GeForce GTX 570 Review: Hitting $349 With Nvidia's GF110

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Wow...have just been following the past few years...picked up a 460 and wondered PC games will not put the 460 at recommended for 3 years at least.
Are most bragging rights about multi monitor, overclocking and 70 FPS vs 280 FPS and above where 8% of users or less actually relate?
OUCH...we are victims of false acquired "need"

freaky206

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
[citation][nom]michael ninja[/nom]This would be a great card if it could actually drive 3 monitors at the same time. I use 2 monitors and my 50" TV as a third. Great for Netflix! But I don't want to spend $350 and not be able to use all three. I just don't understand why they missed this.[/citation]
[citation][nom]michael ninja[/nom]This would be a great card if it could actually drive 3 monitors at the same time. I use 2 monitors and my 50" TV as a third. Great for Netflix! But I don't want to spend $350 and not be able to use all three. I just don't understand why they missed this.[/citation]

Because nVidia's GPU hardware is designed with two heads which means they can just output to two displays at the same time. With Kepler it's going to have four heads that should make you happy.

ramx

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
There is another website called Hardware canucks which seems biased to Nvidia as it highlights Nvidia's feats very much.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...s/38626-nvidia-geforce-gtx-570-review-20.html
If u compare the review of the same GTX 570 on this site to toms,u can note some facts.
1.The closest competitor to GTX 570 viz Radeon 5870's price is referred to $280 here at toms whereas its $400 at Hardware canucks.
2.The power consumption difference b/w GTX 570& 5870 is ~55W here and its only about 20W at canucks.
The actual numbers should be somewhere b/w them.If u refer a comparitively unbiased site like techpowerup,u will clearly understand what i mean.( http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_570/1.html )
I don't want to create an issue with these reviews.Ultimately its the end-user who suffers.If a guy trust only a single review site,he is very likely to fix his purchasing decisions to the website's interests.Thus its highly recommended to refer different review sites before making a decision.

kg2010

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
I doubt anyone makes this type of purchasing decision based on 1 review.

I personally read every review I can get my hands on, and come to my own conclusions based on everything I've researched.

I also couldn't believe that some review sites recommended to upgrade from a 470 to a 570, while it would be more cost efficient to simply get a 2nd 470 and crush the single 570's performance.

ramx

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009

dude,if 5970 is priced at GTX 570's price of $350,all these discussions are simply waste of time. Just use ur commonsense.If 5970 is available for $350,how can AMD sell 5870 for ~300???

TexasTrash

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
Thanks for confirming why I trust Tom's Hardware much less as time goes on. Other site have rightfully trashed Nvidia's huge heat, noise and pricing issues. Or lack of bit-streaming for Blu-ray playback.
But not you guys! Very disappointing. Like the infatuation with expensive SSD's too.

But the major issue now is the lack of image quality tests. You need to play catch-up and test and post HQV 2.0 video test results.

verbalizer

Distinguished
sounds like a personal beef - texastrash.. :cry:
you sound like a nVidia hater or ATi fanboi and a Tom's hater too. :fou:

if you feel tha nVidia has huge heat and pricing issues then don't get one... :non: and the Blu-Ray playback I have is excellent... :D
it's that simple.. :na:

I also have a SSD unit that I got from listening to Tom's and I love it..... :love:
so you find all your requested image quality tests and start your own thread, don't forget your video tests results too.. :kaola:

they say everything is bigger in texas i guess your ignorance is too...;)
maybe your pockets aren't so big...? :whistle:

kg2010

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010

As if that'll ever happen, maybe in 4 - 6 months.

The 480 hasn't dropped that much in price, and the 570 is clearly more efficient and cheaper.

Let's see what AMD brings to the table first

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
good and informative article. loved reading though it. more so since I'm still tossing and turning on should I get gtx 460 now, or wait a bit more and get 570..

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
I was hoping to avoid gf100 power usage, and gf104 douple precision crippledness, also the price.

Having said that, 470 does look like a good middle ground.

kg2010

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
You should open up a thread to get advice, so we don't keep posting the review comments.

IMO I'd say go with a 570 if you can afford it, it's got 480 performance, cooler, quieter, cheaper. It's really a nice card, but wait it out, because it may dip lower in price depending on what 69xx brings to the table.

You've made it this far, you can wait a few more days ;)

kg2010

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010

Tom's Hardware isn't the only review site out there, when ever new product is released, people usually review several sites, and then decide.

Based on the 570 it's pretty spot on and consistent across ALL review sites. I've yet to read anything negative about the 570.

"Other sites have trashed Nvidia's heat, noise, and pricing issues, and rightfully so."

That's why they now have the 580 and 570 which provides $500 performance at $350. ( 480 vs 570 )

Also, the whole heat and noise issue got blown out of proportion, I personally have a 470 that is overclocked to 480 performance, and I've yet to go past 65C on full load, and the card is very quiet with the fans running at 60%.

Lack of bit streaming for Blu-ray playback?

I can play SEVERAL HD Movies at once if I wanted to, and they are sharp and crystal clear. Never had any issues there.

Next

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]TexasTrash[/nom]Thanks for confirming why I trust Tom's Hardware much less as time goes on. Other site have rightfully trashed Nvidia's huge heat, noise and pricing issues. Or lack of bit-streaming for Blu-ray playback. But not you guys! Very disappointing. Like the infatuation with expensive SSD's too.But the major issue now is the lack of image quality tests. You need to play catch-up and test and post HQV 2.0 video test results.[/citation]

Greetings Trash,

Not sure if you've read any of our coverage of the GTX 480, 470, 465, 580, or 570, but I'm relatively sure I've mentioned the heat and power issues in every. single. one.

Thanks for the feedback, though! Have a great holiday,
Chris

ramx

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Its a good step by toms to provide real world gaming power draw numbers since its the actual power draw experienced by the user rather than a synthetic benchmark. It would be better to provide a screenshot of settings screen of metro 2033(or the game referred) coz not all users use the same settings used here.
Also i think providing peak power draw numbers is better rather than average since it would give users an idea of maximum power draw from their PSU during gaming.

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
An[citation][nom]article[/nom]Swapping over to a display running a different resolution, however, continues to have a profound effect on power and temperatures (Nvidia does not deny this). The jump from 192 W to 255 W and 45 degrees to 56 degrees is significant. The good news is that if you're using the same screen, the latest drivers minimize the impact of utilizing both of the GeForce GTX 580's display outputs.[/citation]

.....And Nvidia was making fun of ati's drivers for their "image quality issues" at least multiple monitors have never affected ati cards in this way (and there were no ati drivers that smoke GPUs too)

[citation][nom]nevertell[/nom]Yay, I got highlighted ![/citation]

congratulations

G

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ce,2806-5.html

Quote:
Moving forward, I'm inclined to use AMD's High Quality Catalyst AI setting for graphics card reviews, if only to get the best possible filtering quality.

How about also testing each card at the same TDP levels? Everyone knows that overclocking,sorry i meant higher power consumptions yields better performances.Because its only fair riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.Lol

toofly

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
I absolutely LOVE Tom's Hardware and the reviewers. I would certainly have to DISAGREE with those who claim Toms is ATI biased, as they have numerous articles showing the advantages of SLI scaling vs Crossfire, and CUDA GPU acceleration vs ATI's OpenGL... I'd say Tom's Hardware is admirably unbiased in such a flip-flop market. Just look at the SBM articles, and look at the cards they choose, it's always whoever is on top for the money, no matter the brand.

Also!! the fact that Tom's writers genuinely read our feedback, and write new articles to address our questions is freaking amazing! If you would like to see something more, just ask for it and don't resort to name-calling. It reflects poorly on your maturity.

My hats off to you, Chris, and all the other Toms Hardware peeps! I loved the article.

P.S. As a GTX 460 SLI owner (the 768MB's), I did notice the absence of an equally priced Nvidia sli setup in the review. =( Your own benchmarks place it higher than the 480 in most games.
Maybe next time!!

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2010-gaming-graphics-charts-high-quality/Battlefield-Bad-Company-2,2466.html

Status
Not open for further replies.