Geforce FX5700 Ultra good enough for actual games?

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Hi,

I am going to build a new system based on a Shuttle Barebone with an Athlon
64.
Because I want to run Linux, ATI cards are out of discussion here. My focus
is a Geforce FX5700 Ultra card.
I want to play some games like Enemy Territory and Doom III if it is
available, but
highest resolutions are not necessary - 1024x768 at maximum.
Can you recommend this card? Does it need more power than the non-Ultra
versions?
Unfortunately I did not get detailed information about the power consumpton
of different
video cards. This could be important because a barebone system does not have
such big
power supply .. thanks.
Martin
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Martin Erdtmann" <martin.erdtmann@gmx.de> wrote in message
news:c6ajmv$ebu$1@news1.wdf.sap-ag.de...
> Hi,
>
> I am going to build a new system based on a Shuttle Barebone with an
Athlon
> 64.
> Because I want to run Linux, ATI cards are out of discussion here. My
focus
> is a Geforce FX5700 Ultra card.
> I want to play some games like Enemy Territory and Doom III if it is
> available, but
> highest resolutions are not necessary - 1024x768 at maximum.
> Can you recommend this card? Does it need more power than the non-Ultra
> versions?
> Unfortunately I did not get detailed information about the power
consumpton
> of different
> video cards. This could be important because a barebone system does not
have
> such big
> power supply .. thanks.
> Martin

I have a non-ultra version and I find it great, of course, I don't have many
shader-heavy DX9 games. It only barely breaks 3500 3DMark03's.

An Ultra should be considerably faster (I got a big improvement from
overclocking my memory, not so much from overclocking the GPU).

Mine surely uses less power than an ultra as it doesn't even require a molex
connector and I run my whole system (including Pentium 4 3.0 GHz, 2x7200 RPM
HDs and a DVD-ROM drive) on 250 Watts with power to spare.

5900s should drop once in price the 6800 is out... maybe you should wait for
that.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Darkfalz" <darkfalz@xis.com.au> wrote in message
news:c6aqto$94k86$2@ID-108208.news.uni-berlin.de...
>
> 5900s should drop once in price the 6800 is out... maybe you should wait
for
> that.
>
Ohh, good, thanks for your reply. I also looked for some 5900s but the
problem is, that
they are double sized most of the time. The Shuttle XPC Barebone will not
have enough
space for it.
thanks
Martin
 

norm

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2004
319
0
18,780
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

I'm real happy with my FX5700 ultra "golden sample"
http://www.gainwardusa.com/products/vga_960dt.htm

"Martin Erdtmann" <martin.erdtmann@gmx.de> wrote in message
news:c6ajmv$ebu$1@news1.wdf.sap-ag.de...
> Hi,
>
> I am going to build a new system based on a Shuttle Barebone with an
Athlon
> 64.
> Because I want to run Linux, ATI cards are out of discussion here. My
focus
> is a Geforce FX5700 Ultra card.
> I want to play some games like Enemy Territory and Doom III if it is
> available, but
> highest resolutions are not necessary - 1024x768 at maximum.
> Can you recommend this card? Does it need more power than the non-Ultra
> versions?
> Unfortunately I did not get detailed information about the power
consumpton
> of different
> video cards. This could be important because a barebone system does not
have
> such big
> power supply .. thanks.
> Martin
>
>
 

Ryan

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
551
0
18,980
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Martin Erdtmann wrote:
> "Darkfalz" <darkfalz@xis.com.au> wrote in message
> news:c6aqto$94k86$2@ID-108208.news.uni-berlin.de...
>
>>5900s should drop once in price the 6800 is out... maybe you should wait
>
> for
>
>>that.
>>
>
> Ohh, good, thanks for your reply. I also looked for some 5900s but the
> problem is, that
> they are double sized most of the time. The Shuttle XPC Barebone will not
> have enough
> space for it.
> thanks
> Martin
>
>
i have the 5700 ultra.....and all i can say is wow. it is sort of a
power hog but it is sure better than the 9800Xt and the nVidia drivers
are the greatest. yeah the 5700 ultra is for you
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Ryan" <ryan5001sk8@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:QMfic.14812$eK3.10174@nwrdny01.gnilink.net...
> Martin Erdtmann wrote:
> > "Darkfalz" <darkfalz@xis.com.au> wrote in message
> > news:c6aqto$94k86$2@ID-108208.news.uni-berlin.de...
> >
> >>5900s should drop once in price the 6800 is out... maybe you should wait
> >
> > for
> >
> >>that.
> >>
> >
> > Ohh, good, thanks for your reply. I also looked for some 5900s but the
> > problem is, that
> > they are double sized most of the time. The Shuttle XPC Barebone will
not
> > have enough
> > space for it.
> > thanks
> > Martin
> >
> >
> i have the 5700 ultra.....and all i can say is wow. it is sort of a
> power hog but it is sure better than the 9800Xt and the nVidia drivers
> are the greatest. yeah the 5700 ultra is for you

