[SOLVED] GeForce GTX 1080 for Optiplex 9020 MT

Oct 13, 2018
Can I put GeForce GTX 1080, 8GB GPU in Dell Optiplex 9020 MT, i7 for 4k gaming, i have no issue in upgrading PSU and RAM. Please advise.

Solution
you will need to upgrade the psu i recommend a 750w even if this is a little more pricey it will be more efficient and save money in the long run. plz check if you have ddr3 if you do plz do not put a gtx 1080 in the system. if not i would recommend adding at least 4gb of ram you might have trouble with your proccesor bottlenecking i dont see this being a big issue but someting to keep in mind. it might be better to get a 1070 ti. if you do have ddr3 i would not put anything more than a 1060 6gb or a 1070 in the system. it would be fine to put a 1080 in the system if you have plans to upgrade soon. other wise dont waste money on an unbalanced system.

Note if you do upgrade your whole system dont bother getting more than an 15-8 or a...

koson123

Prominent
Oct 12, 2018
you will need to upgrade the psu i recommend a 750w even if this is a little more pricey it will be more efficient and save money in the long run. plz check if you have ddr3 if you do plz do not put a gtx 1080 in the system. if not i would recommend adding at least 4gb of ram you might have trouble with your proccesor bottlenecking i dont see this being a big issue but someting to keep in mind. it might be better to get a 1070 ti. if you do have ddr3 i would not put anything more than a 1060 6gb or a 1070 in the system. it would be fine to put a 1080 in the system if you have plans to upgrade soon. other wise dont waste money on an unbalanced system.

Note if you do upgrade your whole system dont bother getting more than an 15-8 or a ryzen 5 as both have 6 cores and will be fine for what you need.

i am not sure on bottlenecking plz check for more information on google dont take my word for it.

Solution
You can stick a 2080ti in a ddr3 system and still play 4k without bottlenecking. Ddr3 isn't the issue. Cpu is less of an issue at 4k but 8gb ram is getting a bit low for some games. You have to get an adapter for a psu upgrade and can only fit 10" cards.