GeForce GTX 570 Review: Hitting $349 With Nvidia's GF110

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]ReggieRay[/nom]I always wonder why they use the overpriced Ultimate edition of Windows? I understand the 64 bit because of memory, that is what I bought but purchased the OEM home premium and saved some cash. For games the Ultimate does no extra value to them.Or am I missing something?[/citation]

Yes. In addition to gaming, some of us do other things on a Windows PC.

Joining a domain, active directory integration, media center? Ultimate (Vista or Win7) does all of these. The others do not.

scrumworks

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Why are you still running Metro 2033 with MEDIUM QUALITY settings even with ultra high resolutions when you are testing the fastest cards in the market? Radeons do much better in shader intensive tasks when settings are cranked all the way high.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
So these are like the GTX 275's - which were freaking AWESOME (I know I had a pair)

Dam you Toms and nvidia.....I JUST ordered waterblocks for my 5870s to! Know how hard it is going to be to offload a pair of 5870s now?! lol

tom thumb

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
I've never played Metro, but why is the min fps so low?

Isn't that indicative of a badly designed game - if every graphics card available is guaranteed to lag?

... I guess nvidia wins this round, until the 6900s show up.

why is the 6850 crossfire? u have two ati dual-gpu solutions, but no nvidia dual-gpu solutions. biased much?

The reason is most likely that the dual 6850 solution is only going to cost $30-50 more than the single GTX 570 which is listed between $350-360. From a price standpoint, the comparison is valid.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Gameplay would be stuttering with a min FPS below 30. Metro 2033 is simply a badly optimized game like Crysis was.

The thing to remember on the price war is that AMD can go lower, nVidia is losing money on all the chips they sell right now. Without a revolutionary change in model, nVidia is going to go the way of GM without the bailout. Making a product you lose money to sell is simply a bad business model.

Nice article indeed. Good to see that nVidia is holding to it's promise of "better computation per W" on their new releases.

Now, this thing is a lot more expensive (~$100) for ~30% increase over a single GTX470/5870. Even more when MSRP won't last long IMO, just like the 6800's.

Also, most of us don't give Video Cards as Xmas presents, so I/we can wait all I/we want for AMD's counter with their 6900's. My 4890 is begging me to wait, so I will since it's been one hell of a card so far. DX11 is looking good (perf wise, pun not intended) in Cataclysm, so I'm getting some DX11 love before new years I hope.

Cheers!

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
GeForce GTX 570 is perhaps most attractive to the enthusiasts who don’t want to pay flagship prices, but only have room for a single dual-slot card.
Let's not forget microstuttering. or does Tom's no longer recognize that issue? Can we see a new article devoted to the issue? Or perhaps an article showing problems with multi-gpu would just tick off AMD and Nvidia too much.

hannibal

Distinguished
Well the situation is definitely better now with 6xxx vs 5xx than it was with 5xxx vs 4xx series! Good cards from both companies!
It's is interesting to see how the full set of these cards will compare to each others... the 560 will most propably be quite near 460, the low ends cards are harder to predict. Bigger 6970 seems to be harder to make right than 5870 was. The low end versions should be good whn thingkin how good Bart parts are. But both companies has used to cut a little bit too many corners with their low end cards. Nvidia has good tessalation power, but at low end it seems to be less relevant. AMD managed to achieve good results with low transistor count... An interesting winter coming!
The 570 is good card, with competative price! More of these from both companies :)

roadrun777

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I wish they would give a purse and shoes with the video cards so I would get the latest without the dreaded justification fight.
Can anyone give a concept image for what an Nvida vs. AMD purse would look like? I want to see if the concept works.

michael ninja

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
This would be a great card if it could actually drive 3 monitors at the same time. I use 2 monitors and my 50" TV as a third. Great for Netflix! But I don't want to spend $350 and not be able to use all three. I just don't understand why they missed this.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
Chris, I just wanted to congratulate you on the review in general, but also for the courage you demonstrated when you criticized Ubisoft for their draconian and completely unjustified DRM scheme. Specially when it actually makes the experience worse!

I'm not buying any Ubisoft titles with such DRM scheme. Never have, never will.

bstm300

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
It would be foolish to not wait for the ATi's next round of cards considering they are due out this month and should provide more affordable alternatives to the GTX 570 and GTX 580.

This is my prediction:
The Radeon 6950 stock will retail for around $300 and 6970 stock will retail for about $350. Their performance will be about 10-12% less f.p.s. than their nvidia counterparts, the 570 and 580. My guess is that by mid January, Nvidia will have to shave prices on their 500's by about $25-50 to compensate for losses from the ATI cards.

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
Hey, you're in Bakersfield too!? You remember in Cast Away when the porta-potty out of which Tom Hanks makes his raft said Bakersfield on it? Me too. Good times.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]PhantomTrooper[/nom]why is the dual-gpu 5970 in this comparison? why is the 6850 crossfire? u have two ati dual-gpu solutions, but no nvidia dual-gpu solutions. biased much?[/citation]
It's not bias, it's what us the community asked for, he says so in the first page of the article.

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
wow this is cool ..I just purchased EK GTX580FC block thinking of upgrade to 580 from 5770 and guess what 570~580 share same PCB lol,it may be good time to take advantage of 90 day step up program from EVGA ;)

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Well, nVidia got it right with the GTX500 series so far. I think that it wouldn't have been the case if AMD wasn't so procrastinating its 6900 launch. I still think that the price of all these cards is still fairly high, considering the price to performance increment over a year (both AMD and nVidia)and it is time when the prices should go lower.

WarraWarra

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
Nice performance seeing the 1x gpu chip on 1x gpu board 570 is competing with 2x5870's on 1x gpu board "5970" and almost canning it in Dirt 2 DX11. Decent value in relation to Ati5970.

Power consumption is okay, could be better, noise is excellent in relation to others in noise test.

1+ up for NVidia, just not sure if I would buy it yet.

The price is okay = no immediate sale yet = maybe 2x 6850's / 2x 6870's or the NV570 = not sure yet.

If it was $300 or less then it would have been a no brainier sale to get the NV570 and ah heck the ATi's no questions asked.

Hopefully they would have at least 1 weeks worth of the NV570 stock and not Ati/NVidia run out of stock stupidity again so they can rig the prices as is normal.

WarraWarra

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
[citation][nom]tpi2007[/nom]Chris, I just wanted to congratulate you on the review in general, but also for the courage you demonstrated when you criticized Ubisoft for their draconian and completely unjustified DRM scheme. Specially when it actually makes the experience worse! I'm not buying any Ubisoft titles with such DRM scheme. Never have, never will.[/citation]

+1000 points to both you and Chris, either they sell what we want and need or like choosing a country / car the best deal will have a sale / new immigrant no questions asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.