GeForce GTX 580M SLI Vs. Radeon HD 6990M CrossFire

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I'm amazed that this product even exists. The market for people willing to pay $7k for a behemoth gaming laptop has to be pretty miniscule.

decembermouse

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
Come on, AMD, I've seen too many articles like this declaring Nvidia's new solution to be the superior one. We know that AMD's cards tend to be more power-efficient, but that only goes so far for some people. Keep that advantage certainly, but become more competitive with overall performance as well.

Do you really need this much performance in a laptop, I curious. A GTX 560M could run most games on medium-high anyways (on a laptop) those laptops run about $1100, the saved money could get you a beast SB-E or BD comp and then some left for the college fund.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]aznshinobi[/nom]Do you really need this much performance in a laptop, I curious. A GTX 560M could run most games on medium-high anyways (on a laptop) those laptops run about $1100, the saved money could get you a beast SB-E or BD comp and then some left for the college fund.[/citation]Do you really think so? Because 1920x1080 seems to be a fairly popular resolution for 17" notebooks, and a single GTX 580M appears barely-adequate for medium-settings at that resolution. Well, maybe a single HD 6990M would do. That's why the article suggested the HD 6990M might be a top solution for slightly smaller notebooks, aka "normal sized" 17" notebooks.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]377W lol, that needs a big ass AC Adaptor![/citation]Remember that's input wattage FOR the adapter. The output was STILL less than 300W. These high-capacity power bricks are far from being 80-Plus Gold rated!

Todd Sauve

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]Do you really think so? Because 1920x1080 seems to be a fairly popular resolution for 17" notebooks, and a single GTX 580M appears barely-adequate for medium-settings at that resolution. Well, maybe a single HD 6990M would do. That's why the article suggested the HD 6990M might be a top solution for slightly smaller notebooks, aka "normal sized" 17" notebooks.[/citation]

This entire article is eminently STUPID! Who is going to spend that kind of money on a notebook simply so they can play games on it?

And is there a human being on this planet that can make use of a resolution like 1920x1080 on a 17" notebook screen in order to play games?

It is little wonder that the rest of the world finds us degenerate when we will indulge ourselves with toys like this, and at such a scandalous price, while millions of our fellow human beings are simply starving to death as we speak ... ;(

Fokissed

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]todd sauve[/nom]This entire article is eminently STUPID! Who is going to spend that kind of money on a notebook simply so they can play games on it?And is there a human being on this planet that can make use of a resolution like 1920x1080 on a 17" notebook screen in order to play games?It is little wonder that the rest of the world finds us degenerate when we will indulge ourselves with toys like this, and at such a scandalous price, while millions of our fellow human beings are simply starving to death as we speak ... ;([/citation]
Not sure if troll or just stupid...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]jaksikaks[/nom]Isn't most of the tested games TWIMTBP (NVidia sponsored titles)?[/citation]Don't know, don't care, doesn't matter as long as these titles haven't had an issue of fairness in the past. We've see many games sponsored by one side or the other favor the side that didn't provide that sponsorship. Ask Angelini, he's the man!

trandoanhung1991

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]I'm amazed that this product even exists. The market for people willing to pay $7k for a behemoth gaming laptop has to be pretty miniscule.[/citation]

Well, there certainly is a market for those. I wonder how many professionals actually run on gaming workstations because the same kind of power using professional cards are so much more expensive.

Other than that, buying such a machine purely for gaming is not for everyone. But if you are not able to stay home often, and are an avid gamer, then spending 7k every year or so just to be able to game while on business trips doesn't seem too expensive, actually. Better than not being able to play at all, really.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished
It has a market, and the market is full of dumb people.
Get a mid range laptop which plays games and not only that with the money you left over you could save it to buy a new laptop in the future.

Peace.

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
[citation][nom]todd sauve[/nom]This entire article is eminently STUPID! Who is going to spend that kind of money on a notebook simply so they can play games on it?And is there a human being on this planet that can make use of a resolution like 1920x1080 on a 17" notebook screen in order to play games?It is little wonder that the rest of the world finds us degenerate when we will indulge ourselves with toys like this, and at such a scandalous price, while millions of our fellow human beings are simply starving to death as we speak ... ;([/citation]
Yeah, actually most of our stuff is based off of wants. So how about we sell all our stuff that we don't need and donate the money to our fellow human beings. Seriously, dude? > 99% of us just oooohhh and aaaaahhh and flip to another webpage, while you get on your soapbox. get a life

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Some people just like having a laptop and the mobility it affords. This laptop is not the best example.

Take the Alienware M18x, it supports both the 6990m CF and GTX 580m SLI but also has a Sandy Bridge processor and can leverage the IGP for some serious battery life (abut 4.5-5 hours - I have verified this on mine as have others).

True, $7k laptops are not going to be too common - but Eurocomm is also known for stupidly high mark-ups. For example, the following Alienware was less than $4k including warranty for me (from my sig on notebook review forums - where I have over 10k posts.....). Additionally x7200 systems come in around the $4k mark regularly from other vendors.

Intel Core i7 2920xm | 8GB (4x2GB) Kingston HyperX DDR3-1866 PnP Ram | Radeon Mobility 6990 CrossFireX | Intel 320 160GB SSD | WD Scorpio Black 750GB 7200rpm HDD | Intel WiFi 6300 | Slot Load Blu-Ray Player
3DMark Vantage: P29255 | 3DMark06: 31919

If over clocked this laptop is an absolute monster (note the scores in my sig above, again, on a laptop) while offering some features like a backlit keyboard. Go ahead and call the backlights a stupid flashy gimmick, but every person who has seen my laptop (both kids and adults) wanted to have a backlit keyboard so there is clearly some demand for them.

I had a desktop with watercooled i7 965 and dual 5870s and sold it and got this laptop. It was an easy decision and I have a more capable system now in both performance and flexibility.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]Don't know, don't care, doesn't matter as long as these titles haven't had an issue of fairness in the past. We've see many games sponsored by one side or the other favor the side that didn't provide that sponsorship. Ask Angelini, he's the man![/citation]

F1 and STALKER were actually AMD games. JC2 is an Nvidia game. Can't remember--was Crysis also NV? That'd make it 2v2.

JohnA

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]trandoanhung1991[/nom]Well, there certainly is a market for those. I wonder how many professionals actually run on gaming workstations because the same kind of power using professional cards are so much more expensive.[/citation]

It depends on the application. I've got a Dell 17" 1920 * 1200 I use for CAD work. It has an FX3700M in it, which was about a thousand dollar adder at the time, maybe 1500. For the software I use, It would blow away SLI 580's even today because the BIOS is crippled in the consumer cards. In some apps, the consumer cards are just fine.

Yes the dollars sound big, but think about the other costs. A top engineer or CAD driver is gonna run you 6 figures or close to it. The software on my machine is over 50k, plus over 10K a year in maintenance. The guy in the next office has WELL over 100k in software on his. If I can spend a few grand on a better laptop that gives a 5 to 10% increase, it's worth it. Kind of like tire prices on a Ferrari.

Status
Not open for further replies.