[SOLVED] Geforce GTX 1070 Founders Edition - Artifacts appear after installing latest driver

TechCreator360

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
A few months ago I was using my GTX 1070 as always playing some games (Note: I was playing with a very slight overclock)
then I got a driver update notification, I went into Geforce Experience and downloaded the driver. After the download completed I installed the drivers using the custom option that is available everything that was need to install the driver was checked and I ensured I clicked the Perform Clean Installation box to make sure the overclocks and game profiles I had set didn't stick. Everything seemed to go normally the driver installed and no artifacts were present during that time. Now I went to bed a few hours later and shut down my PC. I got up the next morning to use my computer, everything powered correctly then as soon as it booted into windows and loaded the driver I had these very strange lines on my computer screen they were red lines that appeared horizontally and vertically. I am almost 100% positive its a driver because it didn't occur when there was no NVIDIA driver installed, it didn't occur when the Microsoft Basic Adapter was installed. It only occurred when I installed the latest NVIDIA driver. I used DDU to uninstall all traces of previous drivers and booted back in from safe mode whilst no driver was installed and the lines were gone. If anyone can help it would be a big thanks. Thank you again!

Solution
What are your FULL PC specs ? Which PSU are you using ? Try to reseat the GPU firmly on the PCI-E slot of your motherboard. Can you post a screenshot of these artifacts ?

Artifacts are mostly cause due to a faulty GPU, VRAM corruption, though there are few other causes as well. RMA the card, assuming it is indeed faulty/dead. Does your MOBO has support for onboard/integrated graphics ?

If yes, then are the artifacts still visible on the screen, if you boot the system via the iGPU ?
What are your FULL PC specs ? Which PSU are you using ? Try to reseat the GPU firmly on the PCI-E slot of your motherboard. Can you post a screenshot of these artifacts ?

Artifacts are mostly cause due to a faulty GPU, VRAM corruption, though there are few other causes as well. RMA the card, assuming it is indeed faulty/dead. Does your MOBO has support for onboard/integrated graphics ?

If yes, then are the artifacts still visible on the screen, if you boot the system via the iGPU ?

Last edited:
Solution

TechCreator360

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
My Full PC Specs:
CPU: Intel i7-7700k
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070
PSU: Corsair RM750x
MOBO: MSI Z270 Tomahawk
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro

On a side I cannot RMA this GPU as I bought it the year of its launch. I also wouldn't think it would be fault VRAM or a GPU as it was working 100% as it is supposed to prior to the driver install.

Okay, specs are pretty Good. No worries here. Did you try booting via the onboard/integrated graphics ? If yes, then are the artifacts still visible on the screen, if you boot the system via the iGPU ?

Check the Monitor cables as well. Try using some other cable, if need be. Are you suing HDMI ?

TechCreator360

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Yes I did boot it via integrated graphics no artifacts. Tried with different monitors and cables no artifacts on both screens with IGPU, on GPU though both screens and cables have artifacts.

Kent Ferguson

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2013
i had artifacts and freezing from a used MSI GTX1070 Gaming X.
it was even keeping below 65c while artifacting!
i flashed to the latest bios, no difference.

i dismantled the 1070 and reapplied thermal paste, even though it looked fine.
Fixed!
no artifacting - no freezing - breaking my benchmark records atm :)

i am assuming a rough delivery by courier had upset the card, therefore paste and cooling had to be reset

TRENDING THREADS