You're a complete tool if you believe for one moment that the 5700 ultra is
better than the 9800XT - the 9800XT annihilates the 5700's and even the
5900's - you're feeding him false information. As for the drivers, i've had
no problems with the ATi drivers - they're also far more configurable than
the nVidia drivers as far as i can see.

Still, the 5700 is a nice card - but NOT A PATCH on the 9800XT.
 

Ryan

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
551
0
18,980
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Kai Robinson wrote:
> "Ryan" <ryan5001sk8@verizon.net> wrote in message
> news:QMfic.14812$eK3.10174@nwrdny01.gnilink.net...
>
>>Martin Erdtmann wrote:
>>
>>>"Darkfalz" <darkfalz@xis.com.au> wrote in message
>>>news:c6aqto$94k86$2@ID-108208.news.uni-berlin.de...
>>>
>>>
>>>>5900s should drop once in price the 6800 is out... maybe you should wait
>>>
>>>for
>>>
>>>
>>>>that.
>>>>
>>>
>>>Ohh, good, thanks for your reply. I also looked for some 5900s but the
>>>problem is, that
>>>they are double sized most of the time. The Shuttle XPC Barebone will
>
> not
>
>>>have enough
>>>space for it.
>>>thanks
>>>Martin
>>>
>>>
>>
>>i have the 5700 ultra.....and all i can say is wow. it is sort of a
>>power hog but it is sure better than the 9800Xt and the nVidia drivers
>>are the greatest. yeah the 5700 ultra is for you
>
>
> You're a complete tool if you believe for one moment that the 5700 ultra is
> better than the 9800XT - the 9800XT annihilates the 5700's and even the
> 5900's - you're feeding him false information. As for the drivers, i've had
> no problems with the ATi drivers - they're also far more configurable than
> the nVidia drivers as far as i can see.
>
> Still, the 5700 is a nice card - but NOT A PATCH on the 9800XT.
>
>
i ment 9600XT
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Ryan" <ryan5001sk8@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:J7gic.29066$635.8929@nwrdny03.gnilink.net...

> >
> i ment 9600XT

9600XT and FX5700 Ultra are about the same. One scores better then the other
in some tests, and vice versa. Good overlclocking potential on the 5700
Ultra though.

I've had it at 535/1000 myself.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Get a 5900 XT instead of a 5700U. They are virtually the same
price, and the 5900xt runs rings around the 5700u,
plus the 5900xt is available everywhere. I can't understand
how any retailer is selling any 5700us at all.



Jeff B
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

jeff b <fakeaddy@fjyfj.com> wrote in message news:<vdkic.14368$IW1.871527@attbi_s52>...
> Get a 5900 XT instead of a 5700U. They are virtually the same
> price, and the 5900xt runs rings around the 5700u,
> plus the 5900xt is available everywhere. I can't understand
> how any retailer is selling any 5700us at all.
>
>
>
> Jeff B

And the 5900XT overclocks like hell to :p

A damn powerfull chipset it is indeed...
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 10:19:06 +0200, "Martin Erdtmann" <martin.erdtmann@gmx.de>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am going to build a new system based on a Shuttle Barebone with an Athlon
>64.
>Because I want to run Linux, ATI cards are out of discussion here. My focus
>is a Geforce FX5700 Ultra card.
>I want to play some games like Enemy Territory and Doom III if it is
>available, but
>highest resolutions are not necessary - 1024x768 at maximum.
>Can you recommend this card? Does it need more power than the non-Ultra
>versions?
>Unfortunately I did not get detailed information about the power consumpton
>of different
>video cards. This could be important because a barebone system does not have
>such big
>power supply .. thanks.
>Martin
>



Go for a FX9600XT cheaper and 10 times better.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)