execute09

Prominent
Mar 18, 2019
Hello everyone,

I'm pretty much a newbie in terms of pc stuff, and I happen to have an old system (Intel Pentium Dual-Core E2220 2 Core 2.40GHz) laying around our house and it didn't have a graphics card on it. I was wondering if I could upgrade this pc by adding this gpu (GeForce GT 710 1GB GDRR5 32-bit) that costs about $45 and perhaps I could "game" on it, not really intensive pretty much games like League of Legends, CSGO, etc. Will it work just fine or will the cpu cut down the gpu's performance? I don't really know much about cpu/gpu bottlenecks so any opinion/help is greatly appreciated.

Solution
Hello everyone,

I'm pretty much a newbie in terms of pc stuff, and I happen to have an old system (Intel Pentium Dual-Core E2220 2 Core 2.40GHz) laying around our house and it didn't have a graphics card on it. I was wondering if I could upgrade this pc by adding this gpu (GeForce GT 710 1GB GDRR5 32-bit) that costs about $45 and perhaps I could "game" on it, not really intensive pretty much games like League of Legends, CSGO, etc. Will it work just fine or will the cpu cut down the gpu's performance? I don't really know much about cpu/gpu bottlenecks so any opinion/help is greatly appreciated.
First of all, the GT 710 isn't made for that and will not really be able to run most games well at all. Second, the E2220 is not a very...

Zephyl

Commendable
Mar 13, 2017
Hello everyone,

First of all, the GT 710 isn't made for that and will not really be able to run most games well at all. Second, the E2220 is not a very well-performing CPU, either. If you want that thing to run CS:GO you'll probably want to see if the motherboard can support a Core2 Quad (something like a Q9400 or even a Q9650) in order to play CS:GO, as that game is more CPU-dependent than most. You'll need a better GPU than a GT 710, too... maybe something like a GT 1030 or even a GTX 1050 if that's within your budget. GT 710s, again, are not made for gaming.

Solution

execute09

Prominent
Mar 18, 2019
Thanks for the response. Yes, after a bunch of researching I realized GT 710 is a complete dog crap. Why did that gpu even exist?! Well I guess for now I’m not touching that pc cuz I don’t really have to since I have laptop that can run games just fine. Again, I appreciate the answer. Have a good one :D

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Thanks for the response. Yes, after a bunch of researching I realized GT 710 is a complete dog crap. Why did that gpu even exist?! Well I guess for now I’m not touching that pc cuz I don’t really have to since I have laptop that can run games just fine. Again, I appreciate the answer. Have a good one :D

Its basically made for people who need basic gpu functions, like video decoding, very lightweight games etc.

Depending on your PSU, you could get a cheap used card like a gtx 660, which can play CS go and LoL quite well on your system.

execute09

Prominent
Mar 18, 2019
Maybe one day I'll reconsider on upgrading that system and get one of those cards you recommended but for now I don't really feel the need to put that pc in use. Cheers!