkbox but it is possible.

Geforce experience is forced. you can get drivers direct from the web however in the installers it auto installs Geforce Experience. I dont think I missed a checkbox but it is possible.

It's definitely not forced. You have the usual install options as with most software. The automatic or custom install options where you can ignore GE completely. Here's the thing. Nvidia assumes by your purchase and installation of their hardware and software, that you want to use all of the features available to the card. This is why the default settings are set up the way they are. It makes more sense that the purchaser have to dig a little deeper to disable something rather than the other way around.

It's not necessary to use GE. I didn't use to it because I had nothing but problems initially. It's come a long way. I like the shadowplay feature and a quick way to grab the latest drivers. I never do a completely clean install unless there's an actual issue. A clean install removes custom game settings and probably wipes any shader cache as well.

For perspective, the driver package as a whole has more lines of code than the Windows operating system. It's a pretty ambitious effort, and necessary if you plan to use the Shield device.

So what if GE is forced to get drivers?

For drivers you can:
- automate update
- notify only
- do nothing

Don't want to update a new driver because it might screw something up? Not a problem.

If you don't want to use the program for other features then it's not in your way. So why the hate?

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
The Geforce experience feels forced, i just want drivers no more, no less.

why would you even bring that up? if you want to use it, download it.. if you dont like what it offers, then don't

They are giving you a pretty enticing reason to use it tho.

Tykkopoles

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
I just wish they'd fix that annoying permissions bug where it pops up prompting to insert a smartcard unless you manually launch it as admin.

Oh, and the part where myself and several others I talk to have issues with installing Game Ready drivers... like every time. Install > Fail > Reboot > Install > Fail > Reboot > Install > Success. Every bloody time there is a driver update. Last time I had to uninstall everything nVidia from my system and reinstall it from scratch. Really annoying.

d0zer

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
GE was buggy as hell for a long time. The dev's have been hard at work and I have to say that it is not just a "keep my drivers up-to-date" program but turning into a really cool tool. Early on GE was the cause of many graphic issues, especially on driver updates. I was forced to completely wipe all NVidia software from my machine then re-install with the latest to get things going correctly again. Kudos to NVidia on continuous updates.

Regarding clean installs, you should ALWAYS clean install drivers. It is a DRIVER, not a program. If you do not, you run the risk of potential issues. The only thing I wish was added would be the ability to backup the individual game profiles from the NVidia control panel under Manage 3D settings. There has always been an option to Restore defaults but having the ability to back that up locally or to your GE account on a game by game basis would be great. That way, a clean install would replace the drivers correctly and a simple "settings" restore of games would put all of it back. This would save quite a bit of time on the reloading of drivers. But if the only "issue", which is more of a hindrance, is for me to re-tweak my games profiles, I'm good with that. I wouldn't complain too much about NVidia drivers. If you think they are bad, switch over to Radeon and give those a shot...

That's exactly why my last AMD GPU was a 4870. I got fed up with Catalyst issues and the tipping point was poor quality and performance in Flight Simulator X. Sold it and bought a GTX 275 and never looked back being Green.

sylentz199

Reputable
Nov 18, 2015
I just wish they'd fix that annoying permissions bug where it pops up prompting to insert a smartcard unless you manually launch it as admin.

Oh, and the part where myself and several others I talk to have issues with installing Game Ready drivers... like every time. Install > Fail > Reboot > Install > Fail > Reboot > Install > Success. Every bloody time there is a driver update. Last time I had to uninstall everything nVidia from my system and reinstall it from scratch. Really annoying.

Learn how UAC works...it fails because you disabled it and aren't manually selecting "Run As Admin". I have had zero issues with GE or Drivers since March when I started running Win10 Tech Preview. There were legit issues with drivers prior to march but i picked up the first Slow Ring builid and ran it and upgraded in place over 4 times before i decided to clean install. Win Update pushes the plain drivers without GE so you can go that route.

sylentz199

Reputable
Nov 18, 2015

Learn how UAC works...it fails because you disabled it and aren't manually selecting "Run As Admin". I have had zero issues with GE or Drivers since March when I started running Win10 Tech Preview. There were legit issues with drivers prior to march but i picked up the first Slow Ring builid and ran it and upgraded in place over 4 times before i decided to clean install. Win Update pushes the plain drivers without GE so you can go that route.

You left just before they fixed the major issues plaguing AMD/ATI drivers after the 5xxx series was out for almost a year Frankly I would place AMD drivers on par with NV at this point.

What do you mean?
Of course it runs when playing a game. How else do you record gameplay?

Tykkopoles

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015

My UAC is enabled and works just fine, except with GFE. Hell, after the problem started, I even tagged the shortcut to run with elevated perms. GeForce also worked fine until it's most recent update not long ago. Before that, I had occasionally issues with driver updates, but nothing of note.

Now, before you go on giving tech tips, you should probably try asking some questions first rather than preaching. A lot of people have issues with drivers from all different sorts of vendors. The fact that your machine specifically has no issues does not mean that 100% of the problems encountered are user error or the end machine. This is especially true when Microsoft Office 2010 had a similar such permissions issue as GeForce does now with defaulting to access SCardSvr for elevation requests, hence the prompt for a smartcard that I am experiencing. It is a problem with the GeForce software, but is not experienced by many because not many people use SCRs.

And after seeing how Windows 10 handles third-party driver updates on the back end, trust me when I say you should never leave anything outside of Windows in the hands of Windows Update.

Status
Not open for further replies.