GeForce GTX 480 And 470: From Fermi And GF100 To Actual Cards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
I have been waiting for this review since freaking January. Tom's Hardware, I love you.

With official reviews available, the GTX 480 certainly doesn't seem like the rampaging ATI-killer they boasted it would be, especially six months after ATI started rolling out 5xxx cards. Now I suppose I'll just cross my fingers that this causes prices for the 5xxx cards to shift a bit (a guy can dream, can't he?), and wait to see what ATI rolls out next. Unless something drastic happens, I don't see myself choosing a GF100 card over an ATI alternative, at least not for this generation of GPUs.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Completely unimpressed. 6 months late. Too expensive. Power hog. Performance not particularly impressive. The Radeon 5k series has been delivering a near identical experience for 6 months now, at a lower price.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
hmmm.. so this is a paper launch... six months after and they do a paper launch on a friday evening, after the stock exchange has closed.. smart move by Nvidia, that way people will cool off during the weekend, but I think their stocks won't perform that brilliantly on monday...

Godhatesusall

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
high power consumption, high prices along with a (small, all things considered) performance edge over ATI is all there is. Are 100$ more for a gtx 480 really worth 5-10% increase in performance?

Though the big downside of fermi are temps. 97 is a very large(and totally unacceptable) temperature level. IMO fermi cards will start dying from thermal death some months from now.

I just wanted competition,so that prices would be lower and we(the consumers) could get more bang for our buck. Surely fermi doesnt help alot in that direction(a modest 30$ cut for 5870 and 5850 from ATI and fermi wont stand a chance). It seems AMD/ATI clearly won this round

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Wow, it seems Nvidia actually went ahead and designed a DX11 card and found out how difficult it is to design. ATI/AMD just slapped a DX11 sticker on their DX10 card and sells it as DX11. In half a year HD 5000 will be so outdated that all it can play is DX10 games.

G

Traditionally I have been a big nVidia loyalist. Why? Because I think they have better drivers. This however makes me question whether I will stick with them this time around. Its a huge letdown. The performance is not anywhere close to good enough. At this late point in the game ATi likely has something newer than the 5000 series close to launch. It will make people physically sick that they spent the big bucks on these nVidia cards if in 3 months or so there are faster cards from ATi.

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
gotta love the competition. prices will surely go down and costumer will only benefit. sad that it took nvidia 6 months to get here though..

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
GTX 480: 10%-15% more performance than a 5870 for a power consumption akin to a 5970, at much higher temperatures, and for 100$ more. More than likely available in limited quantities in two weeks (let's see about that). I have a word for this: faillure.

Oh, it seems that ATI already has a preview of Catalyst 10.3a, which add another few frames to the already very respcatable 10.3.

I admit Tom's want to be polite, although I do have to say, from the reviews I've read so far, you seem to be the most objctive, so you deserve congratulations for that, but anyway, to me, it simply is not worth the money. Efficiency is not just a fashion word, it has real world implications, and Nvidia has a lot of homework to do on redesigning their chip.

rage machine

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I am so disappointed. I have been using Nvidia since the 6000 series and, unfortunately for them, i will be purchasing an ATI card next. I have a GTX280 and there is really no performance gain big enough to justify the cost, power, and heat levels of the card. I have really gained some newfound respect for ATI though, I look forward to purchasing a card from them. I also believe that eyefinity is going to be the way to go.

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
I was impressed, mainly in pricing. Both nvidia cards are clearly better in raw performance, especially since it's beta drivers vs ATI's newest. This is good because I need Eyefinity in a single card solution and the prices of ATI should dropped soon. All that being said...my gosh those temps and power reqs are just plain dumb. 1 GTX 480 is hotter and requires more power than the 5970 for crying out loud! There will have to be some serious power supply upgrades for GTX SLI... 5870 here I come!

I was impressed how the 4870X2 still pwns it up old school style.

Anyone else really surprised that Crysis was where the 5870 and 5850 shined?! What happened nvidia?!

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Performance is clearly disappointing, but this test shows nothing with DX11. Metro 2033 is just one of them. It would make sense to add some strong benchmarks such as Heaven's benchmark and some DX11 games.

I know that Nvidia always does this: Fail at bad times. We've seen this with the GTX 280 and 4870X2, but this time Nvidia disappointed themselves.

I also believe ATi will be copying the 500mm2 design and they will put it on their Northern Island (HD6xxx) series.

Status
Not open for further replies.