Question GeForce GTX 1060 and Directx 9c on Windows XP SP3. Is it possbile to make them get along?

May 12, 2020
So, here is th deal:

with nothing better to do during this quarantine, I found some old pc games and thought it would be a good idea to format a computer I had to install Windows XP on it, since these games don't work on modern operating systems. And what a joy was to hear that distinct sound of the XP welcome screen once again! Plus I had Space Cadet (the native pinball game, for the younger of you) back! But to run more elaborate games I needed to get DirectX working, for the 3D acceleration.

Specs:

GA-H61M-S1,
Intel Core I5 2310,
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060.

Now, I understand there is no official support for this GPU for Windows XP. I did, however, manage to install the Nvidia DisplayDriver by adding the GPU model to the nvic file of the installer. But DirectX (version 9c, the latest supported by winXP) still shows the Direct3D as unavailable.

Is there any way I can get that GPU to work properly in Windows XP? I know it won't have all its capabilities available, nor do i need it to. Probably would have to trick the system into thinking it's an older model or something, right? The GPU is working fine for 2D graphics, no lags or other problems. But when it comes to 3D graphics, the programs won't even start. Can you please help me shed a light on this subject? Or even suggest an alternative way to run programs designed for WinXP in current systems (linux ou windows)?
Thanks in advance!

Wilcal

Reputable
Mar 29, 2020
Crickets.... I will be having a similar dilemma soon. Currently have a an lga 775 intel board and was running dual boot W10 and XP- Xp was there to play old W98SE era games on legacy hardware that needs a sound card with game port. PSU (we think) took out the PCIe GPU slot and the Card. Now working on moving to a newer Mboard LGA 1155. Have not researched what i can run that will have XP SP3 drivers but was hoping the 1050ti aero would work...I have been advised that a GTX750 ti 2gb should work though.

Reactions: lspaschoal
May 12, 2020
VirtualBox 6.0.X has video card emulation of a GeForce 6800 on Windows XP guests with the Guest Additions installed. So you could give that a try. This was removed in 6.1.X however due to security concerns or something.
Thank you. I'll give it a go when I format that pc again. I ended up going with win7

Wilcal

Reputable
Mar 29, 2020
I found this approximately 4 yr old post on a different forum...
"The newest GPU's with Windows XP Support is the GTX 950 and GTX 960. The rest of the 900 Series (and the entire 1000 series) have no Windows XP support. All older generations of GPU's (except for GTX 690) still have support for Windows XP (for now). So the most powerful GPU you can get for Windows XP would be the Titan Z (which is pretty close to the Titan X in performance). And then you have the GTX Titan Black/GTX 780ti, which has the same performance as a GTX 970. All in all, if you really need Windows XP, you can get Titan X-like performance with a Titan Z (and Titan X is not far behind GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 in performance). Or you can go a little lower, and get GTX 970-like performance with the Titan Black/GTX 780ti (2-Way Sli is supported in Windows XP, so you could get two of these for more performance). "
Also found this page that appears to have link to XP drivers....

Last edited:
Reactions: hotaru.hino

Wilcal

Reputable
Mar 29, 2020
VirtualBox 6.0.X has video card emulation of a GeForce 6800 on Windows XP guests with the Guest Additions installed. So you could give that a try. This was removed in 6.1.X however due to security concerns or something.
The problem for a person wanting to play XP era games in emulaton or VM is the use of legacy hardware game controllers that need a sound card with a gameport that is live in XP. In my dual boot W10/XP system i have a sound card that has the drivers for both and when i load XP the gameport is live! I do not believe that will happen running in emulation/VM.