GeForce GTX 480 Poses Next to Radeon HD 5970

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjamess

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Does the size really matter? If it fits your case, who cares. Anyone else sick of these little tidbits of news? Save it for the review please.

G

I don't understand - does TH actually read the comments, ever? Every single little "sneak peak" has been met with a steady stream of we-do-not-care. Why do you keep posting this stuff?

kravmaga

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
[citation][nom]edduardo[/nom]I don't understand - does TH actually read the comments, ever? Every single little "sneak peak" has been met with a steady stream of we-do-not-care. Why do you keep posting this stuff?[/citation]

Are you under the impression that a handful of vocal malcontents expressing their "we-do-not-care" attitude despite posting 3-4 pages of comments could really represent the majority of the readership?

People do care about this; be it bits of gossip or the newest pictures, anything to appease the burning anticipation for the release has been getting massive hits.

amdgamer666

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
I'm not going to be getting a fermi card but I still thought this was a good tidbit of news because we already know the size of the 5970 so this gives us a good idea of its length, which I was wondering about

gladiator_mohaa

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
The site belongs to those who own Toms Hardware and they can post whatever they want. I will still come and read their news, and besides....why are people seem so anxious to click on a title of news they "DON'T CARE ABOUT" just to complain when what does it really hurt for Tom's to put up anyway? It drives me insane when people waste their time to complain about something so small an insignificant thinking they are the only person in the world who reads Tom's.

bigrigross

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
If the performance is 5 percent better than a 5870 (if the rumors are true) then a 5970 would trounce on the 480. Especially since the cards will most likely be about 500 dollars because of high demand and low stock. I dont see what all the hype is over these cards. In 6 months ATI will hopefully be rolling out 6000 series cards.

mlcloud

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Afaik, the GTX 480 will be the 5870's direct competitor, not the 5970. Hence, it's meaningless to compare a massive dual-GPU card with a single GPU card designed to tackle an adversary a tier lower. Just the move to place Fermi in brighter light, I suppose.

blue shift

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Actually, I though it was neat to get a better look at the cooler by way of those shroud-less shots. That's a very substantial radiator assembly for a stock cooler... The direction of the fins would allow for a clear channel to the back of the case for exhaust, and potential airflow via ambient circulation would also be able to reach the fins due to the open-air design. Because this thing will be resting upside-down on its mount, the sides of the shrouds should suffice to keep too much hot air from venting into the rest of your system. Very nice.

G

nVidia has already released a video of Heaven benchmarks... and the 480 beats out the 5870....(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCSK2gnyQyk&feature=related) and I do believe the 5970 is (2) 5870's... so I doubt the 480 beats the 5970.... but Im sure (2) 480's beat a 5970.... but for people like me, its more about the new CUDA/FERMI architecture, ecc support and the opening of gates to so many developers to harness the fully scalable and parallel gpu's!

o_O, interesting indeed. My 5870 still has a little room to spare in my X-Dreamer case, but seems the GTX 480 would not have required me to move my Hard Drive for it. Good for people concerned about the length, but let's see some benchmarks.

Simple11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
Im gonna have to agree with soldier, imma stick to the 2x5870. And yes, I am not worried about the size of the card. After having just a single 4870, I was concerned, but now I feel that its the 'defacto' desktop GPUS.

blue shift

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
[citation][nom]OvrClkr[/nom]The pic should be a 5870 next to fermi not the 5970, not sure if it was the authors fault or not but thats a FAIL in my book...[/citation]
Since the image has "Air Force" and "www.chiphell.com" stamped on it, the author of this article has nothing to do with it. This is the image that's been posted, and the article title told you exactly what to expect. The only "FAIL" here was your post.

footsoldier

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
What so much leaked pictures? With ppl already gotten their hands on the fermi cards, there should be leaked benchmarks?? Correct me if i'm wrong, but i think is because the benchmarks are nothing worth showing.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
[citation][nom]roltzje[/nom]There is far too much hype behind this launch.[/citation]

If only the hype would stand up to the massive delays ...

Status
Not open for further replies.