Geforce GTX 1060 3GB keeps crashing - please help!

Jun 23, 2018
Hi! So I've been running this setup for a while now. And just recently my GPU has started crashing while playing the same games I was able to play with high graphics a while back (Overwatch, Battlefield 1). Game either crashes without any notification, crashes with "DirectX ran out of memory" or GPU just crashes completely where I have to shut down the computer via the power button.

I've been tracking my GPU with MSi Afterburner and temperatures are normal, under 70 and what I find odd is that "Memory Usage" never goes near 3000MB when the crash happens.

I don't understand what is wrong since when I bought this setup I was able to play both BF1 and OW with high graphics no problem, now I cant even get into game and they crash.

Specs:
Intel Core i5-7500 3,4 GHz
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Asus GeForce GTX 1060 DUAL-OC 3072 MB
MSI B250M Mortar
Corsair VS650, 650W
Corsair 8GB (2x4GB), Vengeance LPX, DDR4 2400 MHz
Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD
Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250 Gt 2,5" SATA3 SSD

May 12, 2018

Are you using windows 7 or 10?

IF on win7.
Start
Control panel
System
On the left hand side Advanced system settings.
Make sure you are on the advanced tab in the pop up window.
Under performance click settings.
Click the advanced tab.
At the middle bottom Virtual memory, click change.
At the top place click on or place a check mark in the box for. "Let windows manage page file for all drives.
Exit out of all windows and reboot.

Jun 23, 2018
I am using windows 10, so that does not help sho2342, thanks though. :)

camieabz, I am not that good with this stuff so how do i exactly stress test and what does that tell me?

nishaburiy

Reputable
Mar 24, 2018
try to use a benchmarking tool like MSI kombustor to stress the GPU to see what happens, if it does crash its probably something wrong with your hardware or driver. if not again try updating/changing the drive and see what happens!

Jun 23, 2018

I'm not that familiar with this stuff, really a noob to be honest. I downloaded the MSI kombustor but I don't know what tests I should run and what do the results tell me. Could you enlighten me a bit? :)
Also I have the latest drivers from Nvidia so I don't think it is from that.

Seems like it keeps crashing due to shortage of VRAM when running games but I think 3GB should be enough for these games and I used to be able to play them without any problems. The fact that Afterburner does not even show a high peak when the game crashes due to VRAM shortage is odd to me. Don't know if that tells you anything.

Jun 23, 2018

Yeah, so I ran pretty much every test the Kombustor had and got no issues, no crashes. Everything worker normally. I honestly don't know what could be the problem since I was able to run these games no problem with high graphs when i bought this setup.

Jun 23, 2018

Oh wow, did that a second time now and restarted computer and BF1 works! Thank you so much!

Thanks also to everyone else in this thread for your time and efforts.
Problem solved! :)

TRENDING THREADS