Question Geforce GT 710 with Dell Optiplex 755 DT issue

Aug 5, 2019
Having problems getting the 710 to work properly. Youtube videos are lagging and slowing down and the sound is bad, almost like bottlenecking? I wonder what's wrong? Rest of the hardware:

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3.00GHz
RAM: 8,00Gt Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz (6-6-6-18)

When I'm using Radeon HD 6450, I can play 1440p Youtube smoothly.

Aug 5, 2019
Only thing which comes to mind is whether you performed a clean installation of the graphics driver using DDU.

I'm sure others can think of other possibilities.

Thank you for your quick reply. And yes, I did use DDU. Also using the latest bios for this system and the 710 is brand new store bought a few months ago.

Aug 5, 2019
So yeah. Tested the 710 in other more powerful system and it works 100%. Also, the original system where I have problems with this card is a bit weird. If I don't install the nvidia drivers at all, I can play 1440p youtube in lower resolution, no stutter. The minute I install the latest nvidia drivers, it starts to stutter again. If I try lower resolution than 1080p with the drivers installed, it stutters. What is going on?

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019
Is it Windows 10? If so, my q6600 is running really bad on Windows 10. Go to task manager and see If the processor is near 100%. Maybe Windows 10 is too much for it.

Yup I'm on Win10 Pro. With Q9650 and Radeon HD 6450 I get 80-90% core usage with 1440p youtube video, but it doesn't struggle or stutter at all. With GT710 it's pretty much instant 100% usage and stuttering video and sound. And it's not overheating either. Really starting to lose hope here :(

Aug 5, 2019
With the browser side of things, have you looked at the hardware accelerated option? See if that makes any difference to video playback.

Tried that, no difference in performance at all. Also disabled the SERR message system in Dell bios, nothing. Also tried a bunch of older drivers from 2015-2016, nothing. What else there is left to try? :D Or do I just have to accept the fact that this card is never going to work in my Optiplex?

I'm out of ideas. It does sound like a driver related issue, but seems so hit-and-miss as to whether you can find the right driver which resolves the issue.

Incidentally, is there a reason the HD 6450 can't be used? Asking because it sounded like it works well for the system.

Aug 5, 2019
I'm out of ideas. It does sound like a driver related issue, but seems so hit-and-miss as to whether you can find the right driver which resolves the issue.

Incidentally, is there a reason the HD 6450 can't be used? Asking because it sounded like it works well for the system.

Yes the 6450 works perfectly, I'm fine with it. BUT I just got curious what's wrong with the GT710...

Aug 5, 2019
Aug 5, 2019
https://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk#

Choose the relevant options from the dropdown boxes. With the 'download type' option there's a choice between 'game ready' and 'studio' driver. Usually we'd use the game ready driver, but in your case perhaps the studio driver is worth a try.

"No certified downloads were found for this configuration." No studio driver for the 710. Also tried that "DCH" (Declarative, Componentized, Hardware Support Apps) refers to new packages preinstalled by OEMS implementing the Microsoft Universal Driver paradigm driver, but nope. Doesn't work either.