Geforce GTX 580

twiz90

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Hello there tom's hardware I have just joined and have heard good reviews about this website and was hoping that someone here could possibly help me with my problem.

My problem is that I recently bought a GTX 580 off of newegg. After installing the card into my motherboard and installing the drivers I went to www.systemrequirementslab.com to see if I could run some games before buying them.

I click battlefield 3 and I get this, http://i39.tinypic.com/14nfynl.png

It is saying that my brand new graphics card isn't good enough to run the game!? I do not see how this is possible, I checked on the Geforce website and it says it has a model shader of 5.0 so I do not see why it is coming up as a 3.0?

My system is in the screenshot above.

EDIT: by the way in that screenshot I cropped out the thing where it says FAIL. Thought that would be an important piece of information.

liquidchild

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Well I dont really know what is wrong with the card but I will tell you how I would go about troubleshooting it....send it back to newegg asap. See if the new card does the same thing. If not problem solved. If the issue is still there at least you have taken "broken card" off the table.

twiz90

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011

I'm almost positive it is not a "broken card" because previously i had a GTX 560 ti and it was saying the exact same thing, and I am puzzled as to why it is STILL saying this after purchasing a new card. :(

liquidchild

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Didn't check out the site before posting...but when in doubt It cant hurt to take a new card if its within the 30 days. I had newegg take back my 6970 right when i got it because the metal bracket was bent. the card was fine but you can never be too careful

liquidchild

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Well it could be a lot of things. Maybe the site messed up his driver? never heard of that happening but when I went to the site it wanted a lot of info over my network. Do you have more then one PC twiz?

twiz90

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011

I used it before for something other than BF3 but I used it before and after install yes.

Yes, I installed the latest version from Microsoft's website.

twiz90

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011

No I do not, I just have one main desktop that I use. My girlfriend used to have an HP laptop but it overheated and fried xD

twiz90

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011

I have a gigabyte motherboard. Here is the exact model.

GA-MA785GT-UD3H

Also I did a flash of the BIOS so I could install my new CPU. My current BIOS version is F9B

twiz90

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011

I did the custom install and performed a clean install of the drivers if that is what you are asking?