Question GeForce GTX 1080 ftw - Do I need to buy a new graphics card at this point?

bFamous

Commendable
Aug 25, 2020
This freezing started four days ago and has only happened while running New World. The full computer will freeze for three seconds, then everything else will continue working as normal besides the game, this will sit on a still screen until force closed either through stream or the task manager. This only happened a few times on the first two days, but has progressively gotten worse, to the point where the game will not stay open for longer than thirty seconds. There was a single BSoD message two days ago linking the crash to the graphics card. There is also a rare occurrence happening where the second monitor will completely turn off and stay off for around a minute during the freeze. At this point, is there anything else I can try and do before attempting a factory reset and/or buying a new graphics card?

So far, I have ran through the following..
-New World reinstall/verifying integrity of game files
-Underclocking the GPU "-50" in MSI afterburner
-Safe Mode DDU reinstalling process using the manufacturers website to grab the latest drivers
-Uninstalled most recent windows updates

BSoD Dumpfile:
IMAGE_NAME: nvlddmkm.sys
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x133_DPC_nvlddmkm!unknown_function

-Heaven Benchmark froze and started not responding after about thirty seconds of running the test
DirectX 11, High, Extreme, Disabled, Disabled, x8, 2560x1440

-Motherboard BIOS has not bee updated (ROG STRIX Z370 Version 2701)
-I do not have a system image saved to restore back to.

Specs:
Windows 10 64bit
Intel i7-8700K
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 ftw
ROG STRIX z370-H Gaming
16.0 GB RAM

Recording the crash:
View: https://youtu.be/heug5kLizvQ

MSI during crash:
unknown.png

Last edited:
Safe Mode DDU reinstalling process using the manufacturers website
even if the manufacturer wasn't Nvidia themselves you are still always better off using drivers directly from nvidia.com.

you can still use any 3rd party manufacturer's control software but you want the latest driver package directly from Nvidia.
usually preferably without GeForce Experience included.
This only happened a few times on the first two days, but has progressively gotten worse, to the point where the game will not stay open for longer than thirty seconds. There was a single BSoD message two days ago linking the crash to the graphics card.
compare the driver version you currently are using with the latest available from Nvidia, 516.94.

if the same,
remove the drivers and all related graphics data with DDU again.
then install an earlier version and see if you still suffer the same issues.

if an earlier version,
install the latest package directly from Nvidia.
then see if issue still arises.

if with the driver change you are still suffering i would start to look into the card itself as the culprit.
if you don't have any issue running other games;
you may also want to check New World forums for others suffering similar issue recently. the game itself has been known to have issue before.

Reactions: bFamous

bFamous

Commendable
Aug 25, 2020
even if the manufacturer wasn't Nvidia themselves you are still always better off using drivers directly from nvidia.com.

you can still use any 3rd party manufacturer's control software but you want the latest driver package directly from Nvidia.
usually preferably without GeForce Experience included.

compare the driver version you currently are using with the latest available from Nvidia, 516.94.

if the same,
remove the drivers and all related graphics data with DDU again.
then install an earlier version and see if you still suffer the same issues.

if an earlier version,
install the latest package directly from Nvidia.
then see if issue still arises.

if with the driver change you are still suffering i would start to look into the card itself as the culprit.
if you don't have any issue running other games;
you may also want to check New World forums for others suffering similar issue recently. the game itself has been known to have issue before.

Have tried a few more things:
-Factory Reset through the windows recovery options completely clearing all drives and reinstalling windows to the same ssd.
-Removed GPU from the motherboard for over 60 seconds, then reinstalled into a different slot using brand new VGA cables.
-Ran the DDU a second time in safe mode to clean install nvidia drivers from September of last year, Version 472.12 (left geforce experience out of the equation).
-Ran the DDU a third time in safe mode to clean install the latest nvidia drivers 516.94 (again, without geforce experience)

The same issue remains. I have been watching the error on event viewer and it's giving me the same source as the dump file from the only BSoD.
Usually followed by a display warning, "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

Again, the game remains completely frozen until closed down by the task manager.

unknown.png

Last edited:

bFamous

Commendable
Aug 25, 2020
try the game using only generic driver from os and see if it does the same also give name nd model of psu ,

I will edit this comment with the results of launching the game wit generic drivers.
Built the PC about five years ago. This is the first time there has been any problems.

EVGA 220-G3-0750-X1 Super Nova 750 G3
https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Supernova-Modular-Warranty-220-G3-0750-X1/dp/B005BE058W

EDIT:
I am getting an error when launching the game without nvidia drivers installed.
unknown.png

Last edited:

bFamous

Commendable
Aug 25, 2020
Just tested Rust and crashing the same way.

I'd also like to point out that the game is not crashing completely! While the computer freezes for a moment with the nvlddmkm coming up as the issue, the game is still being played afterwards. I am able to move my character and do whatever in game. The game itself just has a still frame of when it crashed.

EDIT:
League of Legends as well
unknown.png

Last edited:
Factory Reset through the windows recovery options completely clearing all drives and reinstalling windows to the same ssd.
-Removed GPU from the motherboard for over 60 seconds, then reinstalled into a different slot using brand new VGA cables.
-Ran the DDU a second time in safe mode to clean install nvidia drivers from September of last year, Version 472.12 (left geforce experience out of the equation).
-Ran the DDU a third time in safe mode to clean install the latest nvidia drivers 516.94 (again, without geforce experience)

The same issue remains.
this would point towards an actual malfunction with the card itself.

if it's new enough that the retailer purchased from will supply a replacement;
go through them.
if outside of retailer period but still inside manufacturer warranty period;
contact them for RMA.

Reactions: bFamous