[SOLVED] Geforce Gtx 1070 Ti compatible with 500W power supply /i7 CPU

Oct 3, 2018
So i want to upgrade my computer but i dont know if i have enough power.

My Computer Components are the following:
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 3GB
Power Supply:Apex 500W
Mainbaord: ASUS PRime H270
RAM: 16GB DDR4

So Can i Upgrade To A Geforce 1070 Ti
With out running in to a power problem?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
A 1070TI is a 180W TDP card, a 7700 is a 65W TDP chip.
So, on a quality 500W PSU, yes.

On a "500w" Apex unit, I doubt it. I'm not aware of any good units from them.
While I'm optimistic they're using a newer platform, JG reviewed an Allied (which can be branded Apex, or L&C among other 'brands') years ago.... and the "500W" literally blew up at <350W.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=65

Solution
A good quality 500w PSU would be fine. I know nothing about the quality of "Apex" PSUs, when I tried to look it up I didn't find much except that "Apex gaming" make ok units, but I don't know if they are the same company.

The usual advice is to get yourself a good unit, but without knowing what you've got, I don't want to tell you to go spending money of something you may not need. Do you have any reviews on your unit?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I wouldn't trust this power supply to be connected to an Egg McMuffin, let alone a $400 GPU. You'll have $700 tied up in just the CPU and GPU; you need to have something better than a dime store firestarter. The Corsair CXMs with the gray and white text and the Seasonic S12/M12 series tend to be the least expensive PSUs over my minimum threshold for being willing to put into something I owned.

Oct 3, 2018

i bought this computer pre build from i buy power. Its The Ibuy power I series 504

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/questions/ibuypower-desktop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-120gb-solid-state-drive-1tb-hard-drive-black-red/5727100/question/f94852bd-90aa-3f15-8c18-44b397c2f94a
this is what i bought

USAFRet

Titan

And that is one of the main issues with "iBuyPower" or "CyberPowerPC" systems.
Absolute bottom of the barrel power supplies. Why? Because no one knows the difference. All they see is the fancy blinken lights, and a couple of specs that sound good. The rest of the system is utter crap.

Yes, it works (mostly) with whatever the system came with. You want to add a better GPU? Budget in a new PSU as well.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Unless your prebuilt uses Delta (solid) or FSP (average) for their PSUs, the prebuilts tend to have very poor power supplies - budget boutique power supplies are generally the latter. I would never use the build you have now with this PSU, let alone making a significant upgrade.

Ramlethal

Estimable
I wouldnt actually do that. Since 1070ti and your CPU worth a peny. I would honestly go for a trustable PSU like evga / seasonic ones of 550w to 650W. i think they are on % Off right now... I saw some 650W seasonic at 40 Dollars

PSU is one of the most important components in your computer dont ever understimate it.
Cheers!