[SOLVED] Geforce GTX 560 Ti or Intel HD 530?

blackop

Distinguished
May 4, 2012
Thanks in advance!

I don't have the cash for a new system or GPU yet. I'm not really gaming anymore. I'm using my PC to write, watch movies, stream and listen to music. However, I've been wondering if my system would be faster if I installed my old Geforce GTX 550Ti? I want what I have to be as fast as possible. Any insight would be deeply appreciated. I haven't noticed a difference after removing the card and switching about a year ago. I guess that's because the card is so old?

Thanks!

intel Core i5 6500 @ 3.2GHZ, Turboburst enabled: 3.5 GHZ intel HD 530 GPU
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
8 GB DDR-400 G.Skill
LG 29" IPS LED Ultra Wide 2K monitor
Samsung 850 EVO SATA SSD 250 GB
Western Digital 1TB HDD

Solution
If you could find a cheap 1050, than go with it. But for that specific one I would not. For about ten bucks more you could get a 1650 Super. Which is much faster and a newer generation.

For your use case though, I don't think that you would need anything more powerful than a 550ti. If all your doing is watching movies, and other basic web applications then a 550ti should be fine. While your just browsing the web, or on the home screen, the graphics card will not improve performance too much. But when playing back a movie/video it would help take the load off of the cpu.

So basically you should put your 550ti in your system unless you want lower power consumption. And if you want a new graphics card then visit the link above.

blackop

Distinguished
May 4, 2012
Thanks, LleohCjh! It is a 550Ti. Sorry about the confusion.

I looked at those comparisons and they seem to be ranking gaming performance. I'm looking to see if installing the 550Ti would help overall system performance. Would installing the card take a load off the CPU? I read articles saying that it doesn't matter now if you don't use your system for gaming, which I'm not.

Thanks, LleohCjh! It is a 550Ti. Sorry about the confusion.

I looked at those comparisons and they seem to be ranking gaming performance. I'm looking to see if installing the 550Ti would help overall system performance. Would installing the card take a load off the CPU? I read articles saying that it doesn't matter now if you don't use your system for gaming, which I'm not.
Is a GTX 550TI your only option? Are you actually looking for a GTX 1050TI? A GT 1030 1GB or 2GB would actually be a faster card and require far less power at only 30-40watt vs 550TI at around 115-120watt.

blackop

Distinguished
May 4, 2012
Third-Eye,

Yes. It is my only option. I can't afford a new video card now. Just looking to see if there would be any difference, system-wise, should I use that old card vs. my CPU.

blackop

Distinguished
May 4, 2012
Another angle is: Since I have a huge monitor and watch movies, I barely see tiny skips here and there. Especially when there is a lot of action. I keep my movies on my HDD, not the SSD. Is buying a 1050 Ti my solution?

May 28, 2020
If you could find a cheap 1050, than go with it. But for that specific one I would not. For about ten bucks more you could get a 1650 Super. Which is much faster and a newer generation.

For your use case though, I don't think that you would need anything more powerful than a 550ti. If all your doing is watching movies, and other basic web applications then a 550ti should be fine. While your just browsing the web, or on the home screen, the graphics card will not improve performance too much. But when playing back a movie/video it would help take the load off of the cpu.

So basically you should put your 550ti in your system unless you want lower power consumption. And if you want a new graphics card then visit the link above.

Solution

blackop

Distinguished
May 4, 2012

Thanks! I will do so. =)