Geforce GT440 DDR5

mace129

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
I recently had my geforce 9800gtx+ crap out on me so i went out today to get a new one. i wanted to spend less than 90 dollars so i ended up finding the geforce gt430.

the guy at frys said it would run grand theft auto iv at medium settings and should run the witcher 2 at 30fps on low. the gt430 didn't even run obivion on max. this really upset me so i went back to frys adn returned it and this time asked for a supervisor in the video card section to help me decide.

the different guy this time seemed alot more knowledgable and ended up hooking me up with the gt440 ddr5 1gig. he said i should have absolutely no problem running my games with it and could even clock it for more power or something.

i put it in when i got home and it just barely runs the witcher 2 at 18 fps. i was wondering if there is somethign conflicting with the card and thats why it sucks so much. i've updated all of the drivers and i'm sure my computers meets the requirements for the card in every regard. i just can't understand how my 3 and a half year old card ran these games so much better than the new card does and they were ddr3.

i also don't understand how my card was like 95 bucks and i'm finding cards on newegg that from feedback can actually run the games i have at max settings that are not only like 30-40 dollars cheaper but really old cards like, 2 year old models. what bothers me the most is the windows experience score for the card is 6.7 and my old card got a 6.4 on there but somehow ran the games much better.

summary: bought a geforce gt 440 1gig ddr5 and it barely runs teh witcher 2 at max settings. is there a way to clock it to get more out of it or is there something in my system conflicting with it? or even more, is it just a really terrible card? any help i would be tremendously grateful for. if you need me to run diagnostics or whatever to get a better understanding of my system i will (but i don't know how). in the mean time here are the basics of my computer:

m4a785-m asus motherboard, 480 watt power supply, 4 gigs of ddr2, and a 3.2 ghz intel core duo.

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Your old card WAS better, it's like comparing a 2002 Jaguar to a 2012 ford fiesta and thinking the fiesta is better because it is newer. For 90 bucks your best bet at a replacement that actually would be an upgrade is a used card, nothing below a GT 450 or an HD 5770 is going to be as good as what you had and those cards are over 90 bucks unless you get the mail in rebates.

mace129

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
the only reason i thoguht this graphics card might be on par with my old one is because of the people at frys. i told the guy what i had before and he said this card would out perform it in every regard because it was ddr5 and not ddr3. he really led me to believe that the type of memory associated with the card was the most important aspect in regards to the quality of the card.

would that series card be worth it for the framerate i'd get compared to my old card/the price of it?

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
That card from craigslist is crap, if it is brand new and has a warranty it might be worth 30 bucks as a basic card, but you wont be playing any games on it. the 8000 series is older than the 9000 cards, and the 3rd digit indicates the performance level for the series, only the 200, 400 and 500 series cards are going to be better than what you had, and not that many of them.