[SOLVED] GeForce GTX 1660ti w/ Max Q Design GPU Frequency Varies

Feb 23, 2022
I have a GeForce GTX 1660ti (secondary GPU) in my ASUS Zephyrus laptop and I noticed the GPU frequency going up and down in Afterburnerr.

Any ideas what could be wrong?
Is a GPU core frequency supposed to jump around under load or not underload?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
Hey there,

So when you say frequency going up and down, what kind of numbers? To answer your questions, yes, this can be typical behavior. Your GPU will switch frequency depending on a number of factors, including clockspeed, temperature, power, voltage and load among other variables. Sometimes your GPU may even post past it's normal boost clocks and go even higher.

It dynamically adjusts the clockspeed when there is headroom to do so.
Hey there,

So when you say frequency going up and down, what kind of numbers? To answer your questions, yes, this can be typical behavior. Your GPU will switch frequency depending on a number of factors, including clockspeed, temperature, power, voltage and load among other variables. Sometimes your GPU may even post past it's normal boost clocks and go even higher.

It dynamically adjusts the clockspeed when there is headroom to do so.

Solution
Yes, CPUs and GPUs will adjust their frequency based on usage and load in order to save power and/or not keep the system as hot as more power consumed = more heat generated. The GPU frequency will more or less "lock" in place to a faster speed when you're running a 3D game.