[SOLVED] GeForce GTX 1070 struggling with three monitors

Nov 12, 2021
Hi, this may be a dumb question but curious if there's anything else I should try before upgrading the graphics card or more components.

What I have:

Dell XPS 8910 desktop, ~ 4 yrs old — core i7, 32G ram, Win10 Pro 64-bit
GeForce GTX 1070

Originally used three Dell U2412 monitors, and recently replaced two of them with an unusual 19" square model, Eizo EV2730. So current lineup is:

1920x1200
1920x1920
1920x1920

What I use it for: Mostly excel and web. A little programming and finance (bloomberg terminal, rstudio). Zero gaming or video. Problems seem most commonly triggered by opening too many tabs in Chrome.

What problems?
  • monitors black out for a few seconds. Sometimes one, sometimes all three, never two
  • sometimes when it's all three they don't come back, power lights turn orange, have to shut down computer with power button & restart
  • all of this happened a little with three 1920x1200 monitors, but has gotten notably worse with the Eizo ones, now full crash / reboot computer 1-2x day
Once in a while it stops recognizing a monitor entirely, but I have been able to resolve that with power cycling or switching from DisplayPort to HDMI/DVI. However I have not found anything that helps with the behavior above.

Time for a new graphics card? If so, which one?

I have been leaning towards a new computer entirely, but don't want to overdo it on the graphics card if that's not the issue.

thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Solution
1:1 aspect ratio monitors are very rare and probably have a low priority on supported resolutions from Nvidia drivers. Have you tried updating your graphics drivers with DDU? DDU is a safe and widely used utility program that gets rid of all traces of a previous display driver installation because updating drivers the normal way can cause some issues.
1:1 aspect ratio monitors are very rare and probably have a low priority on supported resolutions from Nvidia drivers. Have you tried updating your graphics drivers with DDU? DDU is a safe and widely used utility program that gets rid of all traces of a previous display driver installation because updating drivers the normal way can cause some issues.

Solution