GeForce GTX 460 (GF104) Specs, Speeds Leaked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Nvidia's starting to get competitive with prices, never thought i'd see that one coming.

But with the increase in temperatures and power consumption, the savings will probably go into coolers and power bills.

Just my opinion.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
The GTX 460 has the same feel as a 5830 to me.
Great chip that was butchered to meet market demand with a price that still isn't quite right. I only bought a 5830 because my local shops only had a $200 5770 and a $225 5830 in stock.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
i am so sick and tired of people asking about power usage!!! if you can afford to buy this type of cards then you should be able to pay for your electrical bill, if not then don't bother. personally I don't care if my system uses 200W or 1200W, who gives a crap. if you want performance you should understand that the system is going to be power hungry

delazaren

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
he could be asking in order to get an idea as to how much heat or noise it produces, also he could be asking this question to find out if he would need to purchase a new power supply..... the reasons are plenty.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]i am so sick and tired of people asking about power usage!!! if you can afford to buy this type of cards then you should be able to pay for your electrical bill, if not then don't bother. personally I don't care if my system uses 200W or 1200W, who gives a crap. if you want performance you should understand that the system is going to be power hungry[/citation]

Agree completly. Anyone into serious gaming dont care much, it's still only a few $ extra and i for one gladly pay that for the performace. If your running a 24/7 server cluser i can understand power effichency is one of the key numbers but for serious gaming... no!

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]Agree completly. Anyone into serious gaming dont care much, it's still only a few $ extra and i for one gladly pay that for the performace. If your running a 24/7 server cluser i can understand power effichency is one of the key numbers but for serious gaming... no![/citation]

Go ahead then get a 3 way gtx480 and a ~300$ 1500w psu and burn your circuit board with over 1KW on it just from the computer. It's all about performance isn't it?

G

"if you can afford to buy this type of cards then you should be able to pay for your electrical bill, if not then don't bother."

The electrical bill is only one reason for being curious about power consumption. Other reasons, and possibly more relevant ones, would be heat and noise output.

Can my PSU handle this midrange card or do I have to step down a bit more or get a new PSU? Is my case airflow good enough, will other components be affected by potentially higher case temperatures? Will it limit my overclocking potential? Will high temperatures shorten the lifespan of the card? Is the fan noise bearable, either under idle or load?

There's lot of things that can be implied, or derived, from a cards power requirements. Naturally it's best to wait for the reviews but your assumption that people only care because of their electrical bill is fallacious at best.

G

There are more uses for a GPU than gaming you know. People who care about power usage might be running folding@home 24/7 and not gaming at all. When you're running a pc (with anywhere from 1 to 7 graphic cards) 24/7 365days a year it costs a fortune. I know power usage affects what I buy as I'm running folding@home 24/7.

If I was only gaming for a few hours a day or my parents paid the bill because I was a child that lived at home, I wouldn't care.

(I'm 43 and pay my own bills, so I do care)

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]i am so sick and tired of people asking about power usage!!! if you can afford to buy this type of cards then you should be able to pay for your electrical bill, if not then don't bother. personally I don't care if my system uses 200W or 1200W, who gives a crap. if you want performance you should understand that the system is going to be power hungry[/citation]
I agree to a point. They are probably asking (for good reason) to compare it to their power supply. You already know you do not want to overtax your PS or you will have serious stability issues.
My Corsair PS is about 650 Watt and is a very stable PS. It runs my Q9650 and single GTX 285 fine. It will not do a monster SLI but I did not build my rig with multiple video cards in mind.

Device Unknown

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010

I think I love you. (p.s. You are on the mark with that one.)

Device Unknown

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
oh also.. has anyone done the math on the kilowat usage from a nominal like HTPC vs a high end dual GPU system? over a 1 year span? If were talking 200 bucks more electric bill in a year, I just don't see where the problem would come in. If it's $2000, then there is an issue.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
eh. At the price of $250 you might as well just get a 5850 which is just a bit more and is still a beast of a card, even a year from now it will still be a beast! It may still be around 280-300 but in my opinion its still worth every penny over this card. This is meant to be for those diehard Nvidia fans that just cant afford or just cant buy a 470 or a 480 and can go the easy route and SLI two of these 460 thinking they have a killer while in reality it might just be like a 5770, and in sli it will act like a 5770 crossfire setup.... Still a xfire 5850 is king in terms of value and max preformance

Just bought a 4870 for $80. In a couple years when this next gen of cards are cheaper I will purchase a one for $80 - $100 again. And I will have spent a lot less than many people. All because I don't feel the need to have everything maxed out. To me, if a game can get a decent frame rate at default graphic settings and run the resolution I want then that is all I need.

G

In the backside pic you can see that there are two six-pin PCI-E connectors for the PSU (solder points), that means a maximum power consumption of:
150W(PCI-E 16X port 2.0 version)+75W+75W= 300W,
since six-pin PCI-E connectors provide 75W each and PCI-E eight-pin connectors supply a maximum of 150W.
So it should be around 230/280W for this card, presumably.

Status
Not open for further replies